It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Expect More Fireworks At Tonight's Prime-time Oversight Hearing on IRS Obstruction...

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix
a reply to: MarlinGrace

You must be an IRS employee, you post like they audit. Guilty until proven innocent.

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not.

And like I said before, with the IRS it is not guilty until proven innocent. It is, prove you were being truthful on your statement.

When you file your taxes and you sign them...you are making a declaration that everything you are submitting is truth and you have the proper documentation to back it up.

You are trying to compare apples to oranges.

You have much to learn Grasshopper...

12 Fatal Mistakes Taxpayers Make in IRS Audits

Audited by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)Fatal Mistake #1 – Failure to limit the scope of issues under the audit. When the IRS notifies you of an audit of your return, it is most often being requested for purposes of examining certain discrete tax issues presented on your return. A taxpayer can undermine his or her position by failing to limit the audit to only those issues. You should avoid letting the IRS auditor to go on a hunt in search of additional taxes from you.

Fatal Mistake #2 – Thinking the IRS agent is your friend. The IRS agent may be a very nice and likeable person. However, it is the IRS agent's job to represent the IRS, not you. Any communications you make can be used against you in the audit, on appeal, or in a court of law.

Fatal Mistake #3 – Letting the IRS Agent review your entire file. Many honest taxpayers believe that because they never intended to evade any taxes, they can simply give all of their tax workpapers to the auditor. This can be a huge mistake. If the auditor has your entire file, the auditor is allowed to hunt for additional taxes from you. Instead, you or your tax advisor should only give the agent those records that are relevant to the issues under audit by the IRS.

Fatal Mistake #4 – Assuming the IRS agent's audit conclusions are correct. Unfortunately, many taxpayers conclude that the auditor's adjustments are gospel. However, the IRS auditor is often incorrect. This can arise from an incorrect understanding of the law or facts surrounding your case. For example, since it is your burden to prove deductions, the auditor will deny you any deductions unless you prove them. But your burden is not so overwhelming that deductions based on lost records cannot be proved with such evidence as oral testimony, affidavits, or reconstructed records which may not have been presented to the IRS agent.

Fatal Mistake #5 – Failure to Assert your right to an audit which is at a time and place convenient for you. Although the IRS has the right to audit you, you may have the right to have the audit done at a time and place that is convenient for you. Some audits can even be done by mail. You should take appropriate time to prepare for the audit, and become aware of all of the issues that the IRS agent will examine in the audit.

Internal Revenue ServiceFatal Mistake #6 – Failure to Record the Audit conference. You have the right to record any audit conference, as long as the IRS is also allowed to record the conference. By recording the audit conference, you can prevent the auditor from changing the ground rules of the audit.

Fatal Mistake #7 – Making a statement that you are not 100% sure about. If you are asked a question by the auditor, and you are not certain of the answer, do not be shy to state that you are not sure, and that you will get back to the auditor on that issue. You can't always take back a statement that has already been made, even one that may not be entirely correct.

Fatal Mistake #8 – Lack of respect shown to the IRS agent. Believe it or not, some taxpayers fail to treat the IRS agent with respect. Remember that although the agent is technically your adversary, he or she is just doing their job; they deserve respect. They sometimes have a difficult job. You may compound any problems that you have by making an adversary into an enemy. As my father always said: "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

Fatal Mistake #9 – Failure to call the IRS agent's bluffs. Although you are not allowed to cheat on your taxes, this is still America, and you have as many or more rights than the IRS agent. Don't be afraid to respectfully challenge the agent as to a particular issue, or appeal the decision. The IRS has an Office of Appeals and a Taxpayer Advocate Service which is meant to give taxpayers some redress in those situations where auditors incorrectly assess additional taxes.

Fatal Mistake #10 – Signing a form you don't understand. If you sign certain IRS forms, your signature can act as a waiver of your rights. These can range from extending the statute of limitations on assessment of taxes, the statute of limitations on the collection of taxes, and/or a waiver of one or more of your many rights to appeal. If an agent presents you with one of these forms, you should consult with a CPA or tax attorney to avoid waiving your valuable rights.

Fatal Mistake #11 – Failure to recognize a criminal investigation in progress. If a person from the U.S. Department of Justice appears wearing a firearm, you know that you are being investigated in a criminal tax matter. You should act accordingly; maintain your right to remain silent, say absolutely nothing of substance regarding your taxes or your assets to the official, and contact an attorney immediately.

