learn more

First Lady Uses Racial Slur And Gets Away With It

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+24 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Who cares about the Redskins? Probably not first lady Michelle Obama, who turned her sights on insulting the Romani minority community Monday.

While describing her struggles as a working mother, the usually politically correct first lady used the racial slur, gypped.

“The first thing I tried to do, which was a mistake, was that I tried the part-time thing… I realized I was getting gypped on that front,” Obama told ABC’s Robin Roberts at the White House Summit on Working Families. “What happened was I got a part-time salary but worked full time.”

The term “gypped” is a racial slur deriving from the word “gypsy,” a slur for the Roma. The slur refers to the act of defrauding or robbing through practices such as swindling or cheating. The correct usage of the term is most certainly not synonymous to “slighted or “cut short.”

Defenders of Romani point out that the abbreviation, “gyp,” is nothing more than a callous slur used by the culturally insensitive. Similar slurs to “gypped” include “Jewed down” or calling someone an “Indian giver.”

Linky-poo

First things first. I post this with tongue firmly planted in cheek. I found it funny. In no way, do I think Michelle Obama is racist towards gypsies.

But with the PC environment, the drama with the Washington Red-toned-pigmented-epidermis, I thought this was too good to pass up.

What do you think?

Should she apologise?
Attend sensitivity training?
Get fired from her position?

As always, I leave it to you, ATS, to read, reply, ignore, or simply buy used mayonnaise and resell it to Canadians.

Regards,

beez

+37 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I think it's another non-issue. TONS of those lately. My 2 points:

1) Who hasn't used that word?
2) How many even know it's a racial slur?

+26 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer
Well!
She should be sued.
She should step down as FLOTUS, abdicate her throne, as it were.
She should be permanently banned from holding any government office or position.

I mean, that is what she would want if it was a NBA team owner talking about blacks... right?

+17 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

How many even know it's a racial slur?

No excuse.
Only the Romani minority community may use the term without fear of repercussion, if the recent past has taught us anything.

link   

Just as many people who knew Redskin was a slur. Hardly anyone. God o'l American education system.
edit on 24-6-2014 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

+23 more 
link   

She is black, nothing she says is racist remember?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

No excuse.
Only the Romani minority community may use the term without fear of repercussion, if the recent past has taught us anything.

So a person is guilty even if they didn't know they were committing a crime?

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
I think it's another non-issue. TONS of those lately. My 2 points:

1) Who hasn't used that word?
2) How many even know it's a racial slur?

Exactly why I brought it up. Our collective language(s) have so many words with basis in so many things that it is nearly impossible to form a complete sentence without the faux offense of someone or some group.

Even people who preach at the altar of PC aren't immune.

Which is why all of this; redskins, gypped, etc. is just silly theatre.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I have a feeling that the people who get upset about this are people who only get upset with racial slurs when they are made by their political opponents.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Do we hold the First Lady to the same standards as the great unwashed?

*gasp*

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

No excuse.

You have surely heard that ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law, right?

I italicized the word law, because in a free society, one should be able to say anything they want as long as it causes no harm. When I say harm, I do not include 'hurt feelings'.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: kimar
I have a feeling that the people who get upset about this are people who only get upset with racial slurs when they are made by their political opponents.

Exactly!

PC is nothing more than a weapon used to punish your opponents.

It is based on "feelings" and abstract emotions.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
OK. I was ignorant of the origin of that word. I have used it a thousand times and never meant squat against anybody. I couldn't tell you if I ever even met a Gypsy.

I am guessing FLOTUS was probably in the same boat.

However, that just must mean it is time for a pride parade, a national awareness week, lots of litigation, and outrage all around.

Harumph!

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I never knew that was the origin of that word...heck....I thought it was spelled "jipped".

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I just had a thought. There must be people out there paid to hang on every word of political opponents to grasp any straw to slam them. You couldn't pay me enough to do that.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Feel as you will, this thread brings up a great conversation. Are we being too sensitive or not sensitive enough. I bet gypsy's hate the term. I actually met the family from that gypsy show on TV (are there more than one?
) and I'd venture to say the chill father may have used the term himself. Just my impression of the guy. It may have been adapted by our culture.
edit on 24-6-2014 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY
OK. I was ignorant of the origin of that word. I have used it a thousand times and never meant squat against anybody. I couldn't tell you if I ever even met a Gypsy.

I am guessing FLOTUS was probably in the same boat.

However, that just must mean it is time for a pride parade, a national awareness week, lots of litigation, and outrage all around.

Harumph!

Yeah well you also aren't the FLOTUS....She should know better than to use anything like that in explaining anything about anytime! Her comments should always be politically correct, ALWAYS!

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
That is not exactly what I was getting at. Just that it doesn't seem like there was any ill will intended by Mrs. Obama.

What one calls political correctness, another calls not being a mean-spirited ass.
edit on k2206pmTue, 24 Jun 2014 15:22:56 -0500 by kimar because: word change to encompass whole meaning

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I opened this thread expecting the worst, and now feel gypped.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Yes...

It is known as Ignorantia juris non excusat or ignorantia legis neminem excusat.
obligatory wiki link
"Ignorance of the law is no excuse"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join