It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you give money to those standing on corners with signs?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I don't! And I can't stand it when people do it. It doesn't help that person, it makes them NOT want to go to work.
And I can't stand those signs:
"Just want a beer"
"Family homeless"
"Deaf and God Bless"
They even stake out corners so others can't get there first. And the really sad part of it, they probably make more than you do in a day, tax free!

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Plus there are many homeless wannabes who know they can make hundreds of dollars a day sitting there looking pathetic...

I read a book on people who do this in toronto... Apparantly being homeless isn't all that bad, you get free pizzas, juices, anything greasy, soups, salads, free money, free lodging... You just have to know where to go...

I used to give bums money went I went to NYC but I learned it's probably best to give them an orange.... See how thankful they become after you give them an orange, ha!

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Yeah, Toronto has an insane number of panhandlers. I usually give money to the homeless, though. What's a few bucks so someone can eat or get drunk?

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I give monet to no one. I will buy them food. I will help htem if I can, but I will not give them money!

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I give money if they ask shoot in november i was waiting in line for some concert gave this guy 5 dollars I couldent help myself.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
We usually have quite a large influx of homeless here in Tallahassee as well...We only have one homesless shelter, which is downtown, so most of the time you'll see them walking around the suburbs, near gas stations, or standing by the interstate or busy intersections...

I've never stopped to give them money or food....If I were to give them anything, it would be food though, b/c I know exactly where the money is going to go...I've even been asked so many times coming out of a gas station with a six pack if they could just have one beer, that they don't even ask me anymore - we just wave at eachother, and they seem to be fine with that...

But we recently had a man stabbed to death by a transient not too far from my home, so I keep a close eye on them...I've even had to call 911 when I saw one bum suddenly fall to the ground and his friend rushed to his side....I was a little too worried about any diseases the guy may have had, but I swung back by a few minutes later and an ambluence was there....

At any rate...long answer...But just be careful with your interactions with them....I've had similar experences in DC, London, Florence and other larger cities....I was surprised that even here in little old Tallahassee we have the same kinds of problems with the homeless....

[edit on 12/6/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I always give money to some homeless people, whenever I go to our customers in Montreal (wich is usually once a week). There's no homeless in my little town

I don't care what they do with the money, I even think it's funny when they straightly tells u "Hey man, help me buy some drug or alcohol." I'm far from being rich, but I have the chance of having a home, a familly and a job. Most people are lucky but don't even know it. I won't change a thing in my life if I give one bucks a week to some homeless, but it can help make their day less miserable.

I know some people are just living out of this, by choice not by lack of other options... Sure I despise thoses peoples, but some others don't have much more choices.

To those who says "They should get a job!" Seriously, who would hire them? I have experiences, papers and I know I'll have trouble finding another job. So when you just came from the streets... good luck.

[edit on 6-12-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I may give some can goods to the township drive once a year, but I will never give anyone cash.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I have been known to give money to the homeless. If they want to buy drink with it to help them get through another crappy day then thats fine.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tuatara
I don't! And I can't stand it when people do it. It doesn't help that person, it makes them NOT want to go to work.
And I can't stand those signs:
"Just want a beer"
"Family homeless"
"Deaf and God Bless"
They even stake out corners so others can't get there first. And the really sad part of it, they probably make more than you do in a day, tax free!

It's a good idea not to comment on something that you are ignorant of.

I was homeless when I was 15. While I did meet those that were too lazy to get a job and lived off of welfare, even having extra kids to get more welfare, there is another side to the homeless story than what the more privaleged people of this country assume.

There are those that are homeless because life has beaten them down and have either driven them a little mad, made them unable to cope any longer, or they just plain gave up on life. Many of these same people were college graduates.

Life isn't about how much work you put into it, it's not that simple, and anyone who says otherwise has no idea how harsh the real world can be. There have been many that have put years and years into a degree, years and years into a job and are screwed over at every turn and many times, these people eventually lose everything, including hope.

So I ask you, unless you have experienced the situation of what it's like to be homeless and all the circumstances involved, it's best not to comment...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I hadn't used to give money to homeless people because I was under the impression that they would just use it to buy alcohol and drugs. Then I met someone who used to be homeless. She told me that her life was so sh1tty that yes, she used to buy drink (no drugs) purely to help her get through the day. She also used to buy food and books. Yes, she bought books !
The books gave her hope and eventually she worked things out and is now happily married with a nice house. But she never forgot her time as one of the homeless, and always gives if she is able.
And now, so do I. If people need help to cope with their lives, who am I to judge them or deny them ?

[edit on 7-12-2004 by Ravenna]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Its nice to see the more resonable and compassionate among us are not in the minority. God help those minority should they find themselves in the same boat. Personal Experience is the best teacher, and only learning vanquishes ignorance!

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I live in a country where the average wage is $1 a day and I have difficulty giving money to beggars.

Some, no problem. But the one's who stake out the areas the expat community frequents, no way.

In this country white skin means rich, whether you are a volunteer or working for the UN you're seen as rich. Corruption here is rampant and killing the economy but they don't ask the locals who step out of the Lexus or Humvee for money, just the foreigners on cheap motorcycles.

Some days it really gets right up my nose. Other days I remember where I come from. But there are still places that I will not give beggars money.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Just incidently did some of this thread dissappear or is there another just like it? *confused*

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Or haven't had times when it was scrapping up change to get a cup of coffee! Or haven't donated and handed out blankets/socks/stuff...

I just can't stand to see the same people standing on the same corner day after friggin day. And seeing people giving them money and indirectly keeping them from being productive; standing on a corner and 'asking' for handouts is not really being productive. Not to mention on a hot day it can be brutal.

And as far as who would hire them, I also know how hard it can be to get a job... having an education and having served in the military. But it just gets under my skin to see them out there day after day, getting paid to do nothing productive.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I think it is our duty to give to the poor. I mean we waste so much of our money on excess things in our lives. And yes they may spend it on bad things such as drugs or booze. But that is not what matters.

We need to do what we feel is right. If you feel led to give money then you should. If they do wrong with the money then they will be judged accordingly. It is our duty to try.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I usually just take a trip to the nearest fast food place and get them a meal, some time I'm in a rush so I'll just drop a dollar or two for them. I don't really care if they are bums or whatever. It makes me feel good about helping others anyway. They would get their punishment someday if they were just lying about it or acting their pathetic sight.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I do sometimes.

Heck, if they want to buy booze, and that's how they get their peace, then it's fine by me. They also have a right to some happiness.

They also have a right to be lazy and stupid.

Who are we to judge them.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I was at the bus station waiting to go back to my city when two boys came walking in...

The one was a bad influence over the other, they were living at the salvation army... As I kept talking to them both I decided I wanted to take one home with me...

I bought him a bus ticket and I told him he could stay with me until he got on his feet..

I brought him back to my apartment, he stayed for a whole 30 mins then he took off... never saw him again..

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I always give money to the hmeless, and If I can I give a lot. The joy on a genuine homeless persons face when you give him a �5 note is great. I don't care if some of the ones I give to are fake, at least I know that at least some of the homeless are thinking "At least someone cares about me".

I also but the big issue and donate to every charity I see while shopping. If theres one thing I can't stand it's a snobby idiot walking past a collection box and putting their noses in the air as if to say "Yeuch, they're trying to take my precious money the dirty scum, pretend they don't exist dahhhrling".

Grr

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join