It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Next-generation Russian spaceship unveiled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Russian space officials unveiled yesterday a full-scale mockup of the craft they hope will someday replace the Soyuz Space capsule. Energia the company that has built every single Russian human space vehicles to date hosted the unveiling at its headquarters in Korolyov.

Despite the unveiling significant steps must be undertaken before the first manned test flight tentatively set for 2010 can be done safely. One of the major hurdles of the project is funding, or the lack thereof because in order for the first test flight to become a reality the Russian government has to commit to funding levels they haven't been able to meet since the Cold War.

msnbc.msn.com
HOUSTON - Russian space officials on Tuesday unveiled a full-scale high-fidelity mockup of the spacecraft they hope will replace the veteran Soyuz space capsule. Descriptions of the Kliper (for "clipper ship") vehicle have been widely circulated in the space community but today�s presentation in Moscow was the most detailed yet.

The Energia Rocket and Space Corporation, the organization that has built all of Russian�s human space vehicles for the past half century, hosted the media event at its headquarters in Korolyov, a Moscow suburb. Deputy General Designer Valeriy Ryumin, himself a former cosmonaut, called the craft "a spaceship of the future" and boasted that "neither the United States nor Europe have anything of the kind."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Is this a repeat of the Russian Space shuttle Buran? Will it too flop due to lack of funding by the Russian government? I for one am a big fan of Energia for the rugged space technology consistently produced time and again, and even when Russia's technology in that area started to slip Energia has proven that it can remain somewhat competitive in the ingenuity department. Will another funding source become available especially with the successful prize winning flight of Spaceship One? I hope so because we are in dire need of some new space technology.

[edit on 1-12-2004 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
UPDATE: Ok I just finished watch a Discovery Channel news caption about this new spacecraft and it just seems to be a ripoff of Nasa's lifeboat return vehicle that was suposedly scrapped due to lack of funding. Can anyone think of the name of Nasa's vehicle? I can't seem to remember it.

new topics

join