It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BPA Substitute as bad as BPA? Exposure to BPA substitute causes hyperactivity and brain changes in f

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I'm going to post two articles about recent findings with the BPA substitute, BPS

BPA Substitute as bad as BPA? Exposure to BPA substitute causes hyperactivity and brain changes in fish

A chemical found in many "BPA free" consumer products, known as bisphenol S (BPS), is just as potent as bisphenol A (BPA) in altering brain development and causing hyperactive behavior, an animal study finds. The results were presented Sunday at the joint meeting of the International Society of Endocrinology and the Endocrine Society: ICE/ENDO 2014 in Chicago.

BPA has been linked to a wide range of hormone disorders, such as obesity, reproductive cancers and, recently, hyperactivity in children born to women exposed to high levels of this substance during the second trimester of pregnancy. Now, this research in fish found that exposure to BPS, a bisphenol compound, led to hyperactive offspring, just as BPA did.

"BPS, termed the safe alternative to BPA, may be equally as harmful to developing brains," said the study's senior investigator, Deborah Kurrasch, PhD, from Canada's University of Calgary. "Society must place increased pressure on decision makers to remove all bisphenol compounds from manufacturing processes."

The study investigated the effects of BPA and BPS on brain development in zebrafish. This fish is developmentally similar to humans, but the embryo grows externally, enabling researchers to see development of the offspring.

The other study released:
Common BPA substitute, BPS, disrupts heart rhythms in females

In the years since research evidence first showed many potentially damaging health effects of the industrial chemical BPA, some manufacturers have switched to its chemical cousin, BPS, to make hard plastics and other products that they call BPA free, said the study's lead investigator, Hong-Sheng Wang, PhD, from the University of Cincinnati.

Although some BPA-free products contain no bisphenols, Wang said, "BPS is one of the substitutes used in BPA-free products. There is implied safety in BPA-free products. The thing is, the BPA analogs -- and BPS is one of them -- have not been tested for safety in humans."

BPA is an endocrine (hormone) disrupter that can interfere with the actions of native estrogen and other hormones, but it is not clear whether BPS also is disrupts hormones.

In what Wang called "one of the first assessments of BPS' effect in mammalian primary cells or organs," he and his co-workers tested an environmentally relevant dose of BPS in the hearts of approximately 50 rats. The 1-nanomolar dose was in the range of BPS found in human urine samples in a study by other authors.

In the current study, the investigators perfused, or flowed, BPS through the arteries of each animal's pumping heart, after stimulating the heart with the hormone catecholamine to mimic stress. For a control group, 30 rat hearts received only catecholamine and no BPS.

Exposure to BPS rapidly increased the heart rate of female rats and under the stress condition led to arrhythmias -- heart rhythm abnormalities -- far greater than in the control rats that did not receive BPS, Wang reported. Electocardiograms demonstrated that BPS caused extra heartbeats and a racing heartbeat, also known as ventricular tachycardia. In male rats, BPS reportedly did not have this rapid impact on the heart.

Looks like we substituted one bad things for another. BPS, a BPA substitute, is causing health issues too when it was deemed safe to use.

Makes you wonder what other plastic products do to your body. Back to using glass instead of plastic, which is actually better.

If BPA was found in these items, there is a good chance that these items now have BPS:

• Plastic water bottles

• Plastic gallon milk bottles

• Plastic microwavable plates, ovenware, and utensils

• Tooth sealants

• Canned foods and soda cans (most have plastic lining in the cans)

• Baby toys, bottles, pacifiers, and sippy cups

edit on 23-6-2014 by knoledgeispower because: fixing code error

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

Thanks for pointing this out. It's the same mind [snipped] they tried to pull on us with diet food and sugar substitutes.

Use glass, throw out your microwave, buy a toaster oven. The increase in your electricity bill is worth your overall well being, especially for newborns.

S+F

edit on 23-6-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-6-2014 by Kandinsky because: Snipped profanity

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Thanks for pointing this out. Its the same mind [snipped] they tried to pull on us with diet food and sugar substitutes.

Use glass, throw out your microwave, buy a toaster oven. The increase in your electricity bill is worth your overall well being, especially for newborns.

S+F

As soon as I saw this on science daily I had to share it on here and I also shared it on fb. I know a lot of people who just had babies and with all the other chemicals being found in babies, the last thing we need is BPS messing them up too.

I tried to find an article about how much pounds of plastic is found in a new born baby but came across this article instead:

232 Toxic Chemicals found in 10 Babies

Laboratory tests commissioned by the Environmental Working Group have detected bisphenol A (BPA), a plastic component and synthetic estrogen, in umbilical cord blood of American infants.

