It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth's Magnetic Field is Dying

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Emerys
a reply to: pheonix358

But can you prove its not dying? I need to know if i need to move to a cave. Just saying. This isnt something to just blow off.

Complete pseudoscience. Nowhere in the article said that it was dying, you made that up. Extrordinary claims require extrordinary evidence.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
I love how we snicker at the "primitive idiots" who were doomsayers throughout the ages. Up to and including the homeless guy with a sandwich board and a coffee cup. It is a great contrast to how we totally don't continue on that tradition to this day. oO

You've been confusing me lately BFFT, are you saying there is some legitimacy to the claim that the poles flipping is actually something to seriously worry about?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: James1982

How do you know for sure there haven't been any extinction level events due to a pole shift? It is quite possible that over time there was a loss of species due to magnetic anomalies. Today we see an increase in mass animal die offs, and weather changes so maybe these are connected to magnetism either directly or indirectly. Of course there have been no widespread extinction level events (at least this isn't what they are attributed to). But there could be species that cant handle the stress of the changes that accompany this event as it speeds up.

I'm not sure how the poster below you knows about the 15% loss of the field in the last 200 years but this conflicts with what I've read in that it will take, at minimum, thousands of years to complete its flip. It's a bit confusing in either case. I envision that magnet experiment where the poles get closer together and it quickly swings around into place. If this happened however we would likely see no life left. Therefore, it is probably somewhere in-between. Gradual enough to not kill everything yet enough to potentially cause mass deaths over time use to indirect influences on the environment.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
They want us to think it is because of an impending pole shift so they can keep mining and fracking the earth. Changing the way energy flows through the crust slightly alters weather patterns and can possibly influence the magnetic pole to move more rapidly. If you were to frack a magnet, it would not work quite the same. Now the field of the earth is no where as strong as a magnet, so altering that on a large scale can cause change.

We have been messing with the crust more and more, this means the effects would increase. No testing of this will be done because this generates a lot of money for businesses that contribute to science.

Would you care to explain in a bit more detail the mechanics of this? The magnetic field of the Earth is created by the core, not the crust. AFAIK nobody is fracking Earth's core yet. The scale of "damage" fracking does to the Earth's crust is nowhere near the damage that happens from natural events, so I'm also a bit confused how a tiny tiny hole causes problems, but giant chasms and rifts that open naturally don't have this negative effect you mention>

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dianec

How do you know for sure there haven't been any extinction level events due to a pole shift? It is quite possible that over time there was a loss of species due to magnetic anomalies. Today we see an increase in mass animal die offs, and weather changes so maybe these are connected to magnetism either directly or indirectly. Of course there have been no widespread extinction level events (at least this isn't what they are attributed to). But there could be species that cant handle the stress of the changes that accompany this event as it speeds up.

I'm not sure how the poster below you knows about the 15% loss of the field in the last 200 years but this conflicts with what I've read in that it will take, at minimum, thousands of years to complete its flip. It's a bit confusing in either case. I envision that magnet experiment where the poles get closer together and it quickly swings around into place. If this happened however we would likely see no life left. Therefore, it is probably somewhere in-between. Gradual enough to not kill everything yet enough to potentially cause mass deaths over time use to indirect influences on the environment.

By no means am saying it's impossible for a pole flip to harm certain species. Especially those which rely on the magnetic field, and I'm not opposed to the idea that magnetic fields can have effects on life that doesn't use the field for navigation. AFAIK there isn't any solid data proving it's true, but I have no problem with that idea.

But there is a very big difference between a few species having trouble adjusting and dying off, compared to some huge extinction event, especially one which would threaten humans. If you look up pole reversals, you'll see it's proven that they have happened around 200 times in known geologic history. If the Earth was scorched to a level as bad as the OP claims, that many times, there would be some sign in the fossil record, and there isn't. There are definite mass die-offs, but nowhere near 200 and their times don't really match up.

