It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18 year old gets a year in prison for "baconizing" mosque

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
The kid should get a medal.

yeah! And then we can give medals to anyone who trips an old lady walking down the street. That is so entertaining and funny! And whoever urinates in the communion cup at church.. man, put that on youtube! While we are at it we can throw shellfish at people wearing yamakas! Make it a family event.

Or..
Maybe what the world needs is that we respect each other and hold everyone accountable who doesn't. So muslims disrespecting christians is a big no-no. Disrespecting muslims who haven't done anything wrong or violent is a big no-no as well. Stereotypes and generalization are keeping mankind' from finding any real solutions. Just more generalized hate that gets passed around like a soccer ball, everyone excited to kick it down the line.
edit on 20-6-2014 by AudioOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: NonsensicalUserName
a reply to: LABTECH767

because christains are the majority. and therefore... (tl;dr)

The Muslims move into an old establish culture and then play the game changer and victim in it all.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
After reading the story, all I can think of is how ignorant and mean their act was (and then laughing about it).

It was rather rash(er) of them, really, and I have no sympathy.

Anyways, she'll be out in a few months... a slap on the wrist for what could have caused a riot in the streets.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Mean is murdering or raping and beheading. A little counseling. Seriously I renounce and denounce this hellzone and will be on the real judgement panels, only thank God we're the cosmic counselors who will be finding ways to teach people how to reach higher levels not lower ones.

Can't stand this nightmare. Heal the children. Save the children. Feed the children. Help them live in abundance and beauty everyone on earth. Fire all fascists and replace all judges. Make sure you can fire anyone hired in a management position, easily and rapidly. Assure no one is living below the poverty line. And that all people that choose your hotel, like it. Or they can go back home.
edit on 20-6-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I've learned something for sure...graffiti and low-level criminal damage will get you jail time in Scotland if it goes against religious faith.
Glad I live in England lol

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I don't know about Scotland, but here's a recent story from the US:

A Gurnee woman who told police she is "angry with religion" has been arrested and charged with vandalizing 21 houses of worship in Lake County during a six-day spree, authorities said Friday.

Meghan Heinze, 22, of the 100 block of Wellington Court, was charged in Lake County bond court with 10 counts of criminal defacement of a place of worship, 10 counts of institutional vandalism, and two counts of criminal damage to a place of worship, prosecutors said.

If found guilty of the most serious charge, Heinze could be sentenced up to seven years in prison, Lake County State's Attorney Mike Nerheim said after Heinze's bond hearing.

"We will be reviewing all the charges and may add additional charges, depending on what the evidence shows," Nerheim said.

Heinze was ordered held on $500,000 bail by Judge Raymond Collins, of which 10 percent is required for her to be released.

source

Half a million dollar bail for spree of church vandalism.

EDIT:

Update she's currently out on bail after a few reductions and the actual number of churches vandalized was 12. She's apparently seeking a plea deal.

edit on 2014-6-20 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
I don't know about the UK

This thread has nothing to do with the UK, aside from the fact that Scotland is a constituent part of it.
Scotland has it's own distinct and internationally recoginsed legal system, so the rest of the UK, England, Wales, and Northern Ireland have nothing to do with the legal decision.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
It’s a hate crime. The law is aimed at discouraging hatred towards minorities.

If they let that go the next crime may be burning down the mosque or worst.

How can you people judge when you have no understanding of how Muslims feel about having what they consider sacred desecrated.

How would you feel if an American citizen’s house was littered with burnt American flags if they were a minority in a foreign country?

Or a church was littered with broken crosses.

What do you people hold sacred, anything?

If you do hold sacred anything then you may be able to understand this.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

It seems a deeper description is hidden behind the pay wall. How much damage did she actually do? The bacon could be picked up and washed off. Physical damaged is a bit harder to remedy.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph
Has the UK gone mad?

yes. it's in the late stages of dementia.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
It’s a hate crime. The law is aimed at discouraging hatred towards minorities.

If they let that go the next crime may be burning down the mosque or worst.

How can you people judge when you have no understanding of how Muslims feel about having what they consider sacred desecrated.

How would you feel if an American citizen’s house was littered with burnt American flags if they were a minority in a foreign country?

Or a church was littered with broken crosses.

