It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question to all: Am I a "Christian"?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I will give a brief point by point synopsis of my experiences and beliefs, and then I would honestly like to know, from those who claim they are of any faith (esp. those who ARE Christians) - whether you think I 'count' or not. I won't take it personally. I don't expect everyone to say yes, or everyone to say no. I'm just measuring where I would stand in a "poll" of other self-professed Christians. Pastors, atheists, agnostics, Christians, Jews, Buddhists, nones, Catholics, Pentecostals - all of you....

If I were to walk into your life and present myself with these attributes - what would you 'label' me as?

Okay? Here we go - my religious resume (CV):

Baptized as an infant in the Episcopal Church.

Attended churches of that denomination for 16 years.

Attended Sunday School.

Recited the Nicene Creed every Sunday.

Participated in Mom's advent wreath/calendar stuff/bedtime and pre-meal prayers at home.

Went to midnight Christmas Eve Mass as well as Sunrise Service at Easter.

Sang in church choir.

Tried my hardest to be 'worthy.'

Had a role in the Youth Group's production of Jesus Christ Superstar movie we made.

Confirmed in Episcopal Church (after classes).

Stopped regular attendance around age 16.

First marriage took place in Episcopal Church (after mandatory premarital 'counseling').

Had first child Baptized.

Was never "excommunicated" (I don't even think Episcopalians do that, as far as I know).

Started looking into other faiths out of curiosity.

No longer an attendee.

Okay - that's it for factual upbringing/history. Now, let's go on to my beliefs.

Do I, or did I ever, believe:

Nicene Creed? No

Jesus's existence? Yes, probably.

Jesus's message? Yes, insofar as the "Golden Rule" is concerned.

Unconditional Forgiveness? Yes.

Original sin? No.

He died for our sins? No.

Resurrection? Not the way it's taught. Maybe the swoon theory.

Rose into heaven on a cloud? Nope.

Will come again? No.

Will judge everyone? No.

Hell? No.

Heaven with wings, halo, harp on cloud? Nope.

One life only? No. (Reincarnation? Yes.)

Once saved always saved? No.

Jesus is the only way? No.

The Bible is the inerrant word of God? No.

Works or faith or both? Works only.

I'm not going to go into my mistakes or 'foibles' as a human being who has, admittedly, made many mistakes.
I just would like to hear from the others who profess ANY kind of knowledge of what makes someone a "Christian" to tell me whether I'm an acceptable specimen or not. Merely out of curiosity and self-appraisal/insight. I hope you will oblige me!

For extra credit, if you ARE a Christian, and you say I am not, please explain why. (for example: I have had people who go to "Church of Christ" tell me "You're not a Christian if you're an Episcopalian." )

Try to be as honest and kind as possible, and not hateful, please. I just want to know where you would "stick" me in a spread sheet.

Thanks for playing!! I'll look forward to tallying up the consensus.

edit on 6/21/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
You know, if you'd like to contribute your own "Religious CV and Beliefs Checklist" that would be interesting, too!!
And I will tell you if I think you'd qualify as a Christian or not. If you'd like. Anyone. Or not. Totally up to you!!

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

He died for our sins? No.

Resurrection? Not the way it's taught. Maybe the swoon theory.

Rose into heaven on a cloud? Nope.

Will come again? No.

Will judge everyone? No.

Hell? No.

Then no, most people will not consider you a true Christian. And those who do are probably considered false Christians themselves.
edit on 21-6-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

Okay, thanks!!

I want to add one more "belief" and "action":

CV/Resume: Followed the Golden Rule all my life, and still do.

BELIEF: Is the Golden Rule the only one that matters? Yes.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
No. To be a Christian you must believe that Jesus was the Messiah/Son of God, died for the sins of the world, and was resurrected and sits at the right hand of God's throne. If you attend church (or did in the past) but don't believe in these key tenets of the Christian faith, you are an apostate of the Christian faith, baptized or not.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

Very well. So - what will happen to me? 'Cause I had only just reached the psychological "age of reason" 7-8ish that I realized what I was saying and didn't believe it.

In your belief?

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Read first few lines and had a semi opinion. I'll follow up on weather or not I agree with what I said and more shortly.

I think it's left up the the impression of who ever is judging you but it's still an incomplete answer as they are not your judge, god is. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but your belief can only be displayed in a finite manner, so you are left as the only one who can decide that question...

