It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of the most intelligent argments ever!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

No second line needed! A great video between, Arthur C Clark, Stephen Hawkins, and Carl Sagan!

edit on 24-6-2014 by MarsIsRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Looks like none of the intelligent arguments ever.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Looks like none of the intelligent arguments ever.

?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Intelligent in what box? One that is closed off and only sees past the nose to the hand. Or one that is open that sees another Earth out in space with the same exact life on it we have without ever even knowing about it?

Be more specific please?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: metalholic
My reply was to a blank post which the OP has since edited.

However, in spite of the claim of the OP that no comment is required, the standards of ATS state otherwise.

edit on 6/24/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Good lookin!

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

This is one of the most intelligent grouping of people ever! Are you not interested in what they have so say?

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: MarsIsRed

Yes, I am. However, I'm more interested in what the person who posts a video has to say about it. Otherwise, what's the point of ATS? We could all just watch youtube instead.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Yes, I am. However, I'm more interested in what the person who posts a video has to say about it. Otherwise, what's the point of ATS? We could all just watch youtube instead.

Well done. I suffered from the usual ATS embedding problem. Do you have a point?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Yes.
I wonder, what points in particular, you find most worthy of discussion.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
three of the greatest minds discussing complex ideas, what more could I add?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Jeeeeez Carl Sagan's voice is entrancing!
Such an educated selfless man, what a loss.

Thanks OP for the share.

edit on 24-6-2014 by muSSang because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
What Phage is trying to say is this...

15k.) Video links/embeds: You will not embed or Post a link to a video without a reasonable description of its content and why it interests you, is germane to the topics discussed on the Websites or the topic of an existing thread should you post it in a reply to an existing thread.

ATS T&C

A little more conversation please

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Yes.
I wonder, what points in particular, you find most worthy of discussion.

Every single point raised in the vid. You're issue is.?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   

well, he said it is one of the most intelligent arguments ever.

however, I would like to hear from OP as well.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but this doesn't strike me as a very intelligent argument or discussion. I am willing to accept that these are intelligent men, but that has only a limited bearing on the intelligence of their argument.

Remember, first, that the video is 30 years old. More important, though, is that they're arguing the same thing mankind has been discussing in one form or another since the beginning of time; are there creatures above us in space and will they come to us?

You can use any terminology you choose for the discussion, but the answer has always been the same. "We don't know, but it will be important if they come to us."

They point out that anything within 70 light years (as of today) could have picked up our television broadcast waves. yet they're not here.

Clarke says there are aliens and they must be "good" aliens, because if they weren't they would have destroyed themselves. Sorry, again, but that's not a particularly powerful argument. Imagine a planet full of Nazis with the ability to travel through space. Would they destroy themselves, or set about conquering planet after planet?

The discussion of why we have to keep searching for aliens baffled me for it seemed to have no particular logical basis. What, for example, if we hear a "beep-beep" from hundreds of light years away, and we know it's general direction? We're not going to go out searching for it. We haven't been able to set foot on Mars, and we're nowhere near getting anybody out of our little solar system.

For the third time, sorry, I thought it was pretty light stuff that was treated just as well on Reality Remix (the ATS discussion program), a week or two ago.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Hi

Given what we are discovering almost weekly with regard to planets in other star systems, and the number that may be located in a "goldilocks" zone I would say most likely we are at least known about, here on Earth.

The problem is our behaviour, just a shade darker in skin tone, and we are at war, either literally or figuratively. Imagine if potential visitors looked even a little different to us, what kind of reception might they expect?

Perhaps they know about us, observe us, and ultimately ignore us.

I dunno...

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   

As I see it the main problem we have re Aliens and visits are quite simply the vast distances, for example if we look at the furthest star in our own Galaxy that is around 75,000 light years so if we could see it the light has taken 75,000 years to get to us.

If a race evolved on a planet in orbit around it like us and went through a similar process of scientific discovery only a few thousand years before us they to may found NO sign of other life nearby and given up looking or have been wiped out in some natural/self made disaster.

People often refer to Drakes equation an other data now comming in re number of planets around stars but being brutally honest it's all guesswork applied to assumptions when working out the chance of other life.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Then we would have youtube argments where spell-check runs rampant!

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Carl Sagan said he does believe in ufos but would not say so publicly because it would put his work in jeopardy. Link The whole conversation ignores the evidence and retreats into a scientistic nutshell.

edit on 24-6-2014 by EnPassant because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join