It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do High School Biology Students Still Dissect Frogs?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: JonnyDeath
A good 20 years ago majority of schools had switched to worms due to public outcry but the more advanced biology classes afterward had rats, frogs, pigs etc. but it was optional participation and I believe extra credit in my school. I never went beyond Biology 1 and Earth Science.

Based on how stupid most people are today, and I'm sorry but it's true even my young family members that graduated with flying colors are dumb as a bag of toenails, I doubt they even require them to dissect worms at this point. All of the pissing and moaning about common core being so dreadful is really just a load of parents whining about their kids being proven to be less than average rather than solid A and B students because current standards are now dangerously low.

We went from number 1 in the world in education to something like barely in the top 20?
I don't recall offhand but it's bad.
If kids still dissect frogs should be the least of your concerns.

We did worms as a precursor to doing the frogs. This was closer to 30 years ago. So I guess we were the last generation to do this as a matter of course.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Pig Fetus.. or it might have been a baby pig.

Nope, No frogs.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Yes. My kids are dissecting worms, rats and frogs, so far.
We are in a very small town [ pop 3,000 - 3,500 ] so in spite of Common Core, they still get quite a bit of hands on education.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Yes. My kids are dissecting worms, rats and frogs, so far.
We are in a very small town [ pop 3,000 - 3,500 ] so in spite of Common Core, they still get quite a bit of hands on education.

Live frogs and rats? (Well, recently live.) Or the preserved kind?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream
Pig Fetus.. or it might have been a baby pig.

Nope, No frogs.

They're usually fetal pigs preserved in formaldehyde. I did one of those in school too. For extra credit.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Moresby
Preserved.
2nd line

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I have no idea about now as I'm getting up there in years, but we did dissect frogs, cow eyeballs and I know others, but I forget what now. That would have been Junior High where I grew up and in High School it was things like salamanders and I forget what all in second year biology. I know we had rows of bottles with preserved specimens of all kinds.

Growing up around farms and ranches and knowing the reality of where food comes from, it was not a problem for anyone. Kids were not so emmotionally fragile and unprepared for the real world then. Now they are so detached from reality, I'd guess it would be a problem in the schools now. Depends on their parents I suppose.

It's just part of learning about the world. I personally think its bad that kids are now so squeamish and are not exposed to reality and things like where food comes from. Perhaps they should preface that with taking them fishing and let them clean their own fish as an introduction
Catch their own dinner and learn at the same time.
edit on 6/26/2014 by Blaine91555 because: Early dimentia.

(post by GaryFoley removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join