It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vampires Depicted in Art

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   

With the recent news of the possible discovery of Vlad Tepes's (Draculea) tomb in Naples, Italy....it got me thinking.
Vlad Tepes Tomb in Naples:www.abovetopsecret.com...

Since when have we been able to see art depicting vampires?
I found a tablet -not exactly art, I know- from 1325 B.C.

Assyrian lime stone tablet mentioning vampire from 1325 B.C.

I've been basically searching for 3 days now -being the art lover I am-and have to come to the following conclusions....
The most vampire art comes from now, the 21st century, we are full of it, just check Deviantart or Elfwood for example.
The second most productive period with vampire art was the 19th century.
I found very few art/paintings from the medieval times, let alone from before. But instead they were mentioned in written form.

Some of the art work contained too much nudity to be posted here, so I will show only the ones that don't break any T&Cs.

Ambrogio Lorenzatti ca. 1338

Unknown, ca. 18th century

Unknown, Ambrogio, the first vampire, ca. 1820

The Vampire by R. de Moraine, 1851-52

Edward Munch-Vampire, 1893

Philip Burne Jones-Vampire, 1897

Art from Max Ernst's -Une Semaine de Bonte.. ca. 19th century

John W. Waterhouse-Lamia, 1905 (One of my personal favorites.)

Luis Royo, The Vampire Sextette, 21st century

Bouguereau-Vampire-Painting,21st century

Nathie-Vampire's Delight, 2014

If you find any art related to the topic, please feel free to post it here with the time period it was created.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

Could you possibly source this photo
"Assyrian lime stone tablet mentioning vampire from 1325 B.C. "

I have only found it on one site that has zero info on it. The only place I have found it just states "reference to vampire" I would like to know what it says. I love the vampire legends and art.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: drivers1492

Sure thing, I found it here:
(I'm not sure how much information it has,but that's where I found it.)
www.lesvampires.org...

edit on 22/6/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Personally i feel that the entire concept of vampires and vampiric behaviour is more of a metaphor, than an actual creature(s).

The vampires are the ones, throughout history it seems, who can control the minds and will of the majority of people, coerse certain behaviours, and live of the work of others whom they can control..seemingly getting fat from the blood, sweat and tears of those who are controlled.

Vampires are the 1%. The Satanic element is also present - the number of the beast.

That number applies to the 99% and also applies to the 1%..it is a number that most of Humanity will personally hold or have ascribed to them...their bank balance, and/or monetary worth. (money being the root of all evil/connection with numbers and evil)

So that's how i see it..for images of vampires contained in historic works of art...you need only to look up paintings or sculpture of 'elites' and their cronies and you will have your vampiric art...these are the vampires of folkelore, an allegorical substitution that describes the few that have been feeding off the energies and vigor of the masses throughout the ages.

They might not have fangs, but they certainly are bloodsuckers.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   

That's the only place I can find it referenced as well. Thanks, I'm going to look for it (cause it's 6am I can't sleep and I'm insanely bored) I will update if I find it elsewhere to source the inscription.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
In your favourite picture from 1905, where is the evidence in that picture of vampires?

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Redroc64

Here you go:

Later traditions referred to many lamiae; these were folkloric monsters similar to vampires and succubi that seduced young men and then fed on their blood.[5]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Would be nice if you could actually share your sources for the older ones.
As far as the "21st century" ones, not to be rude but we currently are in the 21st century... Those don't necessarily hold any salt.

Anyway, some of those are pretty cool. But without sources to draw from they can only be taken at face value.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ThinkingCap

I'm sorry, but I was searching for these images for 3 days, and it would be too hard to go to my history on my laptop ,and go through at least 300 pictures until I find the sources.

You can save the image you are interested in, drag it into google images and voila, have the source.

