It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your opinions differ from mine, so you are stupid!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

You don't like the fact that I see hatred towards Muslims in your posts concerning them? I highly doubt I'm the only one who sees it. I don't think I falsely assumed anything.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

You don't like the fact that I see hatred towards Muslims in your posts concerning them? I highly doubt I'm the only one who sees it. I don't think I falsely assumed anything.

Okay so if I say something nasty about a terrorist organization that uses Islam as an excuse to kill and harm others that makes me a hater of Islam???

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

My point is (and was pretty clear), that calling any types of people any insult is the same as calling anyone stupid because you disagree with them.

Look who's talking !!!

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

For one thing, I'm not the one crying about it. For another, I do get personal with other posters... especially people that condemn me for my beliefs. Now I'm certainly not perfect (thus would never make a thread like this) but you'd be hard pressed to find a post of mine even at my most angry in which I insult a whole type of people (Ideology, race, gender, sexual preference, religion). Go ahead and look.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Nope. Assuming that all Muslims support such does.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Nvm
edit on 25-6-2014 by thesaneone because: Not worth my energy

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

Don’t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I'm away to argue with someone who believes the earth is flat.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

That isn't calling them stupid, though, is it? And, as I stated, I haven't seen that from him. I don't see every post, of course, which is why I asked for examples. Seems out of character for beezzer, however.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I'm not even sure what you're talking about here.

THAT is the quote to which he responded; showing that you were claiming "Progressive" was the same as "stupid", so you pretend he said that was the case?

If you are saying I was intentionally trying to make him look like he was saying Progressive = stupid or ever has... no, that's not was I doing.

My point is (and was pretty clear), that calling any types of people any insult is the same as calling anyone stupid because you disagree with them.

Well, that's how it looked. Stating that someone is a member of a group isn't an insult, when the same people will call themselves that. Stating that members of said group do this or that, or believe this or that, when the evidence shows it to be true, also isn't an insult. Even saying something is typical of said group isn't an insult. Calling someone "stupid" is, however.

His point is that many on this site call people "stupid" simply because they have a different opinion. He's saying that using other words would be better Addressing the issue, or the group, or whatever, instead of making claims about the intelligence of the poster.

If you don't think the behavior he states happens, check one of my recent threads.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: xDeadcowx

Well, there you disagree with the OP. You have every right to disagree , of course, but others have every right to consider your attitude in this matter to be rude.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Stating that someone is a member of a group isn't an insult, when the same people will call themselves that.

That's not what I said. I said that calling an entire type of persons evil etc... is just as bad as calling someone(s) stupid because you disagree with them.

Even saying something is typical of said group isn't an insult.

Depending on what the something said is... it absolutely can be an insult. For example, if I were to assume all Conservatives/Right-wing Libertarians were hypocrites just because Beezer made a thread that I perceive as hypocritical, my response to your original reply to me may have been:

"Of course you don't see it, you're a Conservative and that's just how Conservatives are."

Another example, I know from previous posts/threads of your that you are strongly pro-life, so if I respond to a post of yours on that topic like this:

"Typical Conservative, claiming to be about individuality and small government while wanting government to stick it's nose into the private medical issues of women everywhere."

I did several things in that one blanket insult. I've called all Conservatives hypocrites, I've misstated your position because you aren't being a Conservative there you're being pro-life and I've wrongly implied all Conservatives are pro-life when that's not true.

His point is that many on this site call people "stupid" simply because they have a different opinion.

I know what his point is. Mine is that he's being a hypocrite because he does the same just with different insults.

If you don't think the behavior he states happens, check one of my recent threads.

I know it happens, I never said anyone was wrong about that.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   

It would be hypocritical if I said, "If you don't agree with me, then you are evil."

But I never said that.

If you embrace an ideology that I perceive as evil, then don't I have the freedom to say so?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

It's the same concept isn't it? Insulting someone(s) because you disagree with them.

Of course you have the freedom to say so, stating that it's hypocritical to do so doesn't restrict your ability to say whatever you want.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Stating that someone is a member of a group isn't an insult, when the same people will call themselves that.

That's not what I said. I said that calling an entire type of persons evil etc... is just as bad as calling someone(s) stupid because you disagree with them.[/quote]

Alright, I see that point. Some groups, though, if they are truly evil, is it wrong to say so? How about Nazis? Can we say they are evil as a group? Some are so obviously bad, it seems dishonest not to say. Where do we draw the line?

Even saying something is typical of said group isn't an insult.

Depending on what the something said is... it absolutely can be an insult. For example, if I were to assume all Conservatives/Right-wing Libertarians were hypocrites just because Beezer made a thread that I perceive as hypocritical, my response to your original reply to me may have been:

Well, I can see that. There, it's a matter of degree, and of what, exactly, is said. We'd have to know the individual details, in those instances. Some things could be accurate, while some could be as the example you give.

"Of course you don't see it, you're a Conservative and that's just how Conservatives are."

Another example, I know from previous posts/threads of your that you are strongly pro-life, so if I respond to a post of yours on that topic like this:

"Typical Conservative, claiming to be about individuality and small government while wanting government to stick it's nose into the private medical issues of women everywhere."

I did several things in that one blanket insult. I've called all Conservatives hypocrites, I've misstated your position because you aren't being a Conservative there you're being pro-life and I've wrongly implied all Conservatives are pro-life when that's not true.

I have seen that sort of comment, though, from other posters. I don't recall that from you, offhand. I see that as
being just as bad as calling someone "stupid" for their position, so there we agree.

His point is that many on this site call people "stupid" simply because they have a different opinion.

I know what his point is. Mine is that he's being a hypocrite because he does the same just with different insults.

Posting actual examples would be good, for that. I would do so, in your position. I have done so in discussions on other sites. Not so much here.

I know it happens, I never said anyone was wrong about that.

True; you didn't state that.

However, calling an ideology "evil", or whatever, if you truly believe it is, isn't the same as calling the person "stupid". It's a fine line in some cases, though, and we have to be careful. I suspect we all do things now and then that we don't like to see done, being the fallible creatures we all are.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   

It's the same concept isn't it? Insulting someone(s) because you disagree with them.

Of course you have the freedom to say so, stating that it's hypocritical to do so doesn't restrict your ability to say whatever you want.

So I am not allowed to be critical of your (or any) ideology, yet it is okay to call someone stupid for not believing the way you do?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

IMO they are the same and both icky. You're free to insult anything you want and I'm free to point out hypocrisy if I choose to.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

IMO they are the same and both icky. You're free to insult anything you want and I'm free to point out hypocrisy if I choose to.

But you calling me hypocritical is also insulting.

So it is wrong of me to call an ideology evil.
It is not okay to call someone stupid for not believing the same as you.

Because name-calling is wrong.

But you can call me hypocritical for saying that calling people who don't believe in what you believe in (stupid) is wrong, yet calling out an ideology as evil is the same thing?

I honestly believe that if I started a thread claiming the sky is blue and the grass is green, you'd disagree.

lolz

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Sure.
/eyeroll

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join