It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Limit thread lenghts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I was wondering if anyone had ever given any though to limiting thread lengths to an arbitrary number? For the sake of argument, let’s just say threads were to be limited to 10 pages.

I have noticed that in threads that I have participated in that have grown past a certain point, the same arguments keep popping up, over and over again. In the long run, I suppose that I should just walk away from these things, I sometimes find that difficult to do

If I am not involved in the thread, I generally won’t even look at it if it is over 5 or 6 pages long.

I don’t know what these long threads do to the bandwidth, but if it would improve the performance, then maybe it would be something to think about.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
When it comes to threads that are made to gain points then yes, but some topics are very interesting and should not be cut down.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I agree with you Howard. Some threads far too long. Even if the thread is interesting and has meaning, at some point it loses that and becomes useless squabbles.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I personally do not think the length should be limited. After joining in July, I found a couple threads that had been dormant and posted anyway. The responses took a page or two. If there had been a limit, there could not have been a spot for me. Besides, how many would wait to post so they could get the last word?

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Threads that are HUGE....I usually find they are of serious interest to many. Its pretty OBVIOUS early on which threads are ONLY FOR A POINT count, those are only of interest to the author and a few trolls.

Some however, such as the Aussie Bloke thread concerned everyone.......sure it ended up a hoax in the long run THANK GOODNESS.....but something that concerns a vast amount of people cant be limited.
My reading the HUGE Aussie thread was a personal lesson for me about not believing EVERYTHING you read anyway........so the time I spent on it was not wasted.
I say no.....threads can NOT be limited........that opens up the idea of ATS limiting free speech, which ATS seams to be firmly against. Let it roll!!!

[edit on 1-12-2004 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I don't see how it is a major problem.

People are addicted to 'there ought to be a law'. [regulation]

Non-uniformity makes life more interesting. I don't want to live in a homogenized, pasturized, barfing-bland, monoculture.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by rawiea
If there had been a limit, there could not have been a spot for me. Besides, how many would wait to post so they could get the last word?

I agree totally, I only recently discovered ATS and I am currently on
the 24th page of a very interesting and involved thread that I intend
to begin posting on as soon as I get caught up. Howard this thread
happens to be one that you have posted on hundreds of times and
it wouldn't be fair to new people If they couldn't get involved simply
because the thread ended when it reached a pre-determined limit.

That in effect would make ATS more of a reading site than an active
discusion community.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I've seen boards where this is used fairly successfully, and like it... mainly because you know that there's only 10 pages of messages to go through!
I personally like it, but the board is huge and I don't know that I'd like wading through a full section of 20 different threads that all discussed the same thing just to catch up on what people were saying.

new topics

top topics

join