It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas man claims he was told to remove American flag over 'threat' toward Muslims

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Battleline

Offended by the flag of a country you are in...that's rich, how insane is that !!

That's what I say! It is insane for anyone living here to be offended by our flag. If they are offended by the flag of the country they live in, they shouldn't be here.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
The apartment I use to rent had a no flags of any type being hung from the balcony.
I asked the apartment manager what this ment.

She said "any type of flag (sports teams, colleges, state, local, country or even just towels)". I laughed at the idea that we could not hang anything on the balconeys.

I asked " is this a safety issue, could the flag fall and injure someone" (of course i asked this just to mess with them).

She replied with a little smile on her face, "no, this is more so we don't have people haning sports flags and getting people who are rivals fighting".

I was stunned at this. I never thought about if from that angle, that some one would be so tied up in a team or sporting event that they would actually hurt someone else who was rooting on a diffrent team. All i could do was laugh and say "okay, i won't hang my RedWings banner or my U of M banner out side."

But yet you are allowed to have a flower box, hanging plants and even satellite dish desperatly hanging on to the railing on the balconey.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
It's just about as insane as people going off against the Muslims when there has been no evidence of any Muslims saying anything.

I must say that this is probably the best comment of the thread in its entirety, including comments to follow even.

There are many members here who are deriding the anonymous "Muslims" in this case, but, as buster pointed out, there is absolutely no proof that anyone involved in the story is in fact Muslim.

So far I have seen the following statements from my fellow ATS membership regarding the 'Muslims' or various other groups:

The only reason that it could be construed as a threat to them is if they're part of a Muslim terrorist cell

If they don't like it, then they can get off American soil.

Just an example of how many Muslim's have infiltrated our infrastructure

If someone is offended by the American flag while living in America as far as I am concerned they should go back to their home country

But this is how it begins.

The Texas man should have asked the apartment manager if he would like a BLT sandwich and maybe a few for the muslim's that the flag had threatened.

I say fly the world Renown Bacon Flag !

Shouldn't the Muslims be learning to respect America and our flags if they are living here?

If they are offended by the flag of the country they live in, they shouldn't be here.

There is only one place to assign blame in this story, and it is the management of the Lodge on El Dorado apartment complex. There is zero proof that anyone but them is at fault here. No 'Muslims.' No 'foreigners.' Just the people running the business.

edit on 21-6-2014 by youdidntseeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

I researched the article further and although I see your point and agree I think more will come out about this.

Why the statement " threat towards the Muslim Community" was used when there were plenty of rules at the apartment complex to make him take it down and apparently no Muslims living there seems a little out of place.
edit on 21-6-2014 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
The UK is particularly sensitive to it's foreign residents.

This UK resident disagrees with you.

Please, don't spread lies about my country.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
So ya I am on the boat of where does it say that a muslim was the one that caused this man to have to, or at least be told to take his flag down?

Seems it is just policy, and if he doesn't like it then he can find a place where he can hang it.
Sad day when our men and women of this country just blindly hate a whole culture of people just because they have been told to and it is the cool and "american" thing to do

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
So what if living next door to muslims makes you feel threatened? Would said muslims be told they were being removed? What if it was a prayer rug on the side walk 5 times a day while they arse up to allah? Would they be removed because they make people feel threatened. If you live in the USA and you are offended or feel threatened by our flag, I would feel safe in saying you might be living in the wrong country.
edit on 21-6-2014 by canthinkerous because: spelling

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

This story is confusing.

Apparently, the property already has flags:

The apartment community already proudly displays our country's flag in a safe and appropriate manner at the entrances to our community.

So the flags are a "threat" but only when displayed by the residents and not by the actual property?

And then theres this paragraph at the end:

We have not heard of any residents complaining about any flags at the complex, or any of the patriotic items we saw. In fact, we spoke to several neighbors who say they want Tran's flag to stay.

Huh?

Maybe the property manager is the one with the problem and the "[insert group name here] are offended" is a convenient scapegoat?

edit on 21-6-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: youdidntseeme
What really bugs me the most about this story, quite frankly, is the manager's assertion that the complex already displays the flag in a "safe", appropriate manner. That one little word really gets me. That changes the whole conversation so at it's not about freedom of speech (it's not, IMO, since his complex rules disallow it and he did sign the contract), or about whether he violated the complex rules, and instead makes it somehow a SAFETY issue. What? How on earth can flag display be either safe or unsafe? To me this incident IS a tiny step onto a slippery slope, but it is the conflation of flag display and safety that makes it that way.

edit on 21-6-2014 by riiver because: Typo...

