It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talking about feelings or about material stuff?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
In our daily life for sure we very often wonder, why on the question "What's up?", "What's going on", "How are you doing? or "Why are you sad/happy?" we answer actually talking to people about our success in private or work life, but not actually about our feelings.

Me, for example I am worried about what's going on in this world, about some existential stuff or I am happy that someone who I would not expect started to talk to me, someone thought that I am his/her family member (because of similarity) or somebody made funny face and his/he dimples are pretty sweet.

It's hard to be honest about feelings, it's much easier to answer question like "What's going on in your life?":
"Oh, you know I work here and there, I try to survive s a single or as a father or mother...and so on."

Are you open in your daily life about feelings and do you like talking about them with others or you think it's not people's business, what you are feeling?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

edit on 6/20/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Make yourself a nice ice cream Sunday. Then talk about things that don't matter like everyone does.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AnnieWolf19

There are people with whom I share my feelings, but I feel that over familiar responses to inane questions can make people uncomfortable, and I say this from experience. So I share my innermost thoughts with very few people.

I do not consider the comments I make on serious threads here, an emotional statement, but a statement of opinion. That said, there are some places on the boards where my emotions come to the surface, but those tend to be in threads where they are central to the subject matter, or indeed in some of my poetry threads.

But in general life, if a random person I know from my street comes up to me and asks how I am, I will generally respond with something pretty basic, as opposed to anything complicated, like the inner workings of my psyche. That said, sometimes people come up to me and ask inane questions like "did you REALLY just light your cigarette with a magnifying lens?". There are few responses to that which can be considered over emotional.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AnnieWolf19

I don't share my personal thoughts with people that I don't know well. And even if I do know a person well, I might not necessarily get down to the nitty gritty with them. People who ask "How's it going" are generally just being polite and expect nothing other than "Great, how about you?"

I also think that not every person we encounter is worthy of our innermost thoughts.

top topics

join