It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spelling mistakes you should not make

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheProphetMark
Lol what a funny thread.

I always tell people who go out of their to correct other peoples's spelling that they are obviously compensating for something. Just because you can spell and someone else can't, doesn't make you anymore intelligent than they are. I see it as something people do in order to make themselves feel better.

Just my opinion anyways.

What precludes someone from using the proper spelling of the language they speak, if not their ability to learn? Intelligent people can still be stupid, but at least you can read what they say. Unintelligent people, not so much.

Learn the damn language you speak you maroons..

edit on 23-6-2014 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz
a reply to: TheProphetMark

Sorry, not trying to derail.

You wouldn't want to derail your own thread now would you? I better alert a mod so you can get back on-topic.

edit on 23-6-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: rockintitz
The real reason for most of your examples is the modern practice of "spell-as-you-pronounce", developed by the non-reading internet generation, combined with sloppy pronunciation.
The worst case I know is the dropping of the "t" from "can't", so there is no way of telling whether "You can do that" is giving permission or refusing permission.
Which illustrates the point that the loss of standard spelling is a bad thing, because it interferes with communication.

Oh no you did enn!
Another example.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

fassinatin'.
(notice the opostrofee? i can do this all day!)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Wow, spellng reelly gets too you opp! Here's a poem I'm shore yowl love we were taught in skool

I have a spelling checker,
It came with my pea sea.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.
Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished in it's weigh.
My checker tolled me sew.
A checker is a bless sing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when eye rime.
Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.
Bee fore a veiling checker's
Hour spelling mite decline,
And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid too wine.
Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
Their are know fault's with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a wear.
Now spelling does knot phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped word's fare as hear.
To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should bee proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaw's are knot aloud.
Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting want too pleas.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

A * staur fer u bro.

edit on 23-6-2014 by rockintitz because: ETA: what you talkin' bout Willis?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys
I didn't even read your post but, to*

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Wow that was really tough for me to read! Weird because it was all real words and such, just nonsensical. Interesting!

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: rockintitz
a reply to: TheProphetMark

Sorry, not trying to derail.

You wouldn't want to derail your own thread now would you? I better alert a mod so you can get back on-topic.

Seriously? I would derail the train I was on if it meant cheaper dining options.
There's your conspiracy.
edit on 23-6-2014 by rockintitz because: Nunya

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   

taht took time to write and creat.e. (i even frustrate myself!)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   
My pet peeve is how many people expect us to spell a word the way they do. Many words have multiple ways to spell them and all of them are correct. Just depends on what country you are from.

So I suggest that before you complain, just take the time to look up ALL of the alternative spellings and after you have done so, just keep quiet.

There are many people here who use Engwish as a swecond language and they do so wery well.

The english language was done a great disservice by the Americans who needed to make it easier cause, well, they could not spell. They made a tiny inroad into spelling and then no one could agree so the whole exercise fell into a pile of doggy poo.

Lighten up man.

P

edit on 23/6/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

i'ts really not a criticism of other people. it's a confessoin of obesession. we need a priest to obsolve us real quuick like.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

The most aggravating mistakes I have ever seen?

People talking about religion, but being unable to spell Muslim has to top out this list. Considering the contemporary importance of good communication on these subjects, it is vital that dialogue is clear. Using eight different spellings of the word does not help improve communication. It is neither clever nor funny, nor some weird kind of patriotism, to misspell the word either through ignorance, or through deliberate pigheadedness.

Next, the shortening of the word America to Murica , Merkhah, Merica, or any other hell blasted combination. There is one correct spelling, and there is no reason to use another. The invention of these moron appeasing/emulating bull crap spellings, does not help anyone, and just aggravates the hell out of me, which I understand is silly, since I am not American myself. However, it annoys me intensely.

Moving on, to all those indignant "street culture" casualties... "dis, dat, and de udder". Shut up. Shut up right now, or the next thing you ATTEMPT to say, will be obliterated by my fist reaching down your throat in order to tear out your lungs. Stop it. It is "This, that and the other." If you cannot manage this, then remain silent, and wait until your ability to grasp basic elements of spelling and diction improves past that of a three week old foetus, before daring to utter anything else.

I do not care,
How street you are,
Blabbering nonsense,
From the window of your car,
The word on the street,
Is always misspelled,
Just please read a dictionary,
Because your diction is hell,
I heard you on the bus,
And you perturbed me on the train,
Your grasp of grammar,
Is an assault on the brain,
So do me a favour,
And keep your mouth shut,
Because I have heard better sounds,
Leave a throat that's been cut.

There. Even a well spelled poem cannot possibly fail to communicate what I am talking about.

In summary, I find deliberate misspelling and a lack of proper diction far more aggravating than an honest mistake, because these things smack of dumbassery, even when they are supposed to convey their own meaning. My attitude is, that we should use the language we already have, and use it precisely, confidently, and elegantly where possible.

Language has the capacity to make artists of us all, if only we allow its wonders to become apparent to us, and I feel that every time someone fails to convey their point using that facility, it cheapens every debate that this habitual nincompoopery touches.

edit on 23-6-2014 by TrueBrit because: Spelling improvements. A curse upon all predictive corrections made by my iPad!

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Wow. That was insightful and informative. I especially loved the part about how I should have acted before I complained. Dammit! I already complained
and I will take that responsibility.
My life is now indebted to charity. Thanks entirely to your post.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

spoken like an agent of the queen's english. king's english? which is it? that drives me crazy. i can't seem to remember it.
properly spoken english of that variety is lyrical and beautiful. almost an artform. launches into a pygmalion rendition

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Agree! Also, the poem above you I posted shows just how frustrating it must be to learn a language as a second language because we have so many words with multiple meanings and spellings. For those of us who grew up with English we think very little about soar, sore or saw. But that has to be maddening to acquire as a second language.

(also, sorry Truebrit about my spelling, I was just jesting the op a bit hence the winky face
)
edit on 23-6-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   
The school holidays are back again and many a "would be I KNOW BETTER THAN YOU" person is back on ATS again...

We all make mistakes... AND SO WHAT???... We are not clones or just out of school... LIVE WITH EACH AND EVERYONES LITTLE MISDOINGS and LEARN to grow up?

Congratulations for your very first intellectual erection... Have I spelt that correctly?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

it's an obsessive thing. it's not anybody's fault, except perhaps the god of language. he programmed our dna in this fashion. file a complaint with the office of ocd.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

I like how you use the signature "kindest respects" after using a phrase like "intellectual erection" in a heated rant.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

rod is good folks. go easy on him.
he doesn't understand the riggers of this particular malady.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join