It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Wether "Radar"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   

..using copper wire instead of string to suspend these steel balls, with a wire run to a lightning rod for an antenna, the balls will react to static in a thunder storm, and "ring" off each other.

*Note*
Not for careless use. Should be emplaced well clear of buildings, outside. Will conduct lots of electricity.
Ideally, it should be a wooden frame, with the copper wires attached to a nail , so as to be capable of disconnecting.
edit on 20/6/14 by Greywolf13A because: made error. hit wrong button after title without message body.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Greywolf13A
If you had made a title and thread about Franklin's lightning bells that would have been interesting.

But what you have done instead is made a thread titled "Home Wether "Radar"". There are a number of issues with this:
1. It's not a weather device. Where I live it rains every year yet most years I don't get any lightning.
2. You link to a source about Franklin's bells, but the image you show is of balls, not bells, and it wouldn't work like Franklin's bells.
3. While it's probably possible to design a much more effective experiment, maybe attempting to duplicate Franklin's bells using bells, it's far too dangerous for most of us to do so, as your warning suggests, however I'm not sure your warning is adequate. If lightning strikes the plasma arc doesn't need any wire so I'm not even sure what you mean by "with the copper wires attached to a nail , so as to be capable of disconnecting." You would also need to have a professional electrician check any lightning rod wiring and even then it's still possible you could have problems when lightning strikes. My warning would say "don't play with lighting rods at home, it's too dangerous".
4. Lightning comes in groups so the best, easiest and safest way to see where lightning is active is to look at a live lightning map:

Lightning Map

We live in an age of amazing technology.

If you want to duplicate the Franklin Bells experiment, this source has a much better idea, use a high voltage power supply rather than a lightning rod:
Franklin's Bells

These sparks could very dangerous and a direct strike to the lightning rod could cause explosions and fire. A safer version of this experiment is easy to setup by using a simulated lightning rod in the form of a high voltage DC power supply such as a Van De Graff generator or Voltage Multiplier.

If you don't have some bells available then they can be replaced by any metal object such as a drinks can. This experiment works best if all the conductors are smooth, but a foil coated plastic ball will be ok if another type of lightweight metal ball is not available.
That points out some other problems with your idea, you showed heavy balls and you need a light ball like a foil coated plastic ball, and you also need some bells if you want bells to ring.

Conducting the experiment with a High voltage DC power supply instead of a lightning rod would be a lot safer, since you no longer have the risks of actual lighting strikes, but you still have a risk of electrocution if you're not careful.

edit on 20-6-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
You DO NOT run a wire to a lightning rod!

Unless, it is properly connected using an overvoltage protection.

Link to some European lightning maps (Germany, Poland, UK, Belgium, Swiss available): here
edit on 20-6-2014 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Greywolf13A

*weather

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Artistic License. Note the quotes. For a 1751 system, it's as close as it gets. This system in no way resembles Dr. Franklin's device, although it uses a similar principal. As for the title...it got you to look, if only to edit.
Mission accomplished.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Did overvoltage protection exist in 1751..?

Defense rests.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Good to think safety, though.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I can see where some city types may get confused, and I'l do a follow up later. To clairify:

On a familly farm, with 400 acres of unused land surrounding it, I can set up an experiment of this type, using pre-manufactured goods as a time saver, out n isolated "lab" area, and obeserve from a distance relatively safely.
I do sometimes forget foks don't always have the luxury of open space.

That being said, this would be relativly inexpensive to run..

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

This design in the photo, was not the one I had seen in 72..to describe..
a wooden cube frame, made of pine peices each about 1/4 inch square and 8 inches long. at the top right of this nox a small diamiter, but long nail driven through the wood. A central wire runs the long axis of the box, from it is suspended the group of balls, a minimum of 3, also from copper wires.

To connect: the main wire from the lightning rod, a stiff type, bent to a fish hook shape is connected to the nail, just below the head..

stand back, a GOOD distance, use visual aids, [ binoculars or some such] and watch the fireworks..
This photo was the closest in design to the one me and my cousin had used to model this. mind I'm working from a 30 year old memory with no notes..which were destroyed during my overseas time..

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Why would I use European maps in the U.S.A,...there ougfht to be local variants available.
And trying to re-create a historical study would be negated by the use of modern tech..

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greywolf13A

As for the title...it got you to look, if only to edit.
Mission accomplished.

note to self; do not read any more of Greywolf's threads.

top topics

join