It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glenn Greenwald Gets Into Huge Fight About Snowden On 'Real Time With Bill Maher'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Euphem

Cause they plan for this type of thing and know how to deal with their info coming out....
I'm sure with the trillions of dollars they have at their finger tips they were able to figure out a majority of the info that he took

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Euphem

I'm sure the US intelligence community is changing constantly regardless of Snowden or any other scandals that may or may not be taking place... Constantly altering your approach is a great way to keep any rival Govt's from finding out what you're doing and guessing, but staying put doing things the same way always will get you caught... Just my two cents, especially knowing that we are all speculating here. I just give the intelligence community a little more credit then that.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
There is so much that makes no sense at all about Snowden that I really think this whole thing was a put up job.

Just for starters, even NSA contractors are known to have rigorous testing, lie detection, background checks, etc.

If the NSA contractor had of looked at Ed Snowden's FACEBOOK page they would have seen that he was supporting hacking groups and was very anti Government, which would be a massive red flag to someone looking to hire that person as a Government contractor with widespread access to sensitive data and systems.

Whomever did the background check was either incompetent or was working with someone who wanted to ensure that Snowden got access to the NSA.

Also, on arrival in Moscow, Snowden ends up getting a job and an apartment, in a city where this really can't be done easily without Government intervention, but has consistently said that he had no meetings with anyone high up in Government.

The idea that he was "stranded in Russia by the State Department" is also bogus, he had no valid travel documents when he arrived in Moscow and was still allowed to enter the country, which also would have taken intervention from someone extremely high up in Government.

There is so much about his background and his dealings with the NSA that make absolutely no sense at all.

And if you believe that the Government that spends almost $70 billion a year on their military - industrial - intelligence complex allows one badly screened system analyst to take down their entire intelligence gathering apparatus, you're as big a fool as anyone.

The NSA has been severely curtailed in their intelligence gathering ability, and had all their dirty laundry aired in public. Meanwhile America's enemies are laughing at the ridiculousness of it all.

If you think Ed Snowden has "done great things for America by exposing all this", again, you're as big a fool as anyone.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Well of course things change, especially when it comes to technology.

I wasn't referring to that though. Nobody knows when he obtained all of these documents. Nobody knows the extent of documents he stole. Nobody knows who he may have given these documents to.

Just because they found out about it, doesn't mean they found out about it in time to make the necessary changes needed to prevent further damage.

You all just assume he is a good guy when really you have no idea.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Euphem

Well of course things change, especially when it comes to technology.

I wasn't referring to that though. Nobody knows when he obtained all of these documents. Nobody knows the extent of documents he stole. Nobody knows who he may have given these documents to.

Just because they found out about it, doesn't mean they found out about it in time to make the necessary changes needed to prevent further damage.

You all just assume he is a good guy when really you have no idea.

Maybe I'm wrong to assume he is a good guy, but I also believe the US Govt. is wrong stating that this man is a enemy of the state for him exposing the NSA for the wrongful things they were doing... I'm sure the truth lies somewhere between the two sides, but I tend to side with Snowden more then the Govt. that constantly does us wrong.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I never said I trust the US gov't. Far from it. But there is no need to pick a side here. Both of them could very well be against our best interests.

Like I said originally, the majority of what Snowden is cited for leaking was already public knowledge. The problem was that it wasn't a national issue, and his scandal sparked that national debate. Which was a good thing. However, I still don't trust him at all, and there is no reason that I should.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Euphem

I never said I trust the US gov't. Far from it. But there is no need to pick a side here. Both of them could very well be against our best interests.

Like I said originally, the majority of what Snowden is cited for leaking was already public knowledge. The problem was that it wasn't a national issue, and his scandal sparked that national debate. Which was a good thing. However, I still don't trust him at all, and there is no reason that I should.

Well, to be fair, if you are in the intelligence community today, I likely won't ever trust you.... hahaha...

And with Snowden, I'm sure he falls in between the two sides of the debate, what he says about himself and what the Govt. says about him.
edit on 21-6-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I don't think it's safe to really ever trust anybody.

ESPECIALLY people you have never met. Why would you?!

Trust close family members and friends, and even then not fully.

People are flawed and have their own hidden agendas. Often times the most kind and charismatic people are the most twisted and evil, and are mainly just overcompensating for what they know they lack on the inside.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Personally, I've changed my mind about Snowden more than once. There will come a time, in the very near future, that whatever he knows is either going to be outdated or something other governments have found out for themselves. In fact, China probably listened to him long enough to figure out they already knew more than he did and sent him on his way to Russia.

What's Snowden going to do in, say, 3 years from now? his value will have eroded considerably. Maybe he can get a room next to Assange at the Ecuadorian embassy.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
Greenwald pretty much put the Vet in his place when he compared him to Daniel Ellsberg and Snowden is just like Ellsberg. This is what Ellsberg said about Snowden.

Edward Snowden is the greatest patriot whistleblower of our time, and he knows what I learned more than four decades ago: until the Espionage Act gets reformed, he can never come home safe and receive justice

And this statement is true if Snowden were to come back and face justice like the Vet keeps repeating over and over he would not get a fair trial it would be nothing but a kangaroo court.
If you watch the whole show the Vet comes across like a government propaganda machine.

If he really believed in what he did, he should come back. At very least he could be the face of a new beginning in the US.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: fenson76

If I was Snowden I would avoid the US too... There is NO WAY in hell he would get a fair trial here, and I'm sure he would "hang himself" while in US custody before even seeing his day in court. Until the US Govt. gets cleaned up, I would stay away at all costs.
edit on 21-6-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

I don't believe that at all. I am sorry, but you need to think a bit bigger. There are WAY to many people around the world that feel favoritism toward Snowden, that the US would never risk hurting him. This would be the trial of the century and everyone would want to know every little detail.

