It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Now the Time for Gun Control?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

I am nothing special in that regard.

You will find that most people who have been exposed to real life have a capacity for these things, have had to develop such an ability for the sake of survival. Those who have been living in cloud cuckoo land, well perhaps they have been ignorant of the realities of life, and thus far have not had to confront them, or develop strategies and experience base to deal with them, but that is a fault which needs correcting, not something to be supported.

One must hope for peace always, and support it where it is found, but not at the expense of a preparedness to fight for ones life if the need should arise.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
Grew up in and around Glasgow, went to a state school and got in more fights than I care to remember. Don't think my urban survival skills are any worse or better than average. Your idea that people can consistently identify those who intend them or others harm in everyday situations is just not plausible. Sometimes yes but if everyone is armed sometimes is not good enough.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

You probably do not even notice your mind making adjustments for these things, if you have been exposed to these situations and have never consciously thought about the body language of those around you. There is nothing wrong with that, but just because you are not aware of it, does not mean that it is not happening in your brain somewhere.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Agree that people develop internal rules to avoid trouble but I feel they are not near as effective as you like to think.
You are also assuming that violent acts are planned or carried out by inherently violent people.
Most are just arguments that get out of hand. Do you really support adding weapons to that mix?
Just add not having a go or being argumentative, find your viewpoint quite interesting just disagree.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

I once knew a guy who carried a pool ball in a sock in his jacket pocket, after the gov went draconian over knife carry.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Hey, this place is designed for exactly this sort of communication, people sharing ideas and opinions on a range of topics.

In my experience, people intent on, or likely to commit violence stick out like a taxi at a bus stop. It does not matter whether we are talking roving groups of thugs, or arguments kicking off in bars, there are always telltales, and I never have to look for them, to see them. Its just the way it is. I do not know anyone who lives a life involving being out and about during the evening, who does not have the ability to see the same things.

Sometimes its obvious without even seeing the individuals involved, from the reactions of others to the potential building up in their midst.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
But we are not could talking roving feral gangs on street corners ir axe murderers. It could be the otherwise good bloke who has had a # day at work, dog died and just found his girlfriend giving a blow job to another man in the pub toilets 30 seconds earlier. when you knock his pint arm as you animatedly describe the offside rule, air guitar moves or the difference between pulling a cask and a keg beer do you want him armed? And if you are also armed what about his mate standing at the bar who just sees you stab his mate apparently unprovoked.

You see were the cycle is going. thrown punches can kill but bit often. Weapons change the dynamic.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
But we are not could talking roving feral gangs on street corners ir axe murderers.

Why not? These things happen after all!

It could be the otherwise good bloke who has had a *snip* day at work, dog died and just found his girlfriend giving a blow job to another man in the pub toilets 30 seconds earlier. when you knock his pint arm as you animatedly describe the offside rule, air guitar moves or the difference between pulling a cask and a keg beer do you want him armed?

If he is a good bloke, he will know that no matter what is going on in his life at that moment, directing anger toward those who do not deserve it is not acceptable conduct for a gentleman, and therefore upon being jostled at the expense of his beer, will merely swear expansively, and accept a replacement pint when offered.

And if you are also armed what about his mate standing at the bar who just sees you stab his mate apparently unprovoked.

You see were the cycle is going. thrown punches can kill but bit often. Weapons change the dynamic.

Yes they do. Weapons being carried, and weapons being drawn are two different things. You do not bring a blade to a fist fight, any more than you bring a knife to a gunfight (unless you REALLY know what you are doing).

But the possibility of weapons being drawn, far from being an escalator of violence, is a healthy reminder for everyone to keep their hands to themselves, and act like grown ups, because the consequences are so much more likely to be unpleasant for someone.

edit on 18-10-2014 by TrueBrit because: Quote tag placement correction.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Much as I love an untouchables reference (cant quote for obvious reasons)
The reality is that if a fight breaks out and weapons are present they will get used.
And good people do make mistakes or have moments of madness. The courts are full of such situations.
I feel you are bring naive in this belief that violence involves good guys and bad guys. And even more naive to think putting weapons of any kind in the mix reduces the chance of violence.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

I am not saying that violence only involves a black and white case of bad guy on good guy. What I am saying is that people who indulge themselves in violence through momentary lapses of judgement, are less likely to misjudge a situation if they are at a higher percentage risk of getting gutted for their trouble.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
As long as people talk about gun rights on forums in lieu of march for them in the streets, people will continue to push the gun control tip a little deeper each time until they are balls deep in slavery.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: OFFTHEGRID

Poverty is the problem.

Not mental health.

Not guns.

Too bad the right is too blind to recognize this.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: duaneology

NOPE, mental health is as WELL. Not just MONEY I wish these ...

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

99.9 Times ,any trouble I have witnessed USUALLY starts with someone STARING harshly.
Some BOZO not smiling, just LOOKING at you like you are something distasteful.
Other times trouble looks around too much. I often look away when I'm talking to scan the area,some are bothered I'm now paying attention but I WATCH everything around me..cause I AM trained that way.

HEY how can a NINJA toy be legal anyway? If I walked around with a Kusari Gamma I WOULD be subject to attack...

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
There are a lot of causes of our gun violence, but the relative ease of acquiring weapons without a doubt contributes to the problem. We need gun control to raise the price of weapons above what gang bangers can afford, and at the same time the increased cost will make legal gun owners more likely to secure their weapons and keep delinquents from getting them easily by theft.

Lets think about this:

Raise the price above what the gang banger can afford? -- So does this mean he just needs to steal more to buy a gun?

just thinking

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
with micheal brown and garner

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: dismanrc

originally posted by: CB328
There are a lot of causes of our gun violence, but the relative ease of acquiring weapons without a doubt contributes to the problem. We need gun control to raise the price of weapons above what gang bangers can afford, and at the same time the increased cost will make legal gun owners more likely to secure their weapons and keep delinquents from getting them easily by theft.

Lets think about this:

Raise the price above what the gang banger can afford? -- So does this mean he just needs to steal more to buy a gun?

just thinking

The black market is where they get their guns and if you priced guns at $10k for a pistol they'd still be selling for $xxx under the table. More likely than even that is they'd just make zip-guns and pistols on a CNC device or even 3d printers.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Nice post!

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: OFFTHEGRID

If this happens I will begin a rebellion.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Go ahead and take our guns away goverment we wont do a darned thing about it, just watch and be dissapointed at our lack of a response.

Just like we have various rights taken away, what do people do . . . . Nothing, so dont expect people to ever and I mean never ever do anything other than well nothing at all.

1 out of 4 of us dont know the earth orbits the sun, nor can a different 1 out of 4 of us locate the USA on a map.

With these kinds of realities being presented dont expect too much of an intelligent lashback when guns are gone.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join