It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop shoots unarmed great-grandfather at family picnic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Two police officers crashed a family cookout to harass a man who was not wanted or suspected of any crimes, then shot the man’s elderly father and allegedly planted a gun on him

Mr. Cox shot Mr. Monroe seven times in the chest, side and back. Several witnesses said they saw a police officer later place the pistol next to Mr. Monroe’s body

witnesses maintained that he simply stood up from his folding chair and approached the house

The witnesses said the second officer [Joseph Henry] picked up a handgun that [Bernard] Monroe, an avid hunter, always kept in plain sight on the porch for protection. Using a latex glove, the officer grasped the gun by its handle, the witnesses said, and ordered everyone to back away. The next thing they said they saw was the gun next to Monroe’s body.

...according to Homer Police Chief Russell Mills... ..."“If I see three or four young black men walking down the street, I have to stop them and check their names,” said Chief Mills to the LA Times. “I want them to be afraid..."

Wow. I know there's alot of police wrongdoing, but this is pretty blatant.
Apparently this local police department has been encouraging the officers to specifically target and harass blacks. What happened here is that two officers showed up at a family picnic to harass an innocent man, entered the property and home without warrant, and then shot an unarmed man to death on his own property before placing a gun at the scene to cover up their crime.

The evidence was presented before a grand jury, but they declined to indict Officer Tim Cox on criminal charges for the shooting.

What's even worse is that the police chief came out and openly said he targets blacks and wants them to be afraid of the police.
This is EXACTLY why the constitution of the United States allows us to own guns. What these officers did was not police work, nor was it in any way legal. What they did was an outright racially-motivated hate crime and murder. Those men on that day were not police; they were racist criminals, and they should have been treated as such.

Source
For more, Google "Cop shoots unarmed great-grandfather at family picnic, faces no consequences"
edit on 6/20/2014 by trollz because: forgot source

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

How the hell is he still the chief after a comment like that??
Not only raciest but illegal, can't just stop people for kicks and ask them for their info!
But it is just the cool thing to hate cops, they really don't do shady stuff

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
can't just stop people for kicks and ask them for their info!

They CAN and DO. They do it all the time. But that's what we have rights for.

But it is just the cool thing to hate cops, they really don't do shady stuff

Except for when they do.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
What about the crime of planting evidence. OK with the grand jury.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Back in the olden days, (80s?) I went to an auction at a gun store that catered to local police. The next day I went back to check on what was still for sale that hadn't been payed for after the auction (little trick I employed to get goodies back then).

Among all the goodies I bought I snagged a book entitled, For Your Eyes Only; a "not for resale" book for police that explained many un declared policies. It was written by cops for cops. In there it stated that (at that time) and up until that time there had only been three cops arrested, tried, convicted and sentenced for murder in all of US Copdom. I s*** you not…

It further declared go ahead and shoot, go home and sleep in bed tonight. The system will have your back. I remember being stunned by that but also aware there were a lot less cop shootings back then so it didn't really bother me too much.

Now the times have changed and this bit of policy is policy it seems.

No I don't still have the book. I sold it at a gun show a long time ago.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Ya article reads that they had 12 people that saw him do it...Seems kinda hard to say it didn't happen at that point.
But i guess 2 cops outweigh what 12 regular citizens have to say

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Yeah, but lots of cops didn't murder any innocent people today, or frame anyone today, or even butcher any family pets today. A lot of them won't do any of these things throughout their entire career. (Sure, some of the latter might look the other way when one of the fellow officers does those things, but hey, that's just being part of the gang, it doesn't make them less worthy of our respect and applause).

So, out of respect for all the officers that didn't murder anyone today, or frame anyone today, or butcher any family pets today, I think we should really avoid talking about this "bad apple(s ?)" that murdered and framed the old man. It might hurt the other officers feelings and they might feel unappreciated . . . maybe even picked on . . . which is WAY more important than some innocent man being murdered or framed.

[sarcasm - off]

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I think the 1950's need their cops back! Especially that Chief, if the quote is accurate. WoW

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80
What kind of people are on the grand jury? Hand picked good old boys. This is very sad.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: trollzI know all cops are not bad but reading stories like this just makes my stomach churn.

Sickening!

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

What disturbs me MORE than the actions of the fascist police officers is the compliance of the family members whom allowed this to happen without a serious action against the murder of their loved one!!!!

