It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Ain't Your Daddy's Cigarette

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: signalfire
Yeah, and when are we gonna sue those alcohol companies for their murder of the American peoples, and the automobile companies for the same, and the companies that produce forks, you know because of them we now have an obesity epidemic!
Or how about nosey nancies just shut up, live and let live.
I don't scream at you for your habits.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
I smoke a pack a day...my relatives that didn't smoke at all, ended up in care facilities with one of them having Parkinson's, and the others with Alzheimer's and/or dementia, suffering for years and years, slowly wasting away mentally and physically. both my dad and uncle, the only ones that continued smoking, died instantly of massive heart attacks....now, which way would you want to go?

I have to agree with you .Nicotine has the ability to protect the nerve cells this is so well known to the "anti smoking brigade even they have to be weighing in the pros and cons of Prohibition.

You have to remember Prohibition? the anti drinking brigade managed to get the "Demon drink banned" and yes it did kill immoderate drinkers. But prohibition kick started the Great Depression, consider the many jobs that were lost, Coopers that made barrels, transport drivers that carted the stuff around, the staff in the bars that sold it, the millions in revenue that were lost .Etc ,Etc, Which all added up to "urban poverty" so what caused the most death and misery? Urban poverty, or the demon drink?

Now we are off again, the Prohibitionist are meddling with an established legal part of the economy, W.H.O. stated that smoking per see didn't cause lung cancer but it was a contributing factor. IE.80% of those that get lung cancer don't smoke. In fact pipe smokers live longer than non smokers. So why do I see little notes on packets of ciggy stating that "Smoking causes lung cancer?" I suggest as smoking becomes more and more politically incorrect, the ageing population will suffer more Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. This alone will again break the back of the economy, and cause more misery than it would have done, in the first place. You stuff around with an established modern economy at your peril.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: g146541
Yeah, and when are we gonna sue those alcohol companies for their murder of the American peoples, and the automobile companies for the same, and the companies that produce forks, you know because of them we now have an obesity epidemic!

Wow, project much??

This wasn't a post about whether you smoke or not, it was a post about how the cigarette companies have made their products far more addictive, and more attractive to children.

But I understand. Nicotine can make a person nervous.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire

originally posted by: g146541

Wow, project much??

This wasn't a post about whether you smoke or not, it was a post about how the cigarette companies have made their products far more addictive, and more attractive to children.

But I understand. Nicotine can make a person nervous.

Don't be naïve, it is a tobacco hit piece and nothing more.
Besides, tobacco companies dropped the things that could be considered kiddie advertising years ago, remember joe camel???
There are places tobacco cannot be advertised anymore because some nervous nancy whined "It's for the kiddies"...
Yes, I have heard the recent propaganda of how tobacco makes you edgy and twitch.
Funny though, the only people I really know of like that are non smokers and people who have quit.
For thousands of years tobacco has calmed, I guess the formula changed, damn those lying Lakota!

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
So, is it just me??? Or how many cigarettes do you need to smoke to get addicted?
I usually smoke when I'm out socially drinking (which is once in a while) but I do smoke a lot sometimes...

And I can go 3-4 months without even wanting one after smoking like a pack a day for a couple days+ a couple cigarettes here and there afterwords, but none during the 3-4month period. I don't know maybe it's just me. I'd have to say food is more addicting than cigarettes, but what kind of chemicals/ingredients are they putting in these things to make them more addicting??
I might have to quit smoking now, I can't afford to get addicted lol, thx for the post

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Reading this thread makes me want to have a smoke. I have been slowing down. I went from a pack a day to a pack about every 4 or 5 days. I crave it most when I'm drinking around other smokers. A smoke after a good meal is nice. I see nothing wrong with enjoying a little tobacco here and there. We're all going to die.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
i'm a heavy smoker, almost 50 yrs, now.

i never get sick, besides a light cold for a couple days about once a year when the weather changes, it seems.
i believe smoking protects me. lol.

my wife gets sick a lot and she doesn't smoke. i don't smoke around her at all. so no 2nd hand bs.

great grandma quit at 93 and lived to 103.

so either it will catch up to me all at once and i will explode or something else will take me out.

i want to vap to at least cut down on (lights up) on the cost of ciggy lighters.

i have gone about 30 days trying to quit, once in my life.
i can go without for a regular movie but more than 2 hrs i have to recharge the lungs.

it's expensive and it sucks that i am like this.

so the new ciggs don't bother me, they wouldn't make a difference in my addiction.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Reading this thread makes me want to have a smoke. I have been slowing down. I went from a pack a day to a pack about every 4 or 5 days. I crave it most when I'm drinking around other smokers. A smoke after a good meal is nice. I see nothing wrong with enjoying a little tobacco here and there. We're all going to die.

"Cool Stogies I have found, short and not to big around" My intensive research, seems to show in research ten per day is good for you. The nicotine lasts 12 hours in the system. After that its psychological. So the less you smoke the less the addiction. I gave it up a couple of times once using snuff, and once cold turkey. But I started to put the weight on, I didn't feel better , in fact I felt worse, so after a year decided to have five rollies a day. The weight slowly came back off. That's another thing its an appetite suppressant. So the choice is a short fun filled life. or a long boring one, probably the truth is in-between.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   

yeah.....sure....

let's just completely ignore the 2009 legislation, that (selectively) banned "flavored tobacco"(for the children), like the article did...

let's also completely ignore the fact that the legislation COMPLETELY ignored menthol, which accounted for the largest percentage of "underage" smokers, while completely banning kreteks, which only accounted for less than 1% of "underage" smokers....all that legislation was, was one of those knee-jerk appeasement deals that did absolutely nothing to combat the alleged problem, and only served to attack everyone BUT the ones they claimed to be going after.

i daresay the assertions of your post, and linked article are disingenuous, and intellectually dishonest.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

I'm sure the globalists intent on depopulation would say to you something like . . .