Fatal Mistake #12 – Failure of not being represented by tax counsel. You should strongly consider retaining tax counsel for the audit; one who is a CPA or attorney familiar with tax issues and audits. Often the tax professional can much more quickly recognize what issues the auditor is exploring, more effectively limit the scope of the audit, and more effectively counter any arguments made by the auditor. The third-party professional can also much more plausibly give the auditor an answer of "I am not sure; can I get back to you on that issue." This will permit you to and the professional to address the issues at a more convenient manner, and in such a way as to avoid being put on the spot during the audit.

Yes, you must be right...the IRS is a piece of cake to deal with....

Des

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

And all of those are common sense for people with at least average intelligence.

The problem isn't the IRS, the problem is that the majority of people are very stupid.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Yep!

As time has gone by, more and more tax laws are added. The more that are added, the more chance there is for someone (a person, an employer, a company, etc) to mess up, miss something, or just not realize that something has changed:

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone
a reply to: kruphix

You are so naive...the more you post, the younger and less attuned to real life you appear.

Des

LOL...if you only knew.

I'll give you a hint though...I pay more in taxes then most people make in a year.

I'm glad you are sooooo freekin' rich you can sit and post on ATS 24/7. One would think someone in your tax bracket could find some time to be a do good philanthropist, instead of pushing an agenda on a conspiracy website.

You should be down in Texas, passing out money to all those kids Obama is bringing over the border. You could be doing so much good in this world...but, I guess sitting with no job to have to go to, just raking in the money, and posting on ATS 24/7, is all you need out of life.

You are still wrong about the IRS. Since you are soooo freekin' rich, I guess your tax consulting firm has to be the ones to deal with them. That of course, leaves you free to post your life away...

Des

edit on 24-6-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I'm curious.

If this were a conservative administration and the IRS had been targeting leftist organisations, would you still be defending the administration and the IRS?

At this point in the investigation, I would have the same opinion I do now no matter who was "targeted".

Nice to know.

When it is 75 out 300 applications targeted...and the Tea Party was a new and growing organization...I don't think it is unreasonable for the IRS to do what it did.

Are you just making up numbers now?

Has there been any other evidence uncovered that says this was a huge conspiracy?

Plenty. Right before an election. Statements from congressmen.

Has there been anything to suggest that the white house was involved at all?

Not a sidggen. /sarc

What convinces you that there is something else going on that you support the continuation of this investigation?

If there was nothing going on, then Lerner would never had plead the 5th.
There'd be no missing emails.
There wouldn't have been long delays in providing information.
The IRS fired the data storage company 2 weeks after the story broke.

Simply put, one ideology was targeted.

That is the truth.

The IRS admits that.

They initially blamed it on rogue IRS agents with political agendas.

Now they say it goes farther up.

Now people are clamming up.

Now evidence is disappearing.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I think you post a lot more than I do, so nice to meet you kettle. But I need something to do with my downtime while I'm working...might as well engage in conversations on topics I'm interested in.

I don't feel the need to detail the charity work I do, I don't do it for recognition, so you can keep assuming I do nothing at all.

However, nothing you said really pertains to this topic...the fact still remains that the IRS isn't bad to deal with if you actually follow the laws and don't actively try to get out of paying taxes.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Oh fer flip's sake, is Issa still beating this dead horse? Oh, and now he's busy insulting people as well. Twit.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I do my own taxes on my computer, don't pay a firm like you do.

And, if you knew me at all, as many here do. You'd know I work from home, own my own little home enterprise business based around my herd of goats. Do most of my posting while making my products at home....you'll not see me posting when I'm out in the field.

Still...the IRS is an outdated out of control goon squad. Who've taken on the roll of being heavy fisted enforcers for this administration. Theses hearings are bringing to light just how far up the food chain, the corruption goes.

Des

link   
a reply to: beezzer

I would have pleaded the 5th just as she did. At that point, it was clear this investigation was no longer a quest for the truth, but a partisan witch hunt. I wouldn't have played their silly games either.

Data and emails go missing every single day...hard drives crash every single day...IT departments screw up every single day.

People watch too much CSI and expect the real world to operate like a TV show. That isn't how reality works.

link   
Some people need to wake the hell up.

IF the IRS is found guilty here that means.

The current guy sitting in the oval office STOLE the election.

And WAS the REASON he out fund raised his challenger.

That is why hard drives, and 'tape' backups were destroyed.