Unfortunately, the only fair trials these days, especially for those who are guilty(OJ Simpson, Jodi Arias) are the ones that are part of a media frenzy.

He would get an extremely fair trial, because the majority of US citizens feel strongly enough towards him that they would demand it.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This entire situation is like a double-edged sword, because both Edward Snowden and the Government are in the same.

The U.S. government are wrong for spying on it's citizens in such depth. The key word here is depth.

At the same time, It's necessary in some circumstances to prevent terrorism but there needs to be some kind of regulation. We need oversight and transparency, and it should be normal citizens monitoring whats going on, NOT the NSA director or it's employees.

I thank Edward Snowden for opening up peoples eyes, but deep down I think all of us knew it was going on. I certainly did.

Unfortunately the U.S. government has labeled Edward Snowden an enemy of the state, and I agree with that assessment, even though I like certain elements of what he did.

The reason I agree with the U.S. Govt is because he is in a foreign country with sensitive data that could potentially disrupt our national security.

Edward Snowden knew that when he leaked this information, he would be putting himself in a bad situation.

I'm sure there are a lot of things the public don't know about this situation, I read recently that Ed stated he was high up in the C.I.A. I wouldn't doubt it.

Edward Snowden is a Martyr with a candle.
edit on 21-6-2014 by faust833 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: faust833

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite
Snowden's a hero in my book and one day he will be recognised as such!
Got brains and balls!!
Good luck to him.
F..k Obama no karma!
At first I thought Snowden was a hero too. I guess he is to a certain extent, for blowing the whistle on the NSA.

But, he is in Russia with U.S. Top secret intelligence.

And if it's true, that he worked for the C.I.A. as a spy.

Russia is going to get that information out of him, So technically he is an enemy of the state.

Thats not his fault though, russia was the only place he could go to have his life and freedom protected. Nothing anyone in intelligence could tell russia would do or hurt anyone. Its all shenanigans.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImaFungi

Got brains and balls!!
Good luck to him.
F..k Obama no karma!
At first I thought Snowden was a hero too. I guess he is to a certain extent, for blowing the whistle on the NSA.

Russia is going to get that information out of him, So technically he is an enemy of the state.

Thats not his fault though, russia was the only place he could go to have his life and freedom protected. Nothing anyone in intelligence could tell russia would do or hurt anyone. Its all shenanigans.

Perhaps it's not his fault, we don't know. He could have been a Russian Spy the entire time. China may have been a diversion tactic.

As far as "Nothing anyone in intelligence could tell russia would do or hurt anyone" I would have to strongly disagree.

The U.S. could be crippled physically and economically if the wrong information were to be leaked. U.S.-Russian relations are already crippled.

And remember, Russias allie is our worst enemy.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImaFungi

Got brains and balls!!
Good luck to him.
F..k Obama no karma!

Perhaps it's not his fault, we don't know. He could have been a Russian Spy the entire time. China may have been a diversion tactic.

As far as "Nothing anyone in intelligence could tell russia would do or hurt anyone" I would have to strongly disagree.

The U.S. could be crippled physically and economically if the wrong information were to be leaked. U.S.-Russian relations are already crippled.

And remember, Russias allie is our worst enemy.

Im sorry I just dont think any modern civil nation will attempt to or be successful at physically crippling another nation, unless they also want to physically cripple themselves. And economically we are doing a fine enough job crippling ourselves.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: faust833

Let me ask you this, realistically speaking, what course of action could Snowden have taken that would have been okay in your eyes? He worked in the intelligence community, he was obviously privy to loads of classified content, and then he saw what the NSA was up to and wanted to bring it to the nation's attention. I don't see what other action he could have taken to bring this to the masses attention. If he takes it to his supervisor or something along those lines it would just be swept under the rug. In my eyes, he had this choice and only this choice... And its a damn shame that our intelligence groups within the Govt. put their workers in unfair moral/ethical positions where they feel compelled to do something about it. If the US Govt. just did things the "right" way or the way the law is written, then this wouldn't be an issue.. The US Govt. put the Nations security at risk when they decided to start spying on its citizens and bending the laws, it wasn't Snowden's doing...

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
yeah, that's a nice black-eye to the establishment. well done!
On TV archives = in the history books!

what a stupid position, '' how can you tell me people haven't died from the release of this information ''
Internet spying was known about before the information was released, you also didn't do a good job safe guarding the information in the first place. Your loose practices have enabled sensitive information/ to get into the hands of the Russians.

I believe a full audit is required!

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Well.....still waiting on that "huge argument"...
?

What is with the sensationalist titles to these threads? (I understand it isn't your fault OP, thread titles matching source titles and all that).....

I really have no opinion on Snowden, at this point. I could care less. Like others, I am sick to death of EVERYONE'S propaganda...period. I knew before and I know after [his "revelations"/"whistleblowing"].....not like he told me anything that any paying attention didn't already know...which leads me to believe.....meh, nevermind. Not willing to debate it out tonight.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Edward Snowden took the right course of action, there wasn't much else he could do.

My point was, that he obviously thought it out and knew what the consequences were going to be.

You're right, it is a shame that our intelligence community is spying on us to the extent they are. It's just an old case of paranoia.

You said in your post "Only if the U.S. govt. did things the right way then this wouldn't be happening."

Welp I'm pretty sure that there is nothing honest in politics, politicians are some of the most crooked people on earth, and i'm sure you know that.

"Security" is getting worse and worse. Smart phones, smart tv's, smart dishwashers, smart mirrors, it's rediculous.

I'm privy to think that the word "Smart" is just a keyword for Spy.

Just like Benjamin Franklin once said "Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join