It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'The Most Persecuted People In The World' - UN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I wanted to bring this to the ATS community...
The U.N considers the Rohyngia one of the most persecuted people in the world. And who is responsible for the abuse ?
Buddhist monks. Yes Buddhists, not always so peaceful like the etiquette they usually receive...

Confined to squalid camps, supposedly for their own "protection," Burma's persecuted Rohingya are slowly succumbing to starvation, despair and disease. Some are calling it a crime against humanity

The Rohingya people have been described as “among the world’s least wanted”[75] and “one of the world’s most persecuted minorities.”[76] They have been denied Burmese citizenship since a 1982 citizenship law was enacted.[77] They are not allowed to travel without official permission, are banned from owning land and are required to sign a commitment not to have more than two children.[77]

According to Amnesty International, the Muslim Rohingya people have continued to suffer from human rights violations under the Burmese junta since 1978, and many have fled to neighbouring Bangladesh as a result

TIME
Wiki

Sad world.
edit on 20-6-2014 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I'm bumping this because I think it's an important subject.

Just like I thought, it seems almost nobody on ATS cares about
the fact the UN says there's a group somewhere receiving extreme abuse.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I thought the Burmese government were secular not Buddhists, not saying that Buddhists are not corrupt like the rest of humanity but I think you are wrong
Though I am not sure

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
You of course never heard of the people of Diego Garcia. Owned by Britain and with the collusion of the US moved the complete population off the islands to ghettoes in other countries. The reason? SO the American military can have exclusive use as a mid- Indian ocean air field.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
You of course never heard of the people of Diego Garcia. Owned by Britain and with the collusion of the US moved the complete population off the islands to ghettoes in other countries. The reason? SO the American military can have exclusive use as a mid- Indian ocean air field.

Yep!

And let us not forget the Palestinians, as I believe they are the most persecuted in the world.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I can't verify the claim made in your title.

Do you have a link to an official UN list or document that verifies they are "the MOST persecuted?"

All I can find is a lot of propaganda articles stating it as fact without any actual proof or primary source citations.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It seems I am not the first to question this bold claim.

Origin of ‘most persecuted minority’ statement unclear By Tim MclaughLin | Monday, 08 July 2013

One phrase in particular that has been pervasive in media reports on the Rohingya, who are usually referred to as Bengalis in Myanmar, states that they are “described by the UN as among the most persecuted minority groups in the world”. While few would argue that conditions for Muslims in Rakhine State are extremely dire, it is unclear whether the UN has ever made this statement.

The point was raised in a recent statement by Network Myanmar, a non-profit group based in the United Kingdom.

The UN spokesman in Yangon, U Aye Win, said that he had been asked about the statement by colleagues and “to my knowledge, none of the papers that I came across has used this expression”. He said he had not looked into it because until now “no one has raised anything about the use of this expression”.

A review of the “Collected reports to the UN General Assembly by the Special Rapporteurs on the situation of human rights in Myanmar”, compiled by the Online Burma/Myanmar Library and last updated in February 2009, found that the comprehensive collection made no mention of the Rohingya as one of the world’s most persecuted minorities.

The phrase, nonetheless, has become a popular one among media outlets reporting on the humanitarian crisis in Rakhine State.

www.mmtimes.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
So, for what reason are they persecuted? Is it just for religious differences? Is it because they refuse to assimilate into the rest of the country's society in some way and remain cultural outcasts like the Roma do in Europe?

I'm not sure that the video you posted is entirely reliable, especially since they go out of their way to dig at how this is "like Republicans" which sort of blows any claims of unbiased reporting out of the water. There is an agenda here. So what is it?

And what would be the solution?
edit on 20-6-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje

originally posted by: crayzeed

Yep!

And let us not forget the Palestinians, as I believe they are the most persecuted in the world.

I agree, the people of Diego Garcia, the Palestinians, the Chechens , the Tibetans are all receiving serious abuse.
But according to the UN, the Rohyngia win this sad ranking.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I'm sure this will not be on the news...

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: samsamm9

I strongly disagree about them being the "most persecuted people in the world", but that doesn't make it any less sad.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The Young Turks; go figure.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It most definitely is NOT those folks, at least according to the majority of ATS.

The most persecuted people are the white christians in America.

They're just swept off the streets, have no say in the gov't, can't even get an hour sleep w/o worry... ;-)

Derek

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Viesczy

No, many of us feel that the writing is on the wall in America, that it is beginning, but the persecution of Christians is very bad throughout the world. Were doing fine right now in America.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
People need to finally realize that just because certain human beings call themselves Buddhists or Muslims or Christians doesn’t mean they live up to the high standards of their faith.

Faith is only a striving to reach the best, not a final result. It is a path of cultivation, like you cultivate a plant properly and it grows properly. If the believers don’t practice the best of their faith they will be like a withering plant.

Oppression has no faith, or race.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnFisher
a reply to: ketsuko

The Young Turks; go figure.

TYT are just the messenger of the news.
It's the UN that said they were the most persecuted.
I doubt you've read the links, actually I'm sure you didn't...

The concept is:
- you read the links and comment on it.

new topics

top topics

join