Reverse image search:
support.google.com...

edit on 22/6/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: added a thought

edit on 22/6/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rainbowresidue
Ambrogio Lorenzatti ca. 1338

This one isn't a vampire.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Allegory of Good and Bad Government is a series of frescoes painted by Ambrogio Lorenzetti from around February 26, 1338 to May 29, 1339

"Lorenzetti’s The Effects of Bad Government fresco has not been written on as extensively as The Effects of Good Government, partly due to the worse condition of this fresco. The wall on which the fresco of The Effects of Bad Government is depicted used to be an exterior wall, so has suffered much moisture damage in the past. When the viewer turns to examine this mural, they are confronted with a devious looking figure adorned with horns and fangs, and appearing to be cross-eyed. This figure is identified as TYRAMMIDES (Tyranny). He sits enthroned, resting his feet upon a goat (symbolic of luxury), and in his hand he sinisterly holds a dagger."

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Looks very interesting R.Residue! I can't read the colored text due to age-related eye problems, but the pictures were worth clicking on the thread!

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Regarding the cuneiform tablet. The description claims it's from the period of Adad Nirari I. I couldn't come up with anything about those specific pieces but I wonder if it's not something like a Lamashtu plaque.

Wikipedia - Lamashtu

In Mesopotamian mythology, Lamashtu (Akkadian dLa-maš-tu; Sumerian Dimme dDim3-me) was a female demon, monster, malevolent goddess or demigoddess who menaced women during childbirth and, if possible, kidnapped children while they were breastfeeding. She would gnaw on their bones and suck their blood, as well as being charged with a number of other evil deeds. She was a daughter of the Sky God Anu.

Lamashtu is depicted as a mythological hybrid, with a hairy body, a lioness' head with donkey's teeth and ears, long fingers and fingernails, and the feet of a bird with sharp talons. She is often shown standing or kneeling on a donkey, nursing a pig and a dog, and holding snakes. She thus bears some functions and resemblance to the Mesopotamian demon Lilith.

This is a picture of a Lamashtu plaque in the Louvre. Here's the description from the linked page:

This plaque was used for protection against Lamashtu, a female demon or goddess who would imperil women during childbirth and even kidnap babies while breastfeeding. Neo-Assyrian, 10th-7th century BCE. Musee du Louvre, Paris

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Thanks nugget, and I'm sorry about the colors.
Will make it white next time.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Nice thread, I'm an art lover too, and vampires, love vampires. They've been everywhere lately. Where did the mythology of the vampire begin? Do the stories have any truth to them or were they just that, stories? I want to believe.

A 400 year old "vampire grave" was recently discovered in Poland.
Deviant burials are often linked to Black Death related cemeteries and to medieval ignorance of how diseases spread.

More than 400 years ago, villagers in a small town in northwestern Poland gathered together to dig a grave.

They may have been terrified that the person they were burying was a vampire who would rise again.

During medieval times, people would force a stone into the dead person’s mouth to make sure the corpse would starve to death.

‘Vampire’ burial site discovered in Poland

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy
Wow,thanks for taking your time to post that latest find, I appreciate it.
*Throws star at you.*
Enjoy your Sunday.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Pauligirl

I'm sorry, but I was going by this explanation:

Ambrogio Lorenzetti, Allegory of Bad Government,

in the Palazzo Pubblico, Siena

Allegory of Bad Government: arms of France, winter, Mars (god of war), Nero (Roman emperor), vampire called Tyranny, Avarice, Superbia, Vainglory, Justice bound and scales and cord broken, crime and murder, fires and destruction in the countryside, Timor (fear) rules over the countryside, burning fields and ruined houses

www.flashcardmachine.com...
Have a nice day.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

a reply to: Redroc64

Here you go:

Later traditions referred to many lamiae; these were folkloric monsters similar to vampires and succubi that seduced young men and then fed on their blood.[5]

en.wikipedia.org...

I was also interested in that one. I know I've seen it before. It's hard to be sure on my phone screen, but I just noticed there appears to be some ghoulish face in the background, and it looks like it has an arm reaching toward the sword. Is that really there or am I seeing things?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Are you talking about this?
What on earth is it?

And yes, it looks like it's grabbing the sword, or going for the sword.
It's red,and does look like a little demon, or ghoul.
I have never zoomed this picture up so big before to notice it.
Good catch

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

a reply to: nugget1

Thanks nugget, and I'm sorry about the colors.
Will make it white next time.

I got my eight year old grand daughter to read it to me!

Made her feel really important, too! lol
Great thread!

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I've always wondered why short, dumpy people of either sex are never bitten by vampires... discrimination?

Should we make some laws?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join