Nine of 10 randomly selected samples of cord blood tested positive for BPA, an industrial petrochemical.

BPA has been implicated in a lengthening list of serious chronic disorders, including cancer, cognitive and behavioral impairments, endocrine system disruption, reproductive and cardiovascular system abnormalities, diabetes, asthma and obesity.

In all, the tests found as many as 232 chemicals in the 10 newborns, all of minority descent. The cord blood study has produced hard new evidence that American children are being exposed, beginning in the womb, to complex mixtures of dangerous substances that may have lifelong consequences.

A prior study by EWG found that blood samples from newborns contained an average of 287 toxins, including mercury, fire retardants, pesticides, and Teflon chemicals.

Of the 287 chemicals EWG detected in umbilical cord blood, it’s known that:

180 cause cancer in humans or animals

217 are toxic to your brain and nervous system

208 cause birth defects or abnormal development in animal tests

edit on 23-6-2014 by knoledgeispower because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-6-2014 by Kandinsky because: snipped quoted profanity

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Our species has proven to be very resilient to pollution. The fundamental reality is out of seven billion of us there will be enough of us that mutate and adapt to continue until we advance enough to fix the problems caused by our industrial advancements.

Those who live on the rubbish dumps of the present will be the genetic leaders of the future....

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

first,, love the tie..lol
and yes, heating anything in plastics..is bad
hate to say it but, it was known a long time ago, the estrogen mimicking component was present in all plastics.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lil Drummerboy

hate to say it but, it was known a long time ago, the estrogen mimicking component was present in all plastics.

I know but BPS was deemed a safe substitute for BPA

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
This isn't difficult. Cook out of pyrex or ceramic ware. Drink out of glass containers. I use tomato sauce containers for a week without a need to wash, then replace with the next.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoledgeispower

originally posted by: Lil Drummerboy

I know but BPS was deemed a safe substitute for BPA

yes Im sure the damage control group had to present something for the plastics world.
and I am in the plastics world ( I work in plastics molding)
anything food related is subject to the harmful effects of (it)
if one truly wants to escape to concern of petro-contamination then.. stop using plastic for anything food related.
The general public is doomed, by simple stupidity and ignorance
no one researches anything, they blindly believe the producer at face value.
people dont really cook anymore.. fast food is all they know.
Mcdonalds cooks their burgers in plastic dishes *(microwaving)*
I could list them all but its no point unless the masses give a $hit
Fend for your selves and the war will be won

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
You can't avoid these endocrine disruptors. They are in everything. It may not be in plastic when you get it, but it was probably in plastic for a while during processing or transportation. We have become obsessed with plastic.

I read that BPA is not the only bad chemical in plastic, but they want us to think it is. There are a couple of more bad chemicals almost as bad as BPA that we hear little about. That is the way they work, they pick on one chemical to target. The stuff they spray on our food to keep it looking fresh longer is probably a lot worse.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
You can't avoid these endocrine disruptors. They are in everything. It may not be in plastic when you get it, but it was probably in plastic for a while during processing or transportation. We have become obsessed with plastic.

I read that BPA is not the only bad chemical in plastic, but they want us to think it is. There are a couple of more bad chemicals almost as bad as BPA that we hear little about. That is the way they work, they pick on one chemical to target. The stuff they spray on our food to keep it looking fresh longer is probably a lot worse.

yes, clearly why it is highly important to become very aware of what you are eating
and learn to grow you own food and become your own chef..
or.. consider the alternative of escalating healthcare

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: subtopia
Our species has proven to be very resilient to pollution. The fundamental reality is out of seven billion of us there will be enough of us that mutate and adapt to continue until we advance enough to fix the problems caused by our industrial advancements.

Those who live on the rubbish dumps of the present will be the genetic leaders of the future....

I would rather mutate by choice, thank you very much. Good luck finding a girlfriend when you look like this.

I can see it now. I will wake up in a hospital bed like the twilight zone where everyone around me has evolved into the toxic avenger. My beautiful soft skin and moderately good looks will only be seen as an abomination to the more evolved sludge eating chemical resistant, cottage cheese faced race of super humans.

No thanks.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
It would be nice if we had a choice of mitigating chemical toxicity in our lives, but I don't think it is possible at this late date.
The FDA has total control over food and drugs, and they seem to be banning natural alternatives to drugs as fast as they can. They re-name additives that are bad for us so we won't know what we're ingesting, and refuse to openly label GMO products.
I really worry about the genetic damage being done to future generations.

top topics

join