It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia In Secret Anti-Fracking Plot With Greenpeace, Warns Nato Boss

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   
OK, this thread is no doubt going to cause some arguments.
1.Please, let's keep it civil.
2. Please, let's try very hard not to let this thread slip into an argument between pro and against Putin.

Russian secret agents have infiltrated Greenpeace and other campaign groups to co-ordinate the war against fracking, it has been alleged.

After Russia unceremoniously locked 30 Greenpeace activists in jail after a protest at a Gazprom oil rig, it may seem unlikely that Putin and the environmentalists would ever find common ground. But according to the secretary-general of Nato, they have - fracking.

The Kremlin's distaste for shale gas fracking is not down to a keenly-felt concern for its environmental impact. It is pure economics, born from a desire to keep Europe dependent on gas imports from Moscow.

Now....that to me is just typical media spin to get the reader already on side that whatever else they are about to present you with must therefore be true.....

Speaking at Chatham House, Nato's Anders Fogh Rasmussen said: "I have met allies who can report that Russia, as part of their sophisticated information and disinformation operations, engaged actively with so-called non-governmental organisations — environmental organisations working against shale gas — to maintain European dependence on imported Russian gas."

He did not elaborate on whether the infiltration was undercover, or whether the groups were actively collaborating with the Russian interests. “That is my interpretation," he said.

So in response from those accused, that is the anti-fracking camp...

A spokesman for Greenpeace said: "The idea we're puppets of Putin is so preposterous that you have to wonder what they're smoking over at NATO HQ. Mr Rasmussen should spend less time dreaming up conspiracy theories and more time on the facts."

Nato Boss

So, it would make sense to me to go looking at Gazprom and see if they too are involved in fraking....

As Gazprom Neft, one of Russia's top oil companies which employes fracturing as one of the leading techniques, revealed to OGE, the company has performed over 2,500 fracturing operations and the number is increasing by 500 a year with Halliburton, Schlumberger and BJ Services being the main providers of this service. Gazprom Neft's subsidiary Sibneft-Khantos performed the largest hydraulic fracture in Europe on Priobskoye oilfield with over 558 tons of proppant pumped into the ground.

Gazprom and fracking

Here is Gazprom's website....
Gazprom

So why would the leader of NATO come out with such accusation.....

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
My guess would be that Rasmussen is in the ass from the US big time who can tell him anything and he would believe it as fact.
Can't stand that guy Rasmussen, we got such political figures here as well, who will do anything to please the US.. and just don't have their own opinion, let alone ''vision''.

edit on 20-6-2014 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
LOL ...All I can add is this vid clip about franking .If it's the Russians then they have infiltrated Hollywood .I guess the rumor that that turf was CIA's is not true .

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Bit like pot calling kettle black!

Thanks for posting the 'film'. I had seen it before and had completely forgotten about it.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Sorry.....couldn't resist....

I can't take too much stuff that goes on in our world too seriously any more.....must be an age thing

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I think that Putin is causing the Neo-Cons in Washington to use what ever they can .They are sure looking stupid with some of the things they come up with .They are not creative in any new ways at all .Just like the Jew Card they tried to play in Ukraine .I think it shows their desperation and we really have to use a lot of salt with them . a reply to: angelchemuel

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Well, you know, the more you tell lies you end up forgetting what you lied about in the first place......and then you just run out of lies to cover up the lie you told in the first place.......game over!

Gets very confusing doesn't it?

I think my brain needs a de-frag.....or should that be de-frack! Lol!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

The scandal of fracking in the UK is simply that cameron and his little royal lickers are passing a law that means that any freehold of leasehold land owner cannot stop tracking. The law gives the corporations the right to frack on anyones leasehold or freehold - so absolutely no citizen's rights eh!

The reason being of course that the queen one of the richest women in the world wants her pound of flesh from the commoners and she has the righnts to all things under the land - so you and however yhou feel about fracking will not stop her getting her greedy paws on the oil under the land you have paid for.

Now in America the price of oil went down as soon as fracking started there. However, and whatever the problems fracking causes to her subjects, she will get her money and s-d you!