Obviously anything is possible, tomorrow the earth could blink out of existence, who knows. But are we talking imagination, or reality. Because realistically there isn't a single shred of evidence that a pole reversal would be of any significant danger to humans or most any other species on Earth, aside from a potential increase in cancer or something from higher levels of radiation.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
When a pole shift occurs, the two poles don't simply disappear, we actually end up with four or more poles. Then the old poles fade away or reverse.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

All that you say makes perfect sense. It's definitely interesting to be living through one of these with the scientific instruments and know-how we have today. I will be looking forward to some research examining how much it influences everything from the ocean to the atmosphere, and all inbetween. As it was in 2012, there are no concerns with this phenomenon. Thanks for the feedback.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Emerys

No one's fault. It's natural...

The earth's magnetic field is weakening(not dying) at a rate of around -83.5 nT/year(at the surface).

When considering the strength varies from around 25-65µT....the conversion being 1000 nT (nanoteslas) = 1 µT (microtesla)

strength at surface = 25000-65000 nT
rate of loss = -83.5nT/year

Means 100 years ago the strength at surface was around 57,943.5 nT(or nearly 58µT)
and today the strength is estimated at 53,370.4 nT(or nearly 53µT)

(I know the math isn't exact. I'm using an estimated rate of loss but the strength calculations are rather accurate...)

So unless you plan on living for the next 1000+ years...

Not a huge thing to worry about...In fact, nothing to worry about at all.

A2D
edit on 23-6-2014 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

It's quite clear that a weakening magnetic field (and pole flips) do not cause extinction events. However, the increased radiation may trigger periods of accelerated evolution. Anyone have any hard info on this?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I didn`t know that the Earth`s magnetic field was alive at all.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The first recorded Reckoning was by flood. The next one will be by fire. The warnings are there. I don't know what the purpose in "warnings" are, except that maybe we can redeem ourselves somehow.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
magnetic pole shifting

I have noticed for last few years increased burning sensation on skin during summer, and that happens at lower temeperatures then before ;
for example here in Europe, i remember about 10 years ago there was around 40 celsius degrees that day,rly hot, and i clearly remember a slight burning sensation on my skin
but these days, at not so high temperatures, around 30 degrees sunny day, i feel much strogner skin burning !
dunno if that has something to do with poles, or sun's output

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
i dont think this matters too much

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Can there be a connection between this weakening of the magneticfield and the chemtrail phenomenon? Can it be that these alleged metal particles in those chemtrails are put there to reflect or absorb some sort(s) of radiation? Put there although poisonous for organisms but to protect those same organisms from cancerous deceases?

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
It's true that the field has been declining for a while and that this is likely to be a prelude to a magnetic reversal, which doesn't mean that the planet will spin over nor that continents will slip around either. However, the great danger is that when it reaches zero for an unknowable length of time there will be severe consequences for organic life on Earth from cosmic and solar radiation, plus other bad effects. This is all pretty well known if you look online.

Search the Brunhes–Matuyama reversal, which was the most recent and you'll see that some academics query why it seemed to coincide with mass extinctions.

None of this may happen within the next thousand years, but then again, no-one can say how long the field takes to get to zero, nor how long it stays zero.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

It's quite clear that a weakening magnetic field (and pole flips) do not cause extinction events. However, the increased radiation may trigger periods of accelerated evolution. Anyone have any hard info on this?

I don't have any hard info but I think you are right. I might word it as "accelerated expansion of consciousness occurs during periods of increased radiation." That's a study I would support.

We've been shown the whole solar system is undergoing changes and I would surmise it goes beyond even that.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Get ready for some solar storms and cosmic rays to come and mutate humanity!

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Emerys
Read for yourself.

Article

Which begs the question, is this our fault? Or is this the Earth's fault?

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

I don't think it's a fault, our's or Earth's. I see it as a cosmic opportunity, an opening, a heightened period of rebooting the system into something better and a freeing-up of energies which have stagnated.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join