It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello ATS - Your 'local' Fitness Professional here!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
That does however its not to make money, its purely a blog/community ? a reply to: Destinyone

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Haha fantastic ! I hope she does well in her career, and clearly if she can make an old dog do new tricks; she is in the right industry!
a reply to: jacygirl

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Thank you Cody, seems like you've mastered it with that picture
a feat many athletes wish they could perform ! a reply to: cody599

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: fitnessguru

All you need do is contact an admin, or one of the owners... They'll let you know.

Usually it's not a big deal, send one of them a PM.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Thank you for your reply..

I think promoting a website is against terms and conditions.. If in doubt check with a mod..

purp..

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

You would need the permission of the Owners.
Normally, you need to be a member in good standing....and have been here for a bit of time....

So, u2u an Owner....or use this email address with what you wish to link:
[email protected]

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Welcome Fitness Guru!

I have a question for you. About 8 months ago, I had a piece of my meniscus removed from my left knee. Doctor said no squats/leg presses as these are bad for your knee's anyways.

I workout 4-5 days per/wk lifting weights and bike 5 days/wk for 4-6 miles per ride.

Right now, I just do leg extensions and hamstring curls, but my leg's have fell way behind my upper body. This is due to inactivity after the surgery and me not being able to do enough work on my legs/lack of mass building exercises such as squats/leg presses.

What leg exercises can I do to build muscle in my legs and buttocks that are safe post-meniscus surgery.

Thanks.
edit on 23-6-2014 by freedom12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Hello Freedom!

An unfortunate injury, certainly a hindrance to any training taking place. Can I ask was it totally removed because with knowing more about the surgery I wouldn't like to subscribe anything. However, if it was a tear then the following is my stance:

First thing, currently there is (as always) two trains of thought on squats being bad for your knee's.

Both agree that squatting is/can be bad for your knees, one group however see's it as a necessary part in any training program, by utilising the posterior chain in the proper manner you can actually strengthen and decrease the risk of injury;

- Stand with feet just wider than shoulders and facing 11 & 1
- Shift your centre of gravity through your heels
- Extend upwards using the hips
- Squeeze your bottom ( gluteus ) as you push up through the hips
- Keep your knees from passing over your toes and
- Avoid letting your knee's move from the path of your feet

A whole host of static exercises will be beneficial, a quick youtube search for 'bad knee rehab exercises' using resistance bands and such which would really be beneficial.

Suitable Exercises ( ^ use the movement pattern above and never drop your hips below your knee's. Perform these with the focus being tension )
- Wall squat with a swiss ball
- Squatting onto a chair ( progress this by hovering, and then with dumbbells; front squat position )
- Partial Lunges ( leverage using your back leg by dropping your knee )

As you're not dropping below your knee's and keeping to only one footprint, making sure you balance out all exercises with things like as the above will be anterior dominant, so quads, and such will take much of the tension.

- Hyperextensions
- Leg Curls
- Glute Bridges

Alternatively,

You have a bike.

Short bursts of sprints, 7 - 10 seconds. with a work to rest ratio of 1:4. Vary it up too, 1:2, 1:7 and also change the length of time you sprint. Never any more than 30seconds though, with the rest time altered for

Currently you still need to squat throughout life, I mean you had to squat to get onto your chair...
I'm in the school of thought were I believe this is a necessary movement pattern so personally I would recommend you still include various modified squats into your routine - just make the necessary adjustment to take the strain away from your knee's.

Weight isn't important to gain strength, your muscle doesn't know how much weight you are lifting. It does however know the tension you place on the muscle so use this to your advantage for gains - really focus, contract each working muscle and use TUT ( time under tension ) to enhance the movement.

As for doctors and squatting, they sometimes forget we are designed inherently to squat. Watch a baby the next time you see one, anything they pick up or go to the floor for they squat or deadlift and both with complete ease and great form.

a reply to: freedom12

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Hello again......

Please note...this thread is for Introductory purposes ONLY.

Any health and exercise information belongs in another thread....in the Health Forum
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Okay honest question:

Are donuts healthy for you on national donut day?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous
Okay honest question:

Are donuts healthy for you on national donut day?

Only if you're a police man!

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
What a very informative thread this intro turned out to be!

As DTOM said above this is an intro thread though...

To fitnessguru, you now have more than 20 posts which means you're no longer limited to only starting threads in the Intro forum.

I hope you'll start a thread (or more than one) in the Health forum because folks sure seem to have lots of questions for you!

Thank you for sharing some know-how with us, welcome to ATS and I do look forward to reading your contributions!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join