It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Million Refugees worldwide.....UN report June 2014

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Just wanted to mention this as it was reported on the BBC news I was watching whilst sunning myself on holiday...

The report, recently released talks about the number of Refugees currently displaced (50 million) being the HIGHEST number since WW2.
Of that total, 17 Million have fled their country of origin due to war or threat of death.

www.bbc.com...

I did a search and noticed this thread from an ATS member back in 2011 and it serves as a reminder that we seem not to learn and that little changes from then to now APART from the fact that the world is more and more violent and at greater conflict.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's a sobering thought that so many have so little and they are surely the "pool" for future do-affected people...

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: PurpleDog UK

The report, recently released talks about the number of Refugees currently displaced (50 million) being the HIGHEST number since WW2.

I wonder if the ~11 million ''refugees'' that have slinked their way in to the US were counted?

But I digress, refugees are a great (or terrible) indicator of local and regional stability. I would be curious as to if there is any correlation between the increase of refugees and the GWOT and regional instability in the ME directly related to the Sunni/Shia bloodletting that has been exploding over the last decade or so.

I also am also curious if any total populations were included or excluded as to make this number seem more incredible. for example, were Ethnic Kurds, or Tibetans included? Seeing as how they have been harangued for decades what category would they fall in to?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: PurpleDog UK

And all this during a period which drew comment from Obama, along the lines of this being the most peaceful period in history, or something to that effect.

BSers gonna BS.

I am hardly surprised by these appalling numbers, but I am saddened by them. They seem to indicate that we forget all to easily, the errors of the past.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   

...it serves as a reminder that we seem not to learn and that little changes from then to now APART from the fact that the world is more and more violent and at greater conflict.
It's a sobering thought that so many have so little and they are surely the "pool" for future do-affected people...

Regards

PDUK

Thank you PurpleDog for highlighting this. I heard this too on the news this morning and it made me really sad. A few months ago I was working on a school project that highlighted this problem and I got all fired up about it and angry and sad....... and then forgot about it. I feel ashamed.

Did you know that today, 20th June, is international World Refugee Day? To Lipton, does it really matter "if any total populations were included or excluded as to make this number seem more incredible"? Surely 1 displaced person fleeing in terror for their lives should be enough to make us sit up and take notice.

new topics

top topics

join