Is this what we have become? Sorry, but I WOULD NOT stand by without retaliating against this kind of abuse from our so called "law enforcement"!

Just my two cents.......

edit on 20-6-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

But if you stand up against it you go to jail for obstruction of justice. And then get mad and "resist" and then things go even worse.
Going to the courts should be how these men get taken off the streets but sadly the court system has shown us time and time again that it won't happen

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

But if you stand up against it you go to jail for obstruction of justice. And then get mad and "resist" and then things go even worse.
Going to the courts should be how these men get taken off the streets but sadly the court system has shown us time and time again that it won't happen

All the more reason to stand up and let them know their "criminal brutality" will no longer be tolerated no?
edit on 20-6-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I guess it does, but it seems that option only has you 6 feet under. And they are protected.
We have to go after the courts first imo. Those are what allow the cops to operate the way they do.
Well actually we need to get the majority of people to understand what all this will lead to before anything happens.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I worked with the police when I was in the National Guard, before I went into active duty Army and they/we never acted in such a way.. I am appalled and saddened as to how procedures and mentalities happen and change in the course of only 10 years or so.

How are the changes from then and now so drastic in such a short time period.? Things much less minor than this were never tolerated then. I say then as as if it were long ago. it wasn't.. The values and morals of short yesterday are gone. My whole point being is that the police had a totally different mentality then. Much less extreme.

Firepiston

edit on 20-6-2014 by FirePiston because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   

This is absolutely ghastly.

What I cannot understand, is why this never resulted in the officers arrest. The fact is, when someone is shot dead by police, a procedure should be enacted which involves a rigorous forensic examination of the scene. Blood spatter evidence would have cleared the elderly decedent of any wrong doing, and proved that this was a bad shoot at the very least.

You see, when a person is holding something in their hand, and they are shot, tiny droplets of blood would burst from the gunshot wounds, and spray onto things in the immediate vicinity, including things they had in their hands. It's a messy business.

Therefore, if the gun the dead man was alleged to have had in his hand, was clean of these tiny droplets, it would suggest that he was not carrying the weapon at the time of his death, and that in turn would mean that the police officer would be justly investigated for murder, since that is the definition of shooting an unarmed man.

The only way that this incident can possibly be in question, is if no acceptable forensic examination of the scene, was enacted, and that is frankly unacceptable. It's true, that forensics is not a magic wand of truth, to be passed over a scenario in order to illuminate every nuance of a criminal act, but it can sure as hell tell you if a person was, or was not armed when they were shot seven times in the torso!

So there are, believe it or not, bigger problems here than just the fact that a policeman took it into his head to bullet drill a frail old man for no reason. The fact is that this incident was never properly investigated, since a proper investigation would have revealed the truth of this matter in pretty short order, and if things went down as per the statements made by witnesses, then there is no way that a proper, and impartial investigation would have resulted in any thing other than the policeman being charged with a homicide.

Again, absolutely ghastly business. My thoughts and prayers are with the deceased mans family, especially the many children who were at the event, his wife, and his offspring.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Mr. Cox shot Mr. Monroe seven times in the chest, side and back.

What is this firing frenzy where people are getting shot 7 to 15 times and also in the back. I'm sure we will argue the man was turning as he fell but he's going down. Reissue revolvers to these clowns, it might make them think at each trigger pull.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

“[Officers] Henry and Cox entered the [Monroe] property, without permission or cause, and began chasing Shaun Monroe,” a subsequent lawsuit alleged. The cops then entered the house.

“Each of these actions was without legal justification,” the lawsuit stated.

Rewriting the laws on the fly and the grand jury agrees.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I live near this community and know of the incident. In my opinion it was an accident that took an honorable mans life. The officer who fired that shot has never returned to duty, but the chief remains who is elected by the town. If they want him off the job the next election is the time for that. This event has stirred up a lot of bad blood in this small town. I feel real sorry for the Monroe family having to see their father pass like that. But at the same time it does not justify a towns residents to be mad at the world. If you think I'm kidding take a road trip there some time. Oh yeah by the way the same mayor that tried to disband the police dept has stolen money and awaiting charges. Their schools are mess. The golden tors are chomping at the bit for loss of football. Go NWHS KNIGHTS. What I'm getting at is this a lot bigger of a mess than it seems.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Off the job...the police force was disbanded. Did he quit right after the incident?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join