It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could you Leave Your Child behind to Save the Other 2?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: kaylaluv

It is good to know ones limitations. The scenario offered gives no room for hope o save the third child however in the real world these types of things happen far too often.

Think about how many house fires there are on a daily bases. I imagine there have been many parents that have faced similar situations of saving those they could. I think they are able to make those choices because they hold a false hope they can return for the others. The mind if a funny thing because I am sure many at least subconsciously know that there would be no hope of actually returning so they lie to themselves and save the ones they can.

I wonder if there have been those who were completely honest with themselves about the situation and simply sat in the house with their children so they would all die together instead of saving the ones they could?

I think as I said if they can convince themselves there is even the slightest chance to return they would take it, but with such slight of a chance they are still faced with the same decision as the volcano scenario.

Man I should have gone house fire..... I have caught no end of $))!T for my volcano..... Lmao :p

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: ArtemisE

There is no wrong answer Sheba. But isn't that kinda throwing the other 2 into the volcano? Isn't that deciding the other 2's lives aren't worth the pain you would feel over leaving one? I think the courageous choice would be to accept the pain and save who you could.

But here's what bothers me about the scenario. In a real life situation, you don't really know what the outcome is going to be. You may know what your odds are, but it IS possible to beat the odds if you are clever enough. People have beaten the odds many times in real life disaster situations. So in real life, I would think fast and find the smartest way to get us all out. I may not succeed, but then again, I might. I'd have to try. I'm just telling you what I would do in real life, verses your scenario.

Another example would be your house is burning down and you have 3 kids you have to get out. In real life, if I couldn't carry all 3 of them out in my arms, I would find something I could wrap them up in (blanket, sheet, etc.) and drag them out by pulling the blanket behind me. The time it would take me to wrap them up might doom us all, but then again, it might work. The point is, I'd have to try...

Well said! Goes to the point someone just made about " telling your self you would have had time to run back to get the 3rd one".

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

S&F!

I do not have children, so this scenerio is purely fictional for me.

1stly ...

There is NO WAY IN HELL that I as a father am leaving anybody behind! AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

2ndly ...

AND there is NO WAY IN HELL that we are staying on the volcano! AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

Therefor ...

I carry all three ... yes all three ... ONE AT A TIME ... a distance of ten meters away and put them down and I go back for the one closet to the volcano ... and slowly as a group ... we move AWAY from the freaking volcano!

I do not leave anybody behind!

AND me and mine are NOT STAYING PUT on the volcano!

After I have done my very best ... it is up to fickle fate to decide the outcome!

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DietJoke

S&F!

I do not have children, so this scenerio is purely fictional for me.

1stly ...

There is NO WAY IN HELL that I as a father am leaving anybody behind! AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

2ndly ...

AND there is NO WAY IN HELL that we are staying on the volcano! AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

Therefor ...

I carry all three ... yes all three ... ONE AT A TIME ... a distance of ten meters away and put them down and I go back for the one closet to the volcano ... and slowly as a group ... we move AWAY from the freaking volcano!

I do not leave anybody behind!

AND me and mine are NOT STAYING PUT on the volcano!

After I have done my very best ... it is up to fickle fate to decide the outcome!

While doing that the volcano erupts and everyone dies. Lol

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DietJoke

Best reply in this whole thread! Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! Way to say it like you mean it. I was kind of hoping someone would come along and say the heck with the volcano, I am outta here! Good for you.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Most hypotheticals such as this you would need to not use ones family members to be able to gage a response.

Emotion will skew any result especially when ties to others are involved.

There is one about a parachute and hanging off a cliff calling friends to help that is good. It was in the movie I mentioned. That one had me thinking.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
We'd pray, and stay together.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

That was my first answer too, Unity. Only a mother would know that. It's not even a real question if the truth be told. Love works like that sometimes. The best and only true love I have ever known and probably will ever know is holding my children in my arms and looking into the eyes of Heaven. One hundred percent and pure innocence and you get to see it for a brief time when looking into a newborn's eyes.

edit on 22-6-2014 by queenofsheba because: cuz I said so

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DietJoke

That is a good answer, because I just answered in his either or outline, but no one do that, they'd try to get all 3 out. In my case 5. I have a feeling my kids would outrun me and I'd be the only one who would perish in real life, but concerned that a couple might make the mistake and look back for me and die. I have a couple givers and a couple takers, but the takers have a heart too, and demonstrate it at odd moments that they're really alternative givers.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofsheba

No way would I be forced to choose. That movie Sophie's choice, given the prison, and the murder sqad, would have thrown a huge fit to ensure we all died right then and there, because the kids would be tortured otherwise, and would never make a choice between them. Yes, heaven in the eyes of a child, but also little hero's and sometimes protectors.

edit on 22-6-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Actually any answer that was unable to pick one of the two choices would have failed anyone if this was poised in a class.

I thought the OP was pretty clear that there was only two choices. That however is also part of the test in scenarios like this to see if people can clearly understand the problem they face.