What do you people hold sacred, anything?

If you do hold sacred anything then you may be able to understand this.

Either all are treated equally before the law and justice is blind, or there is no rule of law and some animals are more equal than others.

Which world do you want to live in?

Trying to enforce social justice which is what you describe in the first line with the intent behind hate crime laws always backfires because it always advantages some more than you intended and disadvantages others more than you intended and leaves no one equal in the end.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This is one of those occasions where I understand the feeling from both sides.

Since this could have caused riots or violence in retaliation and it is most certainly an expression of hatred and intolerance, I find it hard to sympathize with the idiots who did this.

On the other hand it does seem a year is extreme and perhaps overkill.

Since we don't know all the details, I'd give the court the benefit of the doubt. It could well be that the people who did this were unapologetic and deserved the sentence for more than one reason. In a perfect world and dealing with rational people, the answer would have been a genuine apology and a handshake.

One of my concerns is that with something like this, simply jailing someone is worthless unless they can change their attitude. Counseling may have been a better solution. Where irrational hatred of all members of a religion is involved it is likely nothing would change their mind anyway though.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Seriously I renounce and denounce this hellzone and will be on the real judgement panels, only thank God we're the cosmic counselors

If that's true then I need a transfer, STAT!

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation
a reply to: captaintyinknots

So, in your mind, my breaking your car window should be treated the same as, say, painting the n-word all over a black person's car?

That's not exactly apples to apples.

Should someone receive a harsher sentence for egging a vegan's house compared to a carnivore's house?
if done out of spite for the fact that they are vegan, yes. But thats not exactly an even parallel, as most vegans dont believe they will be punished for touching egg.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

originally posted by: Restricted
The kid should get a medal.
Yes, intolerance and bigotry is something to be celebrated.

The people on this site never fail to remind me what kind of scum still resides in this world...

Oh wow like Muslims have some really great moral high ground in that department. Have you noticed what the Shiites and Sunnis are doing to each other in Iraq?

Ahhh, yes, the old "there are some bad muslims so it excuses hate of muslims" argument.

Never gets old, or tired.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz

What because they want to be civilized?

Have a society where people respect what others hold dear, and not tearing each other apart?

If they punish a Muslim for desecrating a Christian church will you then still feel this way?

I wonder who is really demented here?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Anyways, she'll be out in a few months... a slap on the wrist for what could have caused a riot in the streets.

Isnt the bigger issue here the fact that it could even cause a riot in the streets?

People burn down churches, spray paint them and do all manner of things and the churches dont riot in the streets.......

If you have to walk on eggshells and not say and do certain things to keep people from getting KILLED, that normally with any other group would be irritating but not detrimental..........dont you think THAT is the bigger issue here?

how come no one seems to question THAT conundrum? Why is it always blamed on "insensetive people" instead of calling a spade a spade and laying the blame squarely on the fact that we shouldnt HAVE to worry or put up with violent reactions from a certain religious group when someone does something stupid?

unbelievable

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

if done out of spite for the fact that they are vegan, yes.
I'll never understand that.

But thats not exactly an even parallel, as most vegans dont believe they will be punished for touching egg.
You're right it's not but at least the crime is the same in my example.

Help me understand why it's worse to kill someone because you 'hate' them than if they were say, in your way during a home robbery.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

I'll never understand that.
And thats fine, but Ill say it again: hate crime laws exist to quell greater violence. History has proven taht if you are not harsher on hate-driven crimes, societal violence follows.

Understand it or not.

You're right it's not but at least the crime is the same in my example. Help me understand why it's worse to kill someone because you 'hate' them than if they were say, in your way during a home robbery.
We are not talking about killing anyone here. We are talking about hate driven property crime.

Its no different than when black people used to get burning crosses on their front lawn. Perhaps those should have been treated like any other vandalism? Im SURE that would have stopped it....

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Soloprotocol
Indeed.
I am glad that growing up in Wales I was not subjected to the childlike religious sectarianism which is quite easily found in Scotland.
I can see how religious intolerance worries continue to exist in that part of the UK and why the independent legal system of Scotland may react accordingly to the local religious intolerance issues they may face..

100+ years too late maybe, but we need to change and move forward if we want the world to take our country seriously. it's a start and a few other countries need to follow us.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join