It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question to all: Am I a "Christian"?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

Do you have christ in you? have you ever had christ in you?

Please re-read the resume/CV. I was baptized as an infant and participated fully in the church and it's sacraments for over 30 years.

As to your questions: You Tell ME! That's the point!!

(I know what I think - I'm asking what you all think.)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: AfterInfinity

Okay, thanks!!

I want to add one more "belief" and "action":
CV: Follow the Golden Rule all my life.

BELIEF: Is the Golden Rule the only one that matters? Yes.

You know, the golden rule is in 2 parts. You know the second part but avoid completely the first part.

can you explain why?

Yes, you are a christian. No, you explain yourself you are not a Christian.
You cannot be saved by works. You deny the lamb of God. Just as Cains sacrifice was rejected because his heart was wrong and provided an alternate sacrifice, you too attempt to replace the meat (lamb) offering to one of your own liking. He is the propitiation for sin. You cannot add to it. You can only accept it as the gift in the way it was given

edit on 21-6-2014 by manna2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-6-2014 by manna2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Apostasy doesn't always mean "rebellion". That is just one way to look at it. I'm sure there are Christians that would interpret your story as a rebellion, but sometimes people fall away from their faith for various reasons, not necessarily out of rebellion, but out of doubt, or personal life issues. Essentially, if you have a faith, and then later reject it, you're considered an apostate. That isn't really an insult, it's just the term used.

You're free to believe whatever you like. That is the beauty of free will. I don't judge you personally, as I have had moments where I was troubled in my faith (for different reasons). I'm a sinner just like anyone else, so it's not like I think I'm better than you because I am still a believer. I hope the best for you, and to be honest, I hope you one day consider returning to the fold (so to speak). But ultimately that is up to you. God bless

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: manna2

You know, the golden rule is in 2 parts. You know the first part but avoid completely the first part.

can you explain why? Yes, you are a christian. No, you explain yourself you are not a Christian.

What?

I've read this 3 times, and I don't understand what you are saying. I want to, though, so - can you try again to make it more clear, please?

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I think these disqualify you ...

Jesus's existence? Yes, probably.
He died for our sins? No.
Resurrection? Not the way it's taught. Maybe the swoon theory.

What you were before now doesn't matter. What you believe now is what matters. You can't be a Christian if you don't even believe for sure that Christ existed. You can't follow someone who you just think 'probably' existed. Right?

To be a Christian ... you have to believe that Jesus came from Heaven to save humanity. You have to try to love God and love neighbor as He commanded.

I'm pretty sure I remember you said that you don't know if God exists. So you really can't love and serve a God ... a deity that you don't know exists. Right?

So I've gotta say .. no. You aren't a Christian.

Why do you ask? Are you feeling a tug? I'm getting a feeling you might be ... am I wrong?

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

GOOD point! I'll make an edit to appropriate the comment.

for your signature, feel free

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

So - what will happen to me?

That's up to God. It's not our place to judge or second guess his decisions.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

You know, the golden rule is in 2 parts. You know the first part but avoid completely the first part.

can you explain why? Yes, you are a christian. No, you explain yourself you are not a Christian.

What?

I've read this 3 times, and I don't understand what you are saying. I want to, though, so - can you try again to make it more clear, please?
If I thought you were cheerful and lighthearted and called you gay. Would you think I was saying you are gay? You hijacked the word that means something throughout history and deny it. Yet you redefine it and claim you are now one of them. I have even read where you claim a Christian isnt one because they werent a practicing christian. Its word play to you. Its a lifes walk to those that have been discipled and follow Him. No, I did not say him...

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Why do you ask? Are you feeling a tug? I'm getting a feeling you might be ... am I wrong?

Well, considering my background, the "tug" has been there since my birth. I doubt it will ever go away.

I'm asking mostly out of curiosity, as I said - I mean, how often does one get to ask people with whom they interract, or who read their writings, what they think?

Also, I'm trying to get a better feel for how everyone else who hangs out here thinks, ya know? It helps to navigate one's way with people when one knows with whom, and on what sort of 'track' you're together traveling.

With regards to different 'traveling companions' (which I think we all are), or, if you will - keypad-pals.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

*mouth hanging open*.

I honestly have no idea what you are saying or accusing me of, or whatever. Really.

*huge puzzly face here*

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

It's really hard to say because

1) I don't know you personally

2) You could live a life that is contrary to the teachings of the Bible regardless of your life story

3) No-one here should be able to answer this question unless they know you personally and how you live your life.

Going off what you have said though, I wouldn't call you a Good Christian.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I was baptized as an infant and participated fully in the church and it's sacraments for over 30 years.

That doesn't matter. It's where you are in your heart and soul NOW that matter.

John 14:15-31 Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24 He who does not love me will not obey my teaching.

