It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spelling mistakes you should not make

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: undo
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

rod is good folks. go easy on him.

Alrighty.

But grammar/spelling rage is just one of those threads we see about once a month. Gotta roll with the river that is ATS.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
at least i'm not a grammar nazi.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: undo

Grammar Nazis don't scare me. It's the Typo Gestapo that keeps me looking over my shoulder. I have horrible hot dog fingers that make for clumsy typing skills

That raises an interesting point though. How many misspellings are really just mistypings?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

could you imagine how hard it would be to read, if you also cringed every time someone didn't capitalize a letter or punctuate properly? it'd drive you crazy.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   

yeah, i mistype alot. my problem is my hands are somewhat old and grumpy. reaching for the key to capitalize is one more bit of wear and tear i guesstimated i could do without. if someone expresses displeasure about it, i try not to offend and make attempts at recalling the rules of grammar.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

At least your abuse of the loopholes of the language was clearly well informed, and well crafted!
What I object to is casual laziness of speech and writing.

I imagine that these concepts are only important to those who love to read and write, but as one of the people who enjoys those pastimes, they do somewhat strike to my centre.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

so is it queen's english or king's english?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: undo

so is it queen's english or king's english?

At the moment it is Queen's English. When Lizzy kicks the bucket, it will be King's English.

If Charles becomes King it will be anyone's English.

P

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: undo

As phoenix358 said, it is the Queens English, until such time as she either passes from this world, or steps off the throne to give someone else a go.

One refers to the language, as belonging to the monarch who currently occupies the throne.
edit on 23-6-2014 by TrueBrit because: Correcting grammar errors, courtesy of iPad auto correct feature. I wonder if it is possible to switch that off?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

The answer given by a true Englishman as opposed to someone from the colonies.

Long live Lizzy!

P

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Heh...

Ave Imperatrix !

The answer is no truer for my having uttered it. To be honest, there are many people from around these parts (the south of England) who would not have known that factoid phoenix358, despite being English as one can be!

Face it... You obviously know your onions, and apparently a decent bit of English history and the history of language in combination!

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I turnd on me puter this mornin and opend winders and startd reedin bout dis here peev you havins.

But seriously, the one that gets me is when someone is trying to insult me by calling me a "loser", but they spell it "Looser". I get mad at them for that and forget about the insult!

My grammar is horrible so I can't really say anything about anyone else.
edit on 23-6-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I think the only thing which gets me is when someone writes about their new phone or pc 'back round'.

NO NOPE NOPITY NOPE.
It is a background. Not a back round.

EVERYONE knows you only use the latter as in "I passed grandma's house and went back round to it".

Kidding there.

Another is a lot. my smart phone is smart because it REFUSES to unspace a lot. I have tried. This pleases me.

Unspaced a lot's do not. I think of the 'Pet Alot" from this blog about Hyperbole. Wish I could link it. You'd never unspace an a lot ever again, lol.

And when people talk and say "a whole nother whatever". WHAT is a "nother"?????

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: sarra1833

And when people talk and say "a whole nother whatever". WHAT is a "nother"?????

"Nother!!!!" is who you call for after you've tested a 9 volt battery with the tip of your tongue.

But your 'a lot' hate reminded me of my personal pet peeve. When people say "I could care less". No, you couldn't care less madam! Grrr It grinds my gears. Apparently it is acceptable in US circles, but to let you gauge my frustration about this one take a look at this video.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Definitely. Sorry about this one, but for the life of my I can not spell this word, no matter how many times I try to memorize the correct spelling. I have a mental block on this word. It always looks wrong when spelled correctly. I agonize over this word every time I have to spell it without a spellchecker.

Certainly is my other dreaded word. I grew up pronouncing it Certaintly I don't know where the added T came from but spelling it with out that T just seems so wrong, my brain doesn't like it.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

Awesome video.

I concur by the way. The phrase "I could care less" is a pointless utterance. Mr Mitchell explains this perfectly in the video. His talent for amusing pedantry is always a pleasure to indulge oneself with.

<< 1  2   >>

join