As far as what Christianity teaches if you believe in your heart that god exists and you do genuinely have love for the being, you are accepted... because god accepts and understands human ignorance. Hell, he created it! (lol, hell)
edit on 21-6-2014 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

My first point would be that if you are indeed a Christian, then you shouldn't care what anyone else thinks. You should only care what God thinks, and you would know exactly what He thinks if you read your Bible and were familiar with it, specifically the New Testament. You could judge yourself based on that, because that is what God judges. Having said that, everything that you listed, at least in the first half of your OP, is something that you did. Another way of saying that is that everything you listed are works, and works do not save... only faith in Jesus Christ in what He did on the cross can save, but you made it clear that you don't believe that, so the answer to your question is, unfortunately... NO, you are not a Christian, in any sense of the word. I mean no offense, but that is the truth. Hopefully you search your heart and that changes.
edit on 21-6-2014 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

Very good point. Thanks for that.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Very well. So - what will happen to me?
In your belief?

I don't know. Just being honest. I believe God loves you, and that He doesn't want you to perish. He alone is judge, and what His plan for you is, I cannot say. Maybe he will have a chat with you at some point in the future, or when you die or about to die, you will be presented with another chance? I really can't say. It's not for me to say what your fate is. It's God's business (and yours), not mine.
edit on 21-6-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusSubprime

My first point would be that if you are indeed a Christian, then you shouldn't care what anyone else thinks.

Another excellent point!!

I don't really - I'm merely curious, as I said, to see what other members of ATS who prowl this hallway think....I didn't say it "matters". But thanks for that boost of confidence.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I added a little more that you may or not agree with.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Hey, DS, could you kindly go back and check the edit I made? Or - well, I'll repeat it:

It was by age of 7 or 8, definitely 10, that I would hear what I was saying (in King James English), actually understand what it meant (linguistically, that is. Vocab/grammar), and knew I did not believe it.

It wasn't so much a "rebellion" as it was a "What The....#?" No! I don't think that's true at all!!

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

With what I said, I choose to believe god exists because I want him to knowing full well I could be wrong. As far as religion, I'm confirmed catholic but non practicing because I believe the book of god is merely the book of man presented in what they want gods word to be.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I saw in the post "will judge everyone? No" You may be entirely correct. May we be our own judges after death? A possibility in my eyes. Wouldn't it be awesome to die, meet god, have him give us his knowledge and let us judge for ourselves.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusSubprime

Another way of saying that is that everything you listed are works, and works do not save... only faith in Jesus Christ in what He did on the cross can save, but you made it clear that you don't believe that, so the answer to your question is, unfortunately... NO, you are not a Christian, any any sense of the word. I mean no offense, but that is the truth. Hopefully you search your heart and that changes.

Okay. A few follow up questions for you, ok?? My "works" were partially the actions of my parents (the infant baptism, taking me to church, blah blah). I didn't have any 'choice' or 'volition' until I was 16. I didn't believe it when I was a little kid.
So - did I "leave" the faith? Am I, as DeadSeraph says, an "apostate"?

Or - what happened to me? Why didn't the rituals and lessons and memorization and singing and so forth work, since it was my parents who orchestrated all of it?

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Wouldn't it be awesome to die, meet god, have him give us his knowledge and let us judge for ourselves.

OH. W O W.

That is a really profound statement. I love it. I adore it.
Would it be okay if I used that as a signature on my profile? Because when you put it in those words, I think that is EXACTLY what happens! I just never could phrase it as eloquently!!

I feel full of joy now. Thanks

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs Do you have christ in you? have you ever had christ in you?

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I never said I think "God" doesn't exist.
My post was about the doctrine I learned, my beliefs, and Jesus. I didn't even mention "God."

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I would say that you are a Christian, because of your cultural roots and the social group with which you predominantly associate and with which you identify.
Religion is not just a matter of a set of strict beliefs, it is also an essential component of the way you choose to live your life. For instance, there is no creed in Judaism, Islam and Buddhism. These religions have guidance and rules for living. These act to bind the social group together to create a distinct group that has social cohesiveness. In Christianity the Nicene Creed , festivals, church going, rituals like Holy Communion act in a similar way, but of these i think that being physically and socially involved in the life and practice of the church or other congregation is the most important aspect of all religions, because it keeps you and your family in contact with co-religionists for mutual friendship and support.
I think it is very normal in Christianity for people to have doubts about the teachings of the Church. These doubts are often held by the very people who are leaders of congregations. Their training exposes them to Biblical criticism and one thing leads to another. Personally, I was very influenced by King Jesus, by Robert Graves, and all of the books by Barbara Thiering (do an internet search).
There is no reason for you not to feel comfortable as a Christian, but you might need to consider associating with a different congregation whose worship and ethos chime more easily with your feelings about God.
reply to: BuzzyWigs

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join