It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq militants 'turning back clock' in captured Mosul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AwrBJR9J.qZTUTgAqznQtDMD

Baghdad (AFP) - In the two weeks since it was seized by Sunni militants, some residents of the northern Iraq city of Mosul feel the clock has been turned back hundreds of years.

The militants, led by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) jihadist group, have begun imposing an extreme interpretation of Islamic law in the days since they took the city, residents reached by telephone told AFP.

Security forces in Mosul, a city of some two million people before the offensive, wilted in the face of the onslaught, in some cases abandoning uniforms and even vehicles in their haste to flee.

So much for training the Iraqi forces. All they are good for is ducking and running.

After seizing control, gunmen declared Nineveh a part of their Islamic state and issued a document outlining new rules.

The 16-point document announced the prohibition of the selling and consumption of alcohol and drugs as well as smoking, and forbade gatherings and carrying weapons.

Women are to wear non-revealing clothes and keep to their homes, while "shrines" are to be destroyed.

- Statues of poets removed -

Ignorance will thrive in Iraq now. Ladies, get inside! And if you dare step out of your homes you better meet the Islamic dress code or else!

Abu Ramzi, one of Mosul's Christians who did not flee the city, said militants destroyed a statue of the Virgin Mary in front of a church.

God help you, I mean Allah help you, if you're Christian. If you're lucky they'll make you denounce your religion and join the dark side.

One resident who fled said a neighbour told him that gunmen came to check empty houses in the area and find out who owns them.

"They asked about my house, my (religious) sect and my phone number," he said.

The gunmen left a message that he had two days to return and renounce his Shiite faith, or the house would be burned.

That makes sense, just burn it. Oh boy.

It's gets much worse. Gotta love that freedom we gave to Iraq. Good thing we invaded. So worth it.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Maybe the world will turn against this kind of radical extremism when confronted with sufficient evidence of the cruelty of ISIS forces......as well as the backwards looking society they wish to build...
There may even be the workings of the next great wart (between Islam and Christians) being planted right now in Iraq.....
Enough atrocities, and they'll be hated by most of the world....then they could be destroyed.....

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
If Only Dick Cheney Had Listened To This Iraq War Critic...

Cheney knew exactly what would happen to Iraq if we invaded and toppled Saddam, but he invaded anyway.

But remember, this is all the fault of the Shiite/Sunni religious wars and has nothing to do with western intervention at all.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

"workings of the next great wart (between Islam and Christians) being planted right now in Iraq...."

next great wart,, surely u mean,,"And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs" lol

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

for a better understanding of a Caliphate,, it must meet curtain critiria,, for instance,,

and "What is the Levant?" by I.P Knightly.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: BobAthome

for a better understanding of a Caliphate,, it must meet curtain critiria,, for instance,,

and "What is the Levant?" by I.P Knightly.

They can have all that area for all I care. But, they will not re-take Spain. NEVER!

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Kratos40

HELL YEAH!

I agree hommie.

My family is from that white sliver in the north that has never been conquered by any foreign invader...Asturias.

I never get tired of saying it...

Asturias will never fall to Islam. Spain will never again be a territory of Islam.

"as long as there are stones in Asturias there will be the will and valor to throw them!"
Don Pelayo.

We are born and raised "matamoros"

en.wikipedia.org...

Hold it down.

edit on 6 22 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

My question about this whole I.S.I.S. take over, is how a relatively small group of extremist Sunni fighters compared to a majority Shiite population are able to do this?
Something does not make sense. When U.S. forces went into Iraq you had both sides setting up IEDs and groups of Islamic militias attacking U.S. troops.
I have not heard/read anything about Shia groups gathering to counter this. Am I missing something here?

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Maybe the world will turn against this kind of radical extremism when confronted with sufficient evidence of the cruelty of ISIS forces......as well as the backwards looking society they wish to build...
There may even be the workings of the next great wart (between Islam and Christians) being planted right now in Iraq.....
Enough atrocities, and they'll be hated by most of the world....then they could be destroyed.....

Sufficient evidence of cruelty? Forgive my being blunt, but are you retarded? If people haven't noticed by now, they never will, or they are FOR the terrorist cell taking over.

I would say taking hold over a nation and forcing any sort of religion down peoples throat with an ultimatum of death is more that sufficient evidence of cruelty. Or am I merely the last sane human being on this planet?
edit on 22-6-2014 by Vortiki because: Typos

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: Kratos40

HELL YEAH!

I agree hommie.

My family is from that white sliver in the north that has never been conquered by any foreign invader...Asturias.

I never get tired of saying it...

Asturias will never fall to Islam. Spain will never again be a territory of Islam.

"as long as there are stones in Asturias there will be the will and valor to throw them!"
Don Pelayo.

We are born and raised "matamoros"

en.wikipedia.org...

Hold it down.

I still have relatives south of Madrid. We are from Monreal del Llano. Cheers to Asturias. Hopefully that will be my next vacation trip. Spain will hold the fort this time around.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

You know OP? The more I'm starting to comprehend what we're seeing here, the less and less I blame the Iraqi forces for saving themselves and their families. What would WE do? Well..over THERE...we'd kill 'em until we ran out of warm bodies to shoot or they killed us. One of the two. It's across the world from our Mothers, Fathers, Sisters and Children. The Iraqis don't have that benefit of distance.

If the ISIS fighters can't get the troops, they damn sure CAN get to their families and send them back to the men in however many individual pieces they'd like them in. I wish I were kidding....but that has been done in that region of the world before and to dramatic effect. It's one hell of a motivator ..and the day before ISIS went on the march to start expanding this time, any one of them could have casually mingled with Iraqi security forces over time to learn who they were and hence, who to kidnap and mail back.

These aren't soldiers. These are Old World Jihadi fighters. Old Caliphate type...which means, like we're watching? You agree with them or they shoot you, as there is no logic to leaving disagreement within their areas. Why? From their point of view, disagreement is offense to Allah himself, directly, and for all we know, they see it as extended to offense by THEM to tolerate it.

I don't think we can overstate the level of brutal we have here. It's something I'm not sure we could have seen before now without a time machine. Even the Taliban didn't go THIS far, as they were evil bastards by deed and word, for the world to see while they held power.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kratos40

My question about this whole I.S.I.S. take over, is how a relatively small group of extremist Sunni fighters compared to a majority Shiite population are able to do this?

How does any small group bring a large group to their knees? Terror. That's how. Not words...like we're used to in the West but Terror by DEED and rarely if ever a word even spoken outside the questions that seal your own fate with them.

When killing isn't for dramatic effect, but simple a systematic process of elimination and purification of entire cities?? How many civilians have the heart to stand and fight people who have NO limits, know NO morality and stop at NOTHING because to them, their goals have the mandate of God himself, and He is watching?

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I just wanted to drop this vid in here .A little ot but maybe not ,

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Completely Off topic. Go bring your hatred to another thread.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Well the world is just sitting and watching these people do their thing because the world doesn't want anybody to get involved. I'm not there but I am certain that the people of Iraq,specially the ones on invaded areas must have thought at least once "Somebody come and take me away from here please,this is not my home anymore,this is not my country anymore!". Or maybe not,because this was all Allah's plan anyways.

I just wish the innocent men and women who want nothing to do with caliphates,other countries's intervention,religious radicals and terrorists would catch a break.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
What are you talking about ."hatred" ? And yes ,a bit off topic ,like I said in my post . I don't make the news ,but do try to share things that are happening in that part of the world . As for you telling me to go well pfff . a reply to: OccamsRazor04

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: metodex

Luck doesn't exist. People make luck. If they want to be left alone they need to stand up and make it happen.

top topics

join