It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 09:54 PM
link   
(I hate doing these things!)

I'm older than William. I have a son and a daughter older than William's kids. I'm employed full-time as a computer geek and have owned computers since 1975 -- ran several BBSs (RBBS on Fidonet), the last of which I took down 3 years ago. I'm a Muck/Mud wizard.

Degrees in English and Biology and Masters' in Biomedical Engineering. Am trying to get the paperwork together to go back to grad school for my PhD in Anthropology and do research again. I miss research. I loved doing research when I was doing BiomedEng.

I think this is my version of a "midlife crisis." Everyone else swaps spouses or gets a red sports car. I go after a PhD.

I'm also an artist and a storyteller (storytelling guild apprentice) and a puppeteer. Used to sing in coffeehouses.

Married for 30 years this October.

[Edited on 28-5-2003 by Byrd]

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I'm also a shaman and Wiccan by faith and quite the skeptic. I'm mostly harmless.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Hey byrd,

What muds do you play online.. I am into Medievia..

www.medievia.com

I don't play much but I have a hero there.

Chris

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Married for 30 years this October.

Damn thats a long time. I hope I last that long when I get married.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Haven't played on Muds in about 3 years, wizarded on a small one wayyy back when. It didn't last very long (like most of them.) I prefer Mucks, actually.

But I'd go for a good MUD... Hmm.... I can always hop over and check out Medeva (oh, JUST what I needed! Another interesting thing to do!)

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 10:07 PM
link   
so what's the difference between a MUD and a MUCK..

Boggle....

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ByrdI'm also an artist and a storyteller

Whoa! What medium do you work in? I used to paint with pastels... but alas, that's too messy for a small Manhattan apartment.

Way back, I wrote and illustrated a couple children's books:
www.greensboro.com...
www.candlelightstories.com...
(The pictures are too small... I need to get these back up on my site, full size.)

But an actual story-tellers guild... very, very nice. I'm jealous.

[Edited on 28-5-2003 by William]

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

I'm also an artist

Do you have some pic of your paints ?

P.S : 30 years ?

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by William
Whoa! What medium do you work in? I used to paint with pastels... but alas, that's too messy for a small Manhattan apartment.

I will work in about anything except oils (which I'm allergic to.) I like Photoshop when I'm feeling lazy, but nothing beats a nice Prismacolor marker -- or Prismacolor pencils (yeah, I'm very brand-specific on colored pencils and markers.) In sculpting, I prefer Fimo Sculpey clays, though I do use some other sculpting clays. I work mostly small -- doll-sized. I even kit bash the occasional action figure when I'm feeling kinky.

I'm primarily a cartoonist. Every once in awhile I get on a "yes, in spite of the fact that I cartoon, I really CAN draw!" kick. There's a sort of bias that the only reason we turn out to be cartoonists is that we can't really draw. And that just ain't true!

No, my work isn't online. I sell a number of pieces and I just don't keep or display copies of it. If it doesn't sell, it eventually gets tossed out. And I really don't have the time (or interest -- too many other things to do) to scan in and clean up for display the comic book work I've done (short pieces for VERY small press comic books. You've never heard of me. Trust me!)

-- and NICE work, William!

And because the edit won't bump this up to the top (so it'll be nicely buried) and because I really AM an evil creature, I post a link to one piece of my artwork online:
www.io.com...
Scroll to the bottom. Left hand side.

Yes, that's my work.

[Edited on 2-6-2003 by Byrd]

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Good of you to tell us a little more about yourself. You are by far one of my favorite posters here-skeptical or not-you seem 'right on' (in my book) with most of the things you say..I definately have great respect for you sir, and have very much appreciated any of your words to some of my queries here..

And you are an artist too...I could totally picture that

Magestica

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 02:32 PM
link   
A funny thing about Byrd.

Recently, at a secret meeting of the Order Of TWATS, SkadiTheEvil Elf was being heartily welcomed as the first female member.

Then two Mods said that Byrd was female.

Then another female member agreed with the two Mods.

Then I showed them all this intro thread, because I always thought Byrd was male, and this thread does nothing to dispel my belief.

But I stand to be corrected. And Byrd's gender has little to do with the fine quality of his/her posts and contributions.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 02:47 PM
link   
i didnt know we had some tallented artists here that is a nice supprise...

and i also didnt know byrd was female. its the name makes me think of a male haha...

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Hmmm??? I've never seen this topic before!!!

Anyway, nice to know more about Byrd. I thought you were younger, like late 30's...

Or maybe you feel and look that way.

Hehe some ladies keep their youth.

[Edited on 7-11-2003 by TheBandit795]

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 06:14 PM
link   
All due respect but how does one become an academic and yet resist the overwhelming pressure to adopt left-wing views?

I gave up a life in the academic world for that very reason. I did not want to lie about my perspectives on many issues and I did not believe that I could happily accomodate cognitive dissonance with disparity of knowledge.

Either way I say do what you need to do for that is what it is about, you maximizing your potential whilst on this earth.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by William

Originally posted by ByrdI'm also an artist and a storyteller

Way back, I wrote and illustrated a couple children's books:
www.greensboro.com...
www.candlelightstories.com...
(The pictures are too small... I need to get these back up on my site, full size.)

But an actual story-tellers guild... very, very nice. I'm jealous.

[Edited on 28-5-2003 by William]

William,

Thank you for sharing these. They are awesome! I enjoyed that a lot.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Shaman, huh? We're generations apart (that's not a knock), but I'd venture a guess you have native blood? Or maybe you just 'became a shaman' and no explanations are needed?

At any rate, did you at least make it to the 'oh-so honorable' distinction of "ABD" (all but dissertation)? If I recall correctly, you've stated you have an MS (maybe MA), not a Ph.D., yes? I lingered for a couple years after my orals and finally had the committee chair sign off on my dissertation in '08...what I'm trying to say is, "congrats on your choice of release during your mid-life, but don't stay in ABD territory, if that is, indeed, the case". Nothing like sunk costs...represented by a title

Whether you did get that Ph.D., I'm not hating simply, encouraging...it's not as easy as one may think (mainly a function of time), but I wish you well in your endeavour -- in reality, your name simply is listed first in the bibliography (we all know the post-docs/masters' students do all the heavy lifting). Otherwise, I am well aware the "ABD"/Masters crowd is just as capable and knowledgeable.

And yes, I just bumped a 13-year old thread.

Keep on, keeping on, Byrd.

new topics

top topics

join