It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Screw Sunni Vs Shia... What about our Pro-Western Kurdish buddies?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=18056525]By the way Turkey just came out and said they would support an independent Kurdistan in Iraq which is a huge change of policy resulting from the oil they are getting from Kurdistan now.

EDIT: This is the Kurdish news service I read:

rudaw.net...

Good lord... they are in favor of Kurdistan now... absolutely lets get these guys and gals armed.. I mean for crying out loud they fought Hussein's armor to a standstill with balls of steel rifles and ingenuity..

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
why dont they replace Malki with a Christian President?
neither Sunni or Shiiite,,?,,and Iraq did have Christian Community at one time,,,maybe its time for the Christians to make there voices heard as well.

Wounder if White House would go for it?
Guess it would be up too Valery Jerrit.
edit on 6/20/2014 by BobAthome because: not enough iiii

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Where was this war when Saddam was in charge?

Saddam filed most positions of power with Sunni's & th Baath party was seen as Sunni - the Shi'a dominance now is at least partly a response to that - so it was happening back then too.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I spent time in Kirkuk, Erbil, and Sulaimaniya back in '03, and local Kurds there loved us American even thought at that time we had abandoned them once already. 11 years later we have abandoned them a second time...I don't know how they feel about us now, but I do know one thing, people of the Middle East have long memories.

The mistake we in the West have made, is thinking that we can arbitrarily re-draw borders. The problems in many parts of the world is the Western doctrine of Colonialism: we ignore ethnic boundaries in favor of borders that meet our interests, not the interests the indigenous populations. Why else are the mineral-rich nations of Africa and the Middle-East mired in poverty and unrest? 600 years of systematic pillaging...

There is no advantage to holding together the farce of a country that is Iraq.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
In answer to your question: because TPTB don't want a solution to this problem. They want to milk it for all it is worth.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: LightningStrikesHere

The YPG have been involved in fighting with both the rebels and the regime in Syria. The Kurds are fighting for the Kurds, any perception that there's any real allegiance there is false, the Kurds themselves would be very keen to tell you that. They have longstanding bad blood with the Assad regime, but they both have enemies in common.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I agree, the Kurds seem to be the only group in Iraq that are capable of acting like adults. They are tolerant of other religions, and they respect women as human beings and not as personal property.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Monger
a reply to: LightningStrikesHere

The YPG have been involved in fighting with both the rebels and the regime in Syria. The Kurds are fighting for the Kurds, any perception that there's any real allegiance there is false, the Kurds themselves would be very keen to tell you that. They have longstanding bad blood with the Assad regime, but they both have enemies in common.

Yeah I think maybe it was getting the two confused. .

Thanks for the info

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Kurds have no friends but mountains .

- Kurdish Proverb -

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join