It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sudan Death Sentence Woman 'Freed'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The woman Meriam Ibrahim's who was sentenced to death for abandoning her religious faith has today been freed from jail on appeal.

Meriam Ibrahim's death penalty was overturned by an appeal court, the official Suna news agency reported.
She is married to a Christian man and was sentenced to hang for apostasy in May by a Sharia court after refusing to renounce Christianity.
Her husband told the BBC he was looking forward to seeing her.
The death sentence for Meriam Yahia Ibrahim Ishag, who gave birth to a daughter in prison not long after she was convicted, sparked international outrage.
www.bbc.co.uk...

I think this case amongst others shows the good that social media can do in bringing the plight of those who otherwise would have been ignored to the public's attention and so force action from their Governments , we are a global village.

edit on 23-6-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The sad thing is that she had to give birth in prison and not surrounded by her loved ones.

She had taken on Christianity .
The sharia law shouldn't apply to her then anymore in my opinion.
But I'm sure they have their loop holes to say why it does.

Seriously it is so a## backwards there....
I'm glad she can be with here husband again.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Please excuse my Christian outburst, but Praise be to God that this woman has been set free. She should never ever been imprisoned in the first place.

She was truly a prisoner of conscience and I for one was deeply angered by her sham trial and deplorable treatment under the 'laws' of Islam.

new topics

join