It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comtemplating Building a BSP 9mm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I've owned guns since I was legally able to. Neither of my parents are especially fond of my hobby, but weren't particularly against my purchases, but weren't supportive either,

I suppose you could liken firearms to tattoos in their mind; something that really wasn't a necessity and served no real purpose.

Anyways fast forward a decade and I've come to the decision that I'd like to try my hand at making my own SMG, purely for the purpose of doing so myself. I've done the 80% lower receiver builds, done some light gunsmithing and have a pretty solid grasp on things like structural welding.

But the BSP 9mm requires none of those skills
And perhaps that is what intrigues me.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about: Expedient Homemade Firearms

I guess what I'm looking for is the opinion of like-minded individuals here. I realize that I'm tap dancing on a landmine legally speaking, but if I decide to build one it would be purely for the sake of saying I did so, much like how some people build cars that can go 200+MPH but can't drive it on the street.

Other than the obvious detractors, does anyone know if this is a viable build, or would my time and effort be better spent going straight to a Sten/Sterling build?
edit on 23-6-2014 by Lipton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Eh.. guess the apocalypse hit before op could post ..

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Lipton

Board support package? Like for intels quark CPU?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Yeah. Seems likely. Anyways, nother beer. How's the macaque there Pat?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Somehow I posted without anything posting?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Sorry OP. No text initially. Might have been a glitch.

Bally

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Ta m8 another beer sounds good .. my macaque behaving today got im busy picking coconuts

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Looks like an interesting idea .. sorry jim im a doctor not a gunsmith will leave that to the gunsmiths in the house to answer ..

When you first posted no text showed .. it does that sometimes..

Apologies cant offer advice on this one ..

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Just an Inquiry, in the BSP manual, there was no mention of barrel grooves. Is the manual assuming that the barrel is a smooth bore?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
It seems so simple if you have a few good tools, can probably get all the main parts from a plumbers merchant 20 mins away but i doubt plod will be very happy if i started turning out SMG's for about £100 a pop

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lipton
I've owned guns since I was legally able to. Neither of my parents are especially fond of my hobby, but weren't particularly against my purchases, but weren't supportive either,

I suppose you could liken firearms to tattoos in their mind; something that really wasn't a necessity and served no real purpose.

Anyways fast forward a decade and I've come to the decision that I'd like to try my hand at making my own SMG, purely for the purpose of doing so myself. I've done the 80% lower receiver builds, done some light gunsmithing and have a pretty solid grasp on things like structural welding.

I guess what I'm looking for is the opinion of like-minded individuals here. I realize that I'm tap dancing on a landmine legally speaking, but if I decide to build one it would be purely for the sake of saying I did so, much like how some people build cars that can go 200+MPH but can't drive it on the street.

Other than the obvious detractors, does anyone know if this is a viable build, or would my time and effort be better spent going straight to a Sten/Sterling build?

Just do the right thing as far as the paperwork and tax stamp.
F

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
In the UK we could be arrested and sent to prison for a long time just for looking at the PDF.... Bye Bye everyone...it's been a hoot..

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: FirePiston

F

Yes.
Better yet, build one that doesn't fire from an open bolt, has a rifled barrel over 16 inches in length and fires one shot per pull of the trigger.... and don't file any paperwork or pay any tax.

SM2

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Yes it is a viable build. The mechanics of it are pretty simple. I wouldnt use any crazy +p or +p+ ammo in it, i would use just the some cheap low power fmj in it to be safer. It is smooth bore, so it will not be accurate at all. You might be able to hit the red side of a barn at 10 feet lol. Don't let hollywood fool you either, even a 9mm SMG is not something that is easily controlled by someone with little to no experience with them. The recoil will force the firearm to move, looking at this design, up , back and to the left. Now, I do think it would be fun to shoot though.

Now here are the challenges, first off, if you live in the states, then in as far as federal laws go, it is 100% legal to build you own firearm for personal use, as long as you do not intend to sell/give to someone else. Now, seeing as though this is a fully automatic SMG that you are building, that is not legal at all, see NFA (national firearm act), no amount of paperwork or tax stamps will make it legal, with the sole exception being that you are a licensed firearms manufacturer , registered with the B.A.T.F.E. just like remmington, glock, red jacket etc. Not something that can be done at your home. That being said, if you could modify the design to be a semi automatic then you would be fine.

No need to submit anything to anyone, put on serial numbers, register or anything like that if it a single shot or semi automatic, at least on a federal level, you would have to check your local and state laws though

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: FirePiston

F

That way when they decide you can't have one anymore they know right where to go to pick it up. Just ask any evil gun toter in Kalifornia. Been there done that, bought the T-shirt and moved out of the state.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
If I cannot buy the full weapon ready made from a legal merchant legally, I don't get near it.
Life is too short to allow a bureaucrat to send me to a cage.
Cages are for animals and criminals, and I am most certainly not a criminal!
And rarely an animal anymore.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: g146541
If I cannot buy the full weapon ready made from a legal merchant legally, I don't get near it.
Life is too short to allow a bureaucrat to send me to a cage.
Cages are for animals and criminals, and I am most certainly not a criminal!
And rarely an animal anymore.

The problem with these yoyos is one day you are legal and the next you are not, purely by the stroke of a pen.

"And rarely an animal anymore." lol

new topics

top topics

join