It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Don't Believe What You Read: US Psy Ops Are At Work

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
A recent article on Yahoo News describes a recent PsyOp, or psychological operation, that the U.S. Army executed against the rebels in Falluja. Though the information surrounding this particular operation is interesting, it is the information concerning PsyOps in general that is the most interesting.

news.yahoo.com
Officials at the Pentagon and other U.S. national security agencies said the CNN incident was not an isolated feint � the type used throughout history by armies to deceive their enemies � but part of a broad effort underway within the Bush administration to use information to its advantage in the war on terrorism.

The Pentagon in 2002 was forced to shutter its controversial Office of Strategic Influence (OSI), which was opened shortly after the Sept. 11 attacks, after reports that the office intended to plant false news stories in the international media. But officials say that much of OSI's mission � using information as a tool of war � has been assumed by other offices throughout the U.S. government.

Although most of the work remains classified, officials say that some of the ongoing efforts include having U.S. military spokesmen play a greater role in psychological operations in Iraq (news - web sites), as well as planting information with sources used by Arabic TV channels such as Al Jazeera to help influence the portrayal of the United States.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So, the U.S. initially set up the OSI to plant false news stories in the international media, but the OSI is ineffective, because other U.S. Government offices are already planting enough false news stories for everyone. Frankly, this disgusts me. Though I understand the importance of PsyOps and their effects on the battlefield, this brings the veracity of major media stories into question across the board.

I do not see the manipulation of U.S. media outlets as being separate from this overall dis-information effort. I have no idea what to believe anymore, just that I can't believe what the current administration has to say. They have demonstrated that they are intent on misleading the entire world into doing their bidding and I cannot say that I am proud to be an American at this point in human history.

We have become a nation of cheats and liars, and the sad fact is that we are beginning to embrace that nature. Welcome to reality TV folks...to quote a line from the movie 'Sneakers':

"You won't know who to trust."

[edit on 1-12-2004 by chaosrain]

[edit on 1-12-2004 by chaosrain]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I agree, that is most disgusting... But the fact is we've been lied to no matter who or what is going on. War or no War. If the government is going to do something and know people are going to ask questions, they'll make up a story before hand... Anyone remember when they went to get those soviet subs?, that isn't what they told the public they were doing...

They're just now beginning to let the public know their deception tactics which have been in use on american soil ever since it was realized that it could be done.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
psst.... I don't believe that they have stopped as they claim.

but this does help explain why so many stories make headlines one minute and then completely dissappear from radar after that. it's quite probable that this technique is and has been used in regards to the whereabouts of Bin Laden.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
psst.... I don't believe that they have stopped as they claim.

but this does help explain why so many stories make headlines one minute and then completely dissappear from radar after that. it's quite probable that this technique is and has been used in regards to the whereabouts of Bin Laden.

They never claimed they stopped, only that the department specifically assigned to this task found that there was no point in their work because so many other government agencies had it covered. A bit more scary in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Perception management, public diplomacy, psychological warfare, call it what you like, it is nothing new.

Anyone who knowingly or unknowingly passes along or promotes false information is playing a part in the never-ending Information Wars. In that sense, each of us is or has been a soldier for unknown generals at some point or another.

This is one of my pet topics, and it is a fascinating field to research, especially in light of how rampant it is on the Internet -- and right here on ATS.

If you truly want to Deny Ignorance, I strongly recommend that you devote some time to study the field of perception management as thoroughly as you can -- and bear in mind that the information available on the topic is what they want you to know.

Edit: The idea that the U.S. government is the only group using these techniques is itself disinformation favorable to the countless other governmental and non-governmental organizations who regularly and routinely use the same techniques. Don't be their tool!

[edit on 12/1/2004 by Majic]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Well, in my opinion, the incident provided was a brilliant strategy. Secrecy has been heavily compromised by news agencies with no respect for the nations they serve who readily provide news coverage to our enemies.

When Marines landed in Somalia, the news media were there to greet them. CNN announces that the Fallujah operation has begun and the insurgents spring into action. Only this time, it's a trick and the US military gets the goods on the enemy's size, organization and tactics. Bravisimo!

[edit on 04/12/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I get not respect, no respect at all......

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Any FOX watchers should have know this for a long time, it's pretty much the state sponsered mouthpiece. The problem I see, with so many news outlets competing, and a 24/7 news cycle, news organizations are quick to jump on a stories of little substance, just to have something "fresh" and to get ratings.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
esdad71, you have my respect! as well as all others here that have shared their concept.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Well they are still at work here's some information and links and even though it is in Afghanistan. It also relates to Iraq as well he was on UK TV talking about how they blasted metallica in steal box containers etc and flashing lights on and off. Take a look at the lins and read up on the names he mentions in the links these are some of the grand dads of psy ops.

Crazy Rulers of the World The road to Abu Ghraib
Crazy Rulers of the World
Crazy Rulers of the World Guant�namo Serenade
Crazy Rulers forum post's

"The industrial noises were blasted across the block. But the strangest thing of all happened inside Jamal's own interrogation room. The room was furnished with a CCTV camera and a two-way mirror. Jamal would be brought in for 15-hour sessions, during which time they got nothing out of him because, he said, there was nothing to get. He said his past was so clean - not even a parking ticket - that at one point someone wandered over to him and whispered, "Are you an MI5 asset?"

[edit on 1/12/2004 by SE7EN]

top topics

join