That tells me that God being in a person is conditional. You have to love Jesus and obey His teaching. If you don't even know for sure that Jesus is real or that God is real, then you can't really love them, right?

Some fundamentalist Christians believe that 'once saved always saved'. The vast majority of Christians do not. They realize that you can indeed have a loss of the Holy Spirit.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I think what is being said is that you get the second part of the golden rule done very well ... love your neighbor. But the first part of the golden rule says 'love God'. And since you don't know if you believe in God or Jesus at all, then you aren't fulfilling the golden rule because you can't love someone that you don't even believe if they exist or not.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

*mouth hanging open*.

I honestly have no idea what you are saying or accusing me of, or whatever. Really.

*huge puzzly face here*
hehe, if i called you a fagg, would you think i refered to you as a bundle of sticks? If i refered to your father as a gentleman, does that mean he is a landowner. A great read for you would be "the Abolitian of Man" to get an idea of how word play and redefining meanings to words leads to a dumbed down people that lose understanding over just a few generations. Part of being a Christian is the absolute reassurance through the Holy Spirit that we find refuge in Him and our eternal destiny is secure in our faith that He is our redeemer. So, you do or do not believe He is the Annointed?

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

a reply to: FlyersFan

You know, the golden rule is in 2 parts. You know the second part but avoid completely the first part.

Oh!!!
Light Bulb On!!

You're thinking of the Jesus commandments: Love God with all your heart/soul/mind AND love your neighbor as yourself.

Right? Whew. I was really confused there.

Nono. I'm talking about The Golden Rule: TREAT OTHERS AS YOU WOULD WANT TO BE TREATED.

The Golden Rule or ethic of reciprocity is a maxim,[1] ethical code or morality[2] that essentially states either of the following:

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself. (Positive form.)[1]
One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated (Negative form, also known as the Silver Rule).[1]
This concept describes a "reciprocal", or "two-way", relationship between one's self and others that involves both sides equally, and in a mutual fashion.[3][4]

That one. It's been around since forever - long before Jesus lived. It's the one common denominator.

edit on 6/21/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Part of being a Christian is the absolute reassurance through the Holy Spirit that we find refuge in Him and our eternal destiny is secure in our faith that He is our redeemer.
Ah. Thank you for clarifying.

So, you do or do not believe He is the Annointed?

Honest answer: I DON'T KNOW. I don't know if he is, or not....AND, I don't know if I believe it, or not.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

You sound more like a Buddhist to me..definately not a Christian..

As for my own beliefs they are rocky.. I believe that a higher power "has my back," and I usualy call this power Jesus. I pray to Jesus, thank him for the good and bad, and occasionaly go to church...Sometimes I thank him for dying on the cross for me but depending on the day I might disregard all the dogma as rubbish. I think I believe but Im not sure I actually do believe. I dont think I can legitimately call myself a Christian either.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Jesus command .. love God and love neighbor. So you really don't follow His command and you don't believe if He even existed. So you've really kinda answered your own question .. right? You are not a Christian.

Tug tug tug going on at the heart strings.
Pray about it. See what happens.
Ask God to reveal Himself to your heart.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

You sound more like a Buddhist to me..definately not a Christian..

Yeahhh.....*sigh*...that's kinda what I'm thinkin'. I'm rather stuck, too.

But - why do ya think the early shepherding of loving parents and church folk didn't "stick the landing"?

It just never made sense to me. I guess I'm frustrated, really - I WANT to believe SOMETHING....with confidence, and serenity. Believe it or not, I DO pray - and I DO discuss things with my angels, and believe in them - they are here, and also with my children, and (as I was taught later) watching after me/us....

"God"? Well - as a meme, I just don't know. I believe there is a Divine Source to which we are all connected permanently - that we all will 'get there' in our own time and way. Someone posted once (and I like this):

There are many routes up the mountain (and then something about people running around at the bottom pointing out paths)....

Anyway....I've reread the whole thread so far, and my gears a certainly churning.

I hope everyone realizes - like I just did! - that perhaps there are some crossed wires amongst us in what we think "The Golden Rule" actually is.

In my understanding, it's a bit different from Jesus's commandment that included the "two parts" - "Love God" and "Love Neighbor."

edit on 6/21/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

You're clearly culturally a Christian.

From an ideological standpoint you're on the edge of the faith.

You might want to look at the writings of John Shelby Spong. He's a retired Episcopal bishop who proposes a notion of Christianity without the resurrection. He believes the resurrection is symbolic rather than literal.

You also might want to look into Unitarian philosophy which doesn't accept the divinity of Jesus. The current Unitarian church doesn't support Unitarian philosophy. So don't confuse the two.

But you also might find the Unitarian Church of interest. Because they are open to a range of beliefs and non-beliefs, but still allow you to participate in the community aspects of belonging to a church.

But to answer your basic question:

You currently would be best described as a Non-Doctrinal Christian.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join