Having a cousin of the queen as a prime minister has rewarded her really well ,given her millions of extra cash from the tax payers and protected her interests. (No wonder the Spainish wanted their royals gone, not that the newsreel would have demonstarted that yestrday as they 'forgot to show the anti-royal voice which is huge in Spain today). No wonder she asked for cam to be prime minister. The guy came from literally no-where into that job and has never delivered on what he promises to do and doesn;'t even know half the timne what is going on. Sad.ly he relates to none of the ordinary people here and it shows.

Queenie won't be bothered by polluting the water for the ret of us, she drinks bottled scottish water.

As for the Russians, cams jealous that Putin is very popular with the people of Russia whilst he, like his millionaire front bench buddies aren't popular here.

Its time for a referendum on whether people want fracking because its a big issue and many of us want to get rid of our dependency on oil and get our interests out of the ME and their vile politics.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Of course they are, fracking only benifits us (and I define that term very loosly) westeners. Russia is a one trick pony (gas) economy and fracking threatens this.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Russia has a long History of using "useful idiots" (social and environmental activists) for their own secret purposes. Wouldnt surprise me if they are up to the same games. Of course the mere accusation does not constitute proof.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
What, and people think Putin really does care about the environment?

He doesn't give a darn about his OWN species being abused; let alone the flavor-of-the-month endangered Bohemian Mud Shrew that the gov't has sworn to protect. America's rival superpowers have a vested interest in keeping anti-fracking propaganda looking hip and sexy because Russia, China and the Middle East are all well aware that alphabet groups aren't going to give them guns and drugs if they don't remain the top dog producers of resources. They know that as soon as America starts using her own geological bounties that the money is going to dry up and no one is going to give a crap when they whine about gay people adopting children.

Hydrofracking is a Devil's advocate issue because, let's face it, all the resources we have at our disposal right now are; up until we develop cold fusion at least. But until then, we have to face the facts and admit that America doesn't produce ANYTHING other than sleazy Hollywood propaganda and college debt. If we want to have any fate in global politics then we need to start exporting something meaningful again; and hydrofracking is one of the best ways America regain her economic independence.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Seeing Greenpeace is part of this thread I though I might add this clip .Mr.Moore was one of the original founders and decided to leave the group when they became more of a political movement then what they started out . Some of the sound bites coming from the usual actors is telling .If it was as bad as they were claiming surely we would be experiencing the end of life as we know it . Any way Moore speaks about the group .

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: michaelmcclen

Erm....the IEA would disagree with you...

Top oil producers: According to IEA top 10 oil producer countries produced over 64 % of the world oil production in 2012. The top oil producers in 2012 were: Russia 544 Mt (13 %), Saudi Arabia 520 Mt (13 %), United States 387 Mt (9 %), China 206 Mt (5%), Iran 186 Mt (4 %), Canada 182 Mt (4 %), United Arab Emirates 163 Mt (4 %), Venezuela 162 Mt (4 %), Kuwait 152 Mt (4 %) and Iraq 148 Mt (4 %). In 2012 total oil production was 4,142 Mt. [4] In 2011 the world oil production was 4,011 Mt demonstrating an annually rising trend in oil production.[5]

en.wikipedia.org...

@ Shilo7.....I honestly don't see what the UK Royals (or the Spanish ones), or whether they drink Scottish bottled water has to do with the comments made by the head of NATO.
I would however like to see where/how the queen financially benefits directly from fracking in the UK.

@ Skyfloating....please have a look at the video posted by the2ofusr1 above. Anyone who has a vested interest in oil/gas production are up to these shenanigans...it's not a one way road.

@ SoldierCarryingHashbrowns I totally agree with you about fracking, I personally hate it with a passion, have done for the last 30 years. However.....as to Putin not carring.....

Expect Russia to airbrush from history any references Putin may have made to environmentally damaging fracking.

Asked if development of shale gas resources threatened Russia’s dominance of Europe’s energy market, Mr Putin grabbed a notepad to draw diagrams of how “fracking” – the method used to extract such gas – could damage the environment.

