I still doubt it will be in my lifetime, but probably in my kids' lifetime.
Moreover, it's important to at least have a BOB with you all the time, for ANY kind of emergency, SHTF or not.
Can't tell you how many times mine has come in handy, where I've had to dig something out of it to use.
My own prep plan is basically a 5 year plan, as budget dictates things in stages. In addition, life events can alter it as well.
My primary focus areas are:
1. Replenish-able Water Supply (we have a well, but I need non-grid access to it)
2. Replenish-able Food Supply (planned garden, fruit trees and bushes, and we just got chickens, may add goats)
3. Numerous Power Options (Generators, diesel fuel stockpile, batteries, solar, propane, etc.)
4. Information (pdfs, actual books, videos, schoolbooks, etc.)
5. Transportation (we have horses, and a diesel truck and regular fuel truck, hopefully ways to make biodiesel, etc.)
6. Defense (guns, ammo, improved fencing and numerous levels of fencing, vehicle stoppers, etc.)
7. People (getting a good group of skilled individuals together who are also friends)
edit on 26-6-2014 by Gazrok because: (no reason