It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Lady Uses Racial Slur And Gets Away With It

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I don't think of "redskin" as a slur, but then I live close to Oklahoma.

Oklahoma is based on Choctaw Indian words which translate as red people (okla meaning "people" and humma meaning "red").

What are they going to do next? Demand that they change the state's name because you are effectively saying "redskin" every time you use it?

I do see that Chief Wahoo is on the chopping block, though. I'm actually surprised this one didn't start with him. He does look like a caricature.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
And yet some still see it as an opportunity to trash a person that has done what 95% of us have, with the same ignorance of the word.

Where have I trashed anyone?

You see, that's the double-standard that comes with political correctness. It's an arbitrary weapon used at the discretion of the wielder.

Ahem, oh yeah, plead innocent why don't you? I believe your tossing out the notion of selling old rotten mayonnaise to Canadians could be a call to arms. Either you take it back or we spread that stuff all over our lettuce patches, O Bunny Dearest.

ETA: JYP are the letters of my license plate.
edit on 24-6-2014 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I agree with the earlier sentiments on the thread.

Most of us, me included, don't/didn't even know that was a racial slur. Had no idea that that term even related to Gypsy at all. Give the first lady a break here. She's a normal person just like you and me.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
I think it's another non-issue. TONS of those lately. My 2 points:

1) Who hasn't used that word?
2) How many even know it's a racial slur?

I didn't know it was a racial slur.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
Where the term gypped might have its origens on being swindled by gypsies, it has never been used as a racial slur. Unlike say redskin which nobody whit a brain woud start tossing around a reservation.

I don't know.
One public school on a reservation in Red Mesa, Arizona apparently picked that name for their Team.

Tea Party News Network

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I didn't even know that was a racial slur till I read this thread. First time I have ever heard of anyone being offended by it.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Bout the only school that has stuck to that nickname as well. There was far more that had it and have dropped it since.
And this is ATS so I will throw out that I would bet the Washington Redskins are being very $urpportive of them keeping that name.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: beezzer

Do you think she would have used the term had she known its history?

Do you think her statement is equal to some of the slurs that have been in the news lately (the N-word and Redskins)?

I've asked his many times and have never gotten a proper response.

Is there a scale for offensive words?
Is there a rating system?
Point scale?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Apologies for the Canadian remark. I just couldn't miss out on an oppourtunity to poke some fun at our northern cousins.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
I agree with the earlier sentiments on the thread.

Most of us, me included, don't/didn't even know that was a racial slur. Had no idea that that term even related to Gypsy at all. Give the first lady a break here. She's a normal person just like you and me.

I agree.

But you see the dangers of using/abusing PC?

It can be a very sharp double-edged sword.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

I know a Navy Chief who was punished for using the term "flip chart" when giving a lecture and in reference to the chart comprised of sheets of paper that you write on and then "flip" over to a new sheet when you wanted to write some more. He was being racially insensitive according to the complainant because "flip" is a derogatory term for Philipino. This sort of nonsense will not end until the major proponents of it feel the results of these stupid PC polices.

All these years I thought Flip Wilson was black. Who knew?

-----------------------------------------

You know what this country needs? An Official Handbook of Unacceptable Racial, Sexist, Ageist, and other Politically Incorrect Terms. A definitive guide to what not to say in order to avoid offending someone. The book should also have a suggested list of punishments for saying prohibited words. If it's not in the book, you can say it.
edit on 24-6-2014 by VictorVonDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I think those who show their offence and bring it up in public discourse are the more racist. Such actions shows that one is overly concerned about race, racial differences and minority, even going so far as to take offence for the entirety of a race under a veil of sensitivity.

Who really cares about the pigment of someone's skin? The PC crowd.
edit on 24-6-2014 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
You get a 2-4. That's what we call a case(24) of beer here.

a reply to: aboutface

Apologies for the Canadian remark. I just couldn't miss out on an oppourtunity to poke some fun at our northern cousins.

It's all good man. We love you too.

And:

Is there a scale for offensive words?
Is there a rating system?
Point scale?

Personally I'm of the Carlin camp on words. Words don't offend. People offend. The problem with that today is that people are getting offended by nothing. Not the words. They are offended by the people. It's a sad commentary.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
nvm. This "discussion" is too stupid for words.
edit on 6/24/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Michelle doesn't strike me as the kind of lady who is linguistically aware enough to know where certain words come from. Wouldn't hold it against her.

At a recent event she said schoolchildren should eat more salad and there should be less crackers. I wasn't offended because I don't feel like a cracker.
edit on 2014 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Do you think she would have used the term had she known its history?

Don't know. I honestly don't know what she knows or how she thinks. We all know the history of the word now.

Will YOU use it?

Do you think her statement is equal to some of the slurs that have been in the news lately (the N-word and Redskins)?

Again, point scale?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I appreciate your humor. "The truth is said in jest". Point taken.

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein
She is black, nothing she says is racist remember?

I have actually seen people at this site say just that .. that only white people can be racist.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
More gypsies?

OMG... From a liberal source...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I know, using huffpo breaks about a thousand rules on ATS.

My apologies... And my sincere apologies to all gypsies on behalf of myself and our first lady.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
I have actually seen people at this site say just that .. that only white people can be racist.

That is SO racist.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'm 3/4 Gypsy, and this bothers me not at all. The other 1/4 is Norwegian, so maybe that's the reason. We (my parents and grandparents) survived the camps. I think we'll survive this.

edit on 6/24/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join