It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fact Sheet: The Economic Challenge Posed by Declining Pollinator Populations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Pollinators contribute substantially to the economy of the United States and are vital to keeping fruits, nuts, and vegetables in our diets. Over the past few decades, there has been a significant loss of pollinators—including honey bees, native bees, birds, bats, and butterflies—from the environment. The problem is serious and poses a significant challenge that needs to be addressed to ensure the sustainability of our food production systems, avoid additional economic impacts on the agricultural sector, and protect the health of the environment.

The Whitehouse - Economic Importance of Pollinators

It seems like the giant rusty gears of government are starting to notice the problem of our rapidly declining number of pollinators, most importantly bees.
There have been several threads on ATS about this subject, but this is the first that I've seen where the government is starting to take action. They propose adding 50 million to the 2015 budget (which is a drop in a bucket), but I think they should start acting immediately.
In my opinion, they should start banning pesticides and herbicides and find other natural ways of controlling pests that destroy our crops. Nature always has a solution. I am certain that Monsanto has the advantage here with their people already in government positions and their army of lobbyists that will undermine this important action.

Here are a few past ATS threads about this topic from our fellow members:

The Vanishing of the Bees

UN alarmed at declining bee population

Metal Pollution Absorbed by Flowers is on Major Cause of Bumblebee Decline New Research Finds

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I think you mean 'Economic Opportunity' don't you?

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

Yes, I do agree. I think the governments concern is more about economics and making money from agriculture than the existence of these animals or the welfare of its citizens.
By protecting their pockets, they in turn save the ecology.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kratos40

Yes, I do agree. I think the governments concern is more about economics and making money from agriculture than the existence of these animals or the welfare of its citizens.
By protecting their pockets, they in turn save the ecology.

When Monsanto has removed bees from the pollination business it will have utter control of life and death.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Well if Monsanto does succeed in killing off the bees they can implement their army of robotic pollinators and sell us their services.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kratos40

Well if Monsanto does succeed in killing off the bees they can implement their army of robotic pollinators and sell us their services.

No, that's not how it works.

It means you must purchase Monsanto seed every year because the plant cannot produce it's own seed.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Good point. Well it looks like were screwed either way. Some crops will need pollinators in the gradual process of Monsanto taking over.
Another important advocate in this whole mess is the decreasing number of small-time farmers (20 acres or less). They have been pushed out by corporate farms (2000 acres or more). Their voice has been lost in this hostile to take over to control our food and water by corporations.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Kratos40

Any beekeepers or small time farmers here on ATS want to give their insights? I did a beekeeper course four years ago near Alburquerque, NM. I learned a lot and even then the owners of the hives mentioned he saw a thinning of the colonies that was not related to the usual cold weather snaps during winter.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Makes me wonder if I shouldn't have cut my grass too quickly. I had at least half a dozen bees flying across the clover in my yard. Apparently my yard has become a hot bed of wildlife. I'm not even counting the bees and bumblebees around certain bushes. I spotted a hummingbird yesterday. I'm wondering if there could be a natural hive of bees in the woods. Seems like a lot of bees. I'm not sure how far they fly from honey farms.

I planted some tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, corn plants, and sun flower seeds. In a couple of months, I might hear a lot of bees in my back yard. So far, I haven't noticed any drop in the local bee population.
edit on 22/6/14 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: orionthehunter

Bees and other pollinators love clover. I would suggest replacing barleygrass/bluegrass with clover if you can. Mixing the two might not be helpful, as you might use weed killer to protect your lawn but poisons the insects. After taking my course, I seed bombed my backyard and empty lots around my neighborhood with flowering plants including clover. This gives them a source of nectar and pollen to take back to their hives.
Your lawn may not look as nice, but your doing something positive. Empty out some egg shells and fill them with native flower seeds from your area and throw them out your car window into empty neighborhood lots at the end of winter. It's a lot of fun!

I have some jasmin plants hanging from my back porch, and when they were flowering this past late winter/early spring I would always see hummingbirds taking nectar from them. I counted three species of them.

ETA: I forgot to mention you will definitely see an increase in bees and bumble bees around your garden. Especially on your sunflowers. More people need to do this on their properties.

edit on KSun, 22 Jun 2014 16:19:59 -0500pm3020145940 by Kratos40 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Kratos40

Thanks for this.

F&S&

top topics

join