NHA learns, according to reliable sources present that Putin described big threats to the environment, huge quantities of water, fracking chemicals and how when you fly over the US you can see thousands of holes. He also said, allegedly, since I wasn't there and the Armagnac would have gotten to me by that point anyway:

"In the U.S. where the shale gas is extracted you will be sick because there is a real threat to the environment. That's why in France, shale gas extraction is prohibited. The French have understood what this will lead to".

nohotair.co.uk...

Just putting stuff out there for discussion.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I kind of agree with the fracking being problematic when it comes to pollution .It's a very suspicious industry in that they are not very open to all the chemicals they use and what could happen .I think they it can destroy ground water and some how our Govt. regulatory system has side stepped the concerns .In New Brunswick where I am there are calls for a moratorium on the practice . I can go for that .Be more safe then sorry .It's a very big subject with big players that can have big gains . The NATO thing though is just silly .I cant help but laugh when I think about it .:>) a reply to: angelchemuel

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Just came across this .It's kind of off topic but it would address a theme we see coming from talking heads whom ever they need to use to make a point about a subject we may not agree with . We have all heard about the 97% consensus statement about AGW well look at this group and you will find a 100% agreement that disagrees with what we are told daily .

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I thought I'd do some more digging. It would seem the Arctic is also a problem for oil exploration and NATO getting involved.
Although the article dates from 2011, it would appear this has been going on a while behind the scenes...

Lobbying for the Greenlanders

The US is going to great lengths to cosy up to Greenland, amid concerns over Chinese influence. One cable said: “Our intensified outreach to the Greenlanders will encourage them to resist any false choice between the United States and Europe. It will also strengthen our relationship with Greenland vis-à-vis the Chinese, who have shown increasing interest in Greenland’s natural resource.”

Another cable says “with Greenlandic independence glinting on the horizon, the U.S. has a unique opportunity to shape the circumstances to which an independent nation may emerge. We have real security and growing economic interests in Greenland, for which existing mechanisms may no longer be sufficient. American commercial investments, our continuing strategic military presence, and new high-level scientific and political interest in Greenland argue for establishing a small and seasonal American Presence Post in Greenland’s capital as soon as practicable.”

Tensions in Nato

Canadian leaders are uneasy over Nato plans to project military force in the Arctic in the face of perceived Russian aggression. Steven Harper, Canadian PM is quoted as saying that a Nato presence in the region would give non-Arctic members too much influence in an area where “they don’t belong”.

Wikileaks/Nato

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Well surprisingly no-one seems to have said this yet (and apparently many here think that Greenpeace are akin to demonspawn because they oppose us ruining the only planet we have), so I'm just gonna go ahead and say it.

WHAT A LOAD OF BULL.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Ismail

Yea, don't know what's up with that - where people are Always go in this ''tree hugger'' mode..

Must be some impressive propoganda that people think alike on that matter, if not I really don't know..

edit on 20-6-2014 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Gas as in Gas not oil or petrol. they have stacks upon stacks of it. Remember this is an internaional site and I'm using the Queens English

As measured by the International Energy Agency, the top 10 natural gas producers in 2012 were (66.7% of total) (bcm): 1) United States 677 (20.0%), 2) Russia 651 (19.2%), 3) Canada 160 (4.7%), 4) Qatar 151 (4.5%), 5) Iran 149 (4.4%), 6) Norway 106 (3.1%), 7) China 103 (3.0%), 8) Saudi Arabia 92 (2.7%), 9) Indonesia 92 (2.7%), 10) Netherlands 81 (2.4%) and World 3 388 (100%).[2]

How much of the American gas is shale? Compared to Russian?

Like I said, this is all about keeping the price of gas high.
edit on 20-6-2014 by michaelmcclen because: fixed a few things.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: michaelmcclen

Oops sorry.....I should have looked at where you're from duh...
My apologies.

Well there's hardly a hair between US and Russian gas production in your figures.

EIA estimates that in 2011, about 7.85 trillion cubic feet (tcf) of dry natural gas was produced directly from shale deposits in the United States. This was about 34% of total U.S. dry natural gas production in 2011.

www.eia.gov...

Shale production

From underneath the above chart.....

s of 2013, the US, Canada, and China are the only countries producing shale gas in commercial quantities. The US and Canada are the only countries where shale gas is a significant part of the gas supply.

Rainbows
Jane

edit on 21-6-2014 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join