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
The UK is particularly sensitive to it's foreign residents.

This UK resident disagrees with you.

Please, don't spread lies about my country.

Im a Scotsman living in England and walking down the street i see the English flying their flags proud from poles and bedroom windows, i even see Mr Singh flying it and looking very sad that the boys are coming home.

I see cars with wee St Georges flapping in the wind and Sikh, Hindu and Islamic regalia dangling away on their rear view mirrors at the same time and am feeling a wee bit better that ANY stupid extremism perpetuated hysterically by the media hasnt reached this far into the civilised world, just yet anyways.

So please Nerormore dont YOU be spreading lies about how intolerant we are on these Islands the vast majority of us are quiet accepting

Peace,

Weav.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
If he is violating his lease contract, he has no argument. If he is not, then management can go piss up a rope. It might be a good idea for him to start looking for another apartment. They could refuse to renew his lease after it expires.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Battleline
a reply to: buster2010

I researched the article further and although I see your point and agree I think more will come out about this.

Why the statement " threat towards the Muslim Community" was used when there were plenty of rules at the apartment complex to make him take it down and apparently no Muslims living there seems a little out of place.

There is no proof that the woman from the complex even said that. This guy who had just moved in there a few days earlier could have just made it up. Right now there is no faster way to get public support behind you than to say I was made to do it because of the Muslims. I would look for this guy to be on Hannity next.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
So, he is breaking the rental terms, and is mad about it.

Boo hoo.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: MyHappyDogShiner
The thing I can't quite understand is how anyone would get so bent out of shape over something that amounts to nothing more than a colorful bed sheet.

I mean bent out of shape either way, both the person who felt the need to display his "beliefs", or the one whose "beliefs" were supposedly threatened by the display.

Beliefs?, believe what you want to believe, live and let live....

Shut the *&&%$@# up, both of em!!!....

Boo FKN Hoo.

I demand that you used the correct spelling of the word colourful. I will ask the moderators to remove any post of yours that has incorrect spelling of the English language. If you don't like it, get over it. I mean, it's just a word. boo fkn hoo.

No, I didn't think so...

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Wipe your butt with the American flag..thats all it's good for..

Same with any other flag my country included. If you get bent out of shape over a piece of cloth..get help.

Same thing people told me..when I brought up the Washington redskins mascot. So does this not apply, also the American flag represents attempted assimilation. genocide, and baby killers...to Native Americans, maybe not all but a lot.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: weaverre

What on earth are you on about?

I was correcting a US poster who said we don't fly flags in Britain for fear of offending people.

Please, try and read the whole thread before you comment.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DogMeat
I say fly the world Renown Bacon Flag !

Back to the thread. When you are disallowed to fly the
symbol of the country your men and women have bled,
died and worse for.. your government is malfeasant.
I'm a nobody, and I approved the heck out of this first
frag of the communication.

EDIT:: Removed all levity for the sake of those who paid
for that piece of cloth. Some things are more valuable to
some people than others. They saved my bacon more than
a couple of times, call it a show of respect.

edit on 21-6-2014 by derfreebie because: Value, a subjective thing wot?

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Sounds to me that this is more a case of the apartment management living in fear. Fear based on our own gov's propaganda about "terrorists" and how they view our culture.

As pointed out . . . the manager is just an idiot. A scared idiot.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I have been in the service, combat too...

Being in the service and in combat forced me to think of why I was there at all, and it occurred to me I was fighting and killing and bleeding (yeah, I'm a service connected disabled veteran) and watching my comrades die was really kinda stupid.

I was too young to know better, but I grew up one day and don't need to claim to be airborne anymore to justify something so completely wrong.

I guess the brainwashing didn't stick like it did with you and people like you who claim that anyone who has ever served has to remain an ignorant patriot their entire life.

Flags don't represent anything but property, king of the hill kind of #, bullies on the playground.

Life isn't a stinkin game, but I suppose it has to be to justify acting like killing and destroying stuff is OK sometimes.

It's never ok no matter whose team you are on, once people realize that they just might eliminate war altogether, but there's so goddamned much money to be made waging war........

Wait, not money, Debt (DEATH).

Get over it.

a reply to: 727Sky

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
On the auto spell check "Colourful" comes up as an error.

You must be a brit who speaks and spells proper "English" and not he Americanized version of it.

Whatever Homey Fries....

a reply to: sn0rch

edit on 21-6-2014 by MyHappyDogShiner because: sp

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join