That is why some congressman who shall remain nameless are making a mockery of it.

They are doing EVERYTHING in their power to sweep this CLEAR VIOLATION of the law under the rug.

Good thing some people are fighting for the truth.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone

I do my own taxes on my computer, don't pay a firm like you do.

And, if you knew me at all, as many here do. You'd know I work from home, own my own little home enterprise business based around my herd of goats. Do most of my posting while making my products at home....you'll not see me posting when I'm out in the field.

Still...the IRS is an outdated out of control goon squad. Who've taken on the roll of being heavy fisted enforcers for this administration. Theses hearings are bringing to light just how far up the food chain, the corruption goes.

Des

Not that you asked for my advice, but I would recommend you get an accountant to help with your taxes due to the simple fact of you running your own business. If you had a regular 9-5 with one simple W2, then those computer tax programs work just fine. But sometimes having a professional can save you thousands in the long run. Just my bit of friendly advice.

The IRS isn't outdated, it is our tax system that is outdated.

Please tell me...what has the investigation uncovered so far and up to what point up "the food chain" have the proven this "corruption" goes?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I would have pleaded the 5th just as she did. At that point, it was clear this investigation was no longer a quest for the truth, but a partisan witch hunt. I wouldn't have played their silly games either.

Data and emails go missing every single day...hard drives crash every single day...IT departments screw up every single day.

People watch too much CSI and expect the real world to operate like a TV show. That isn't how reality works.

If she had nothing to hide, why not be honest?

You have been saying all throughout this thread that honest people have nothing to fear from the IRS.

But the IRS cannot be honest in return?

Your sense of responsibility is rather. . . . unusual.

link   

Do you even read what you post?

What about back-up copies?
What about the back-up of the back-ups?

The American people deserve to know the truth no matter how hard it can bite back but it's time to see all the skeletons in all their closets.

link   
a reply to: neo96

IF the IRS is found guilty here that means.

The current guy sitting in the oval office STOLE the election.

Ummmm...what?

Please walk me through A to B on that one.

And WAS the REASON he out fund raised his challenger.

WHAT????

These organizations, by definition of wanting tax exempt status, CAN'T BE INVOLVED WITH POLITICAL CAMPAIGNS OR ACTIVITIES.

So how in the hell would they not receiving tax exempt status effect campaign funding at all???

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Don't want your tax advice, nor need it.

The FACT the hearings are happening, and the FACT that Lerner did plead the 5th...is enough stink for me to draw the conclusion there is a pile-o-#e that made the stink....

Des

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

These organizations, by definition of wanting tax exempt status, CAN'T BE INVOLVED WITH POLITICAL CAMPAIGNS OR ACTIVITIES.

Oh ?

But ones like this one can ?

www.barackobama.com...

Yeah right.

Only the ones that are 'conservative'.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
All this malarkey of innocent until proven guilty......

The IRS has repeatedly provided "proving" statements and emails that show guilt.

Many emails were published after Lois pleaded the 5th.

Here's a good reference block to quote as rebuttals to the obvious Alinsky tactics in play.

Plenty of "not debunked yet" sources.

THE IRS SCANDAL: TIMELINE

sample cookies;

May 31, 2013: It is reported that the IRS is being sued by 25 Tea Party groups in federal court over its illegal targeting practices.
(Source)

June 2013: The Treasury Department's Inspector General reveals that just 6 liberal/left groups were targeted by the IRS, compared to 292 conservative groups. The IG also says that 100% of conservative groups seeking special tax status— i.e., all 292 of them—were put under IRS review, while only 30% of the liberal/left groups were put under such review.
(Source, Source, and Source)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

All this malarkey of innocent until proven guilty......

Malarkey indeed.

American politics does it all the time.

Tried,Judged, and Executed in the courts of public opinion.

IT is the very foundation of American politics.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

If she had nothing to hide, why not be honest?

You have been saying all throughout this thread that honest people have nothing to fear from the IRS.

But the IRS cannot be honest in return?

Your sense of responsibility is rather. . . . unusual.

I don't believe I ever said people have nothing to fear from the IRS...certain people do.

Like I said, I would have done the same thing as she did once it was apparent that this was a witch hunt and not an investigation.

If I were dealing with the IRS, and would recommend this to others as well, just because I have nothing to hide doesn't mean I'm going to provide them with more information than they need or requested.

There is a difference between having nothing to hide and supplying too much information to a party that is on a witch hunt.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join