It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moby Dick ~ Book code

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Hello

Ive been interested in looking at symbols found in films. And what they may or may not be communicating to an audience.

Films made by "Warner Brothers" for example lol

Can i ask you our community a few questions please ~ Can anyone explain why the “moby dick” book is found in so many films

Does anyone know the symbol being used here please?

Is it a code book to refer to? ... as in look for these numbers and turn to page to get a message?

Thanks

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I never noticed the book in films before.

Do you have a list of films in which the book may be seen?

Or are you speaking of references to the book in movie dialogue?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Z77ZABCD
Hello

Ive been interested in looking at symbols found in films. And what they may or may not be communicating to an audience.

Can i ask you our community a few questions please ~ Can anyone explain why the “moby dick” book is found in so many films

Is it a code book to refer to? ... as in look for these numbers and turn to page to get a message?

Thanks

It's just a very well-known book..

I feel like some people try to find a conspiracy in everything.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Z77ZABCD

I have no clue about Moby Dick being used as some sort of clue, propaganda, or whatever you choose to call it. I have seen it used many times as a analogy(metaphor? simile?) as it is a popular book and it fits many situations.

Not unlike Shakespeare, it's used by pretentious screenwriters to make us think they really know what they are going on about.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Hello

Thanks

Please give us a list of these films it appears in. I have never noticed it, but can say that most of the people I know do have this book in their homes so it isn't that odd of an occurrence. Not sure why this is a conspiracy to you, but my thought is that it is just a really common book.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Surely the Harry Potter series has been referenced in film media more times than Moby Dick by now.
edit on 23-6-2014 by MysteriousHusky because: italics

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

The one that first springs to mind is Star Trek: Wrath of Khan.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I have been a Propmaster and Set Decorator for forty years.

There is no "code" behind the inclusion of 'Moby Dick' as prop in a couple of films.

If you read the book you would discover the message Melville was trying to convey.

We all have our demons and they can be our downfall.

It's very simple.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
there's multiple layers to everything
but moby dick as a literary work is often used to convey a 'bad obsession'
(ie: his obsession with capturing that white whale caused a lot of heartache along the way)
sometimes you'll also hear the expression "captain ahab has to get his whale" (referring to the same thing)

the messages being pumped out in movies are not necessarily crazy numerical codes & stuff like that..
it's more about just shaping your unconscious mind (take a look at the topic linked in the signature below..)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: UNIT76
(ie: his obsession with capturing that white whale caused a lot of heartache along the way)
sometimes you'll also hear the expression "captain ahab has to get his whale" (referring to the same thing)

the messages being pumped out in movies are not necessarily crazy numerical codes & stuff like that..
it's more about just shaping your unconscious mind (take a look at the topic linked in the signature below..)

As a set decorator or propmaster it is our job to give depth to the characters in the film. If we think the inclusion of a book would add the appropriate dimension to the character or story, we put it in the shot.

Ain't nothin' 'bout shapin' "unconscious minds".

Not everything is a conspiracy peeple.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

This is a very good answer.

And OP EVERYTHING basically is planned into a movie, but the significance can be to the writer or the director not necessarily a conspiracy...

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

...to give depth to the characters in the film...
...add the appropriate dimension to the character or story...

'depth' & 'appropriate dimension' there are at the movie-makers discretion..
until the movie actually comes out & openly presents the issue, it's all subtext...

lots of what seems to be "just a movie" is actually something else..
ever seen a really, really old disney cartoon called "donald duck in math-a-magic land"?
..tell me what "subtext" you're able to glean from that?
or the movie "samsara" (or even life of pi)

you might not be doing it.. but the potential is certainly there

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

a reply to: Psynic

...to give depth to the characters in the film...
...add the appropriate dimension to the character or story...

'depth' & 'appropriate dimension' there are at the movie-makers discretion..
until the movie actually comes out & openly presents the issue, it's all subtext...

lots of what seems to be "just a movie" is actually something else..
ever seen a really, really old disney cartoon called "donald duck in math-a-magic land"?
..tell me what "subtext" you're able to glean from that?
or the movie "samsara" (or even life of pi)

you might not be doing it.. but the potential is certainly there

Yes, there are many movies that are propaganda.

I have gone into detail in another thread about one currently at the box-office.

'Godzilla' is basically produced by the P'gon.

But as Freud said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Many thanks for all your replies everyone, i appreciate it

I dont have a list of films to hand, so im really sorry about that. Ill try and find them. If i do ill post them here

I definitely seen this book read by characters in at least 4 films.

"not everything is a conspiracy" hmm pos... symbol of "obsession" maybe also

I thought if anyone knew, the ATS folk would. Ill keep looking

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Many thanks for all your replies everyone, i appreciate it

I dont have a list of films to hand, so im really sorry about that. Ill try and find them. If i do ill post them here

I definitely seen this book read by characters in at least 4 films.

"not everything is a conspiracy" hmm pos... symbol of "obsession" maybe also

I thought if anyone knew, the ATS folk would. Ill keep looking

If all else fails, I'd suggest you read the book.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I would not have a clue as to any code or conspiracy.
My best guess would be to make the person holding it at least appear to be educated and maybe sophistocated enough to read big thick books.

Or it could just be a convienent prop.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I apologies to everyone in ATS... This forum is something new for me. I'll try better next time to provide some examples before making any threads.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I apologies to everyone in ATS... This forum is something new for me. I'll try better next time to provide some examples before making any threads.

I get what you are saying andThis Guy Takes apart Movies especially Stanley Kubrick and shows the hidden meanings or subplots as well as other strangeness...

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
a reply to: Vasa Croe

The one that first springs to mind is Star Trek: Wrath of Khan.

In the Star Trek movie 'Wrath of Khan' a copy of 'Moby-Dick' (Hyphen is correct) is used as a piece of set dressing that is a metaphor for the obsession Khan (Ahab) had for Kirk (Moby-Dick).

Again, if you are truly interested in the significance of Melville's novel appearing in movies there is no better research you could do than reading it!

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Anytime I see Moby Dick referenced on TV or in film, I sort of shutter. Its a lazy intellectual copout. Someone wants to make a point about the destructive nature of obsessive revenge in their plot... they reference Moby Dick. Lame.

Why its referenced so much is because it's a masterpiece of American literature. Also, everybodys heard of it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join