'Naw. Don't quit. Mouth cancer can be such a hip thing.'

Just imagine how ugly and disfigured you'll be on your way to an early death.

Just imagine how wonderful it will be to lay down at night and not be able to keep your spit in your mouth.

Just imagine how exciting it will be to watch the cancer creep up your face into your nose.

Just imagine all those interesting new sounds as you try and breathe normally through the increasing bloody and oozing holes in your head.

Just imagine how warm and fuzzy it will feel the first time your daughter runs into hug you and looks at your increasingly disfigured face and flees in screaming terror.

Just imagine how blessed you'll feel when a disgusted customer, co-worker or colleague spits on you in a mocking retaliation for all your offensive spitting.

= = =

Don't know that the above will help . . . but it could . . . if you really want . . . freedom and health.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: tsingtao

You know, you can quit if you really want to. I smoked for 27 years, at least a pack a day, maybe 2. I quit in August of 2000, thanks to my current wife. Gone are the days of breathing problems and just plain smelling bad.

Oh, and I never have any cravings at all now. Those went away after the first year without smoking. Of course, I had to get good and used to drinking without smoking first. Now I can drink all I want and never think about cigs.
edit on 6/25/2014 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

i doubt kids are saying "huh?" to you as if they dont know what youre saying. theyre taught in school what cigarettes do to a persons health. regardless of how bad it is for you or what you think you know about cigarettes you must remember it is the other persons choice and its slightly rude of you to go around saying what you say. its like you assume kids these days are more stupid than the kids that were smoking when you were young. nothing has changed. youre just older now so youre seeing it from a different perspective. but like i said before, not your decision to pass judgement on other people for something as small as cigarette smoking. people have been smoking tobacco for hundreds of years. and theyll probably continue to do so.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsingtao
i'm a heavy smoker, almost 50 yrs, now.

it's expensive and it sucks that i am like this.

so the new ciggs don't bother me, they wouldn't make a difference in my addiction.

For a heavy smoker, 2 packs a day for 50 years, from the 1950s or 60s that's about $25,000 to $30,000 spent on them. At the end they don't even have the money to bury their spouse when they die. Pitiful.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: youdidntseeme

Hookah is worse for you than cigs, bro.

Im not a doctor, but Senior Consultant and Head of the Department of Respiratory & Critical Care Medicine at Singapore General Hospital, Loo Chian Min, is. He did a study that concluded a single shisha session has the same effects on the body as smoking 200 cigarettes because of the deep inhalation and amount of smoke people inhale.

), it is estimated that a smoker inhales half a litre of smoke per cigarette, while a shisha smoke can take in anything from just under a sixth of a litre to as much as a litre of smoke per inhalation.

Put down the pipe man, cigs are starting to look a bit more appealing huh?

London-based Department of Health and the Tobacco Control Collaborating Centre have found that one session of smoking shisha resulted in carbon monoxide levels spiking to at least four times more than the amount produced by one cigarette.

www.health... xchange.com.sg/healthyliving/ManagingChronicIllnesses/Pages/Shisha-200-Times-More-Harmful-Than-Cigarettes.aspx
edit on 26-7-2014 by CZ75P01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

I went to a hookah bar once. Not for me. I felt nauseous.

Chew like red man is good for taking the sting out of a jellyfish or wasp encounter. There are some uses.

It is almost like it is our nature for some of us to smoke.
edit on 26-7-2014 by jrod because: a

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire
I keep wondering when the forces of capitalism are going to be mitigated somewhat by charges of attempted murder and endangering the welfare of children with obvious known killer products?

Unlikely to be soon while national governments make the amounts they do from taxes on tobacco, and also save a fortune in pension payments due to earlier deaths.
Nah, smoking is worth big money at governmental levels so any ban would cost an economy big time, and until that revenue stream can be replaced in some other way it will continue to be legal.

Personally I don't support any bans on citizens using any substances which may cause harm to themselves but nobody else, but then I've done all sorts in life and you will never hear me bitching about 'Oh I'm addicted and it's the sellers fault' - lame, we walk our own path in life, and if a child has the money to buy cigarettes then they probably got the cash from a parent who has got such a crap relationship with their child that they didn't even know they were being bull#ted about what it was spent on.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I've been smoking for 12 years and I'm 25. I was so attracted to the idea because of movies. All the cool people and tough people in movies smoke. Hate these things!

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: junkk
Are you blaming the movies or your lack of motivation/willpower for choosing to continue smoking now you are 25?
...for the record, I smoke, and blame lack of motivation/willpower from myself (with a bit of apathy thrown in) for continuing to do so.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Well I couldn't blame movies for continuing to smoke, but I would say they definitely encouraged it. I continue for the same reason as everybody else I guess. "Too hard" to quit.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: junkk
Lack of motivation/willpower then, 'too hard' is pretty lame and cries victim.
...at least I'm honest lol

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join