I thought about how to construct a scenario like this where people were clear about the choice.

This is what I came up with.

Your in the car with your three kids driving down a winding road in the mountains. Your tire explodes sending the car out of control where half the car is hanging off the cliff teetering.

You can reach two of the children and escape, but any and all attempts to reach the third results in the car sliding further off he edge if you do nothing and wait for help it will be certain death with all four of you going over the cliff as the car is slowly sliding further over the edge.

Do you grab the two you can reach and escape or wait patiently to die with them.

Maybe that scenario which is really the same as the OPs will help people make a decision.
edit on 22-6-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
The premise is flawed, therefore the answers are meaningless.

Mothers and fathers of a devoted nature, when their children are threatened, will do things which are nothing short of miraculous, in order to protect their offspring. Therefore any query which fails to take that into account, and provide for realities quirks and oddities, is a query which has no valuable answer.

Furthermore, the answers one gives to that sort of question in a setting such as this, on a website, cold and removed from the heat of a moment, is not a reliable reflection of the reaction one would have when actually plunged into whatever chaotic hypothetical has been created in the mind of the questioner.

My attitude however, for completeness sake, is that compromise is a dirty word. Life is supposed to be lived, never survived, so always go for a total success, even at risk of a total failure. If you doom yourself, at least you die knowing you did your damnedest, rather than copping out.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Actually any answer that was unable to pick one of the two choices would have failed anyone if this was poised in a class.

I thought the OP was pretty clear that there was only two choices. That however is also part of the test in scenarios like this to see if people can clearly understand the problem they face.

I thought about how to construct a scenario like this where people were clear about the choice.

Your in the car with your three kids driving down a winding road in the mountains. Your tire explodes sending the car out of control where half the car is hanging off the cliff teetering.

You can reach two of the children and escape, but any and all attempts to reach the third results in the car sliding further off he edge if you do nothing and wait for help it will be certain death with all four of you going over the cliff as the car is slowly sliding further over the edge.

Do you grab the two you can reach and escape or wait patiently to die with them.

Maybe that scenario which is really the same as the OPs will help people make a decision.

Nope, still sounds like the same nightmare with the same outcome. Guilt, pain, trauma and survivor's guilt. I guess it's one of those things you need to actually experience to know how you would react. Some people freeze, some jump into action and come out all heroic. I myself have fortunately not been put in that situation. Nor would I want to be. If I were, maybe the adrenaline and survival instincts would kick in and take over where my emotions froze. Hard to say.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I have 3 girls, so I thought about this and I'm going to answer before I read the rest of the reponses so my answer won't be effected by any argument here. I'd have to just sit there with them and let all 4 of us die. I say this because I couldn't live with myself knowing that I let one die and I had to decide which. The other two would never forgive me, my wife wouldn't forgive me and I couldn't forgive myself if I had to choose one to not take with me.

There are worse things than dying with those you love, being together when it ends and having no regrets. One of those things is living a life filled with remorse and regret....

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
double post edit
edit on 22-6-2014 by Nowyouseeme because: double post edit

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I thought of another solution. I would disrobe (take off my clothes), and wrap the stongest one up with the smallest, and use whatever (else) was available to make a cocoon around them...I'd tell them to keep their arms around each other, and their heads tucked next to each other, and that I'd see them at the bottom...
then I would push them, all wrapped up, to roll down the hill.

While they were rolling, I'd go grab the middle-sized one, and run. When we caught up with the other two, we'd give them another nudge, and I'd wrap my arms and legs around the one I'm carrying, and we'd all roll down together.

Done. All safe, or all dead. It's still done.

edit on 6/22/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Nowyouseeme

Well done. I hope you go back and read the rest of the responses.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Most hypotheticals such as this you would need to not use ones family members to be able to gage a response.

Emotion will skew any result especially when ties to others are involved.

There is one about a parachute and hanging off a cliff calling friends to help that is good. It was in the movie I mentioned. That one had me thinking.

I kinda disagree. I think if we used strangers the answer is easy. When it's your own children it's brutal.

P.s. I have yet to make a thread like this where half the posters didn't try to beat the scenario instead of adressing the topic, family or not haha.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Nope you save the 2 you can then probubally die trying to save the last. But then the 2 still survive..... Hehe

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofsheba

Nope, still sounds like the same nightmare with the same outcome. Guilt, pain, trauma and survivor's guilt. I guess it's one of those things you need to actually experience to know how you would react. Some people freeze, some jump into action and come out all heroic. I myself have fortunately not been put in that situation. Nor would I want to be. If I were, maybe the adrenaline and survival instincts would kick in and take over where my emotions froze. Hard to say.

So I take it that as in the other scenario you would all die together? BTW it is the same scenario I just rewrote the situation so that people wouldn't go outside of the poised question. (I just took away options because so many couldn't understand the exercise).

OK so you have given the same answer twice. Now same scenario except you could save two of your children by throwing them free but you will go down with the car and other child.

Do you save the two or have them stay with you till the end?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join