It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should people be ashamed or proud of getting hired because of race?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Humble over either. But I could see how you could be easily roused if it were difficult time getting jobs in other areas because of racial preference. If you came to London you would quickly learn of the racially motivated employment and it might rouse you to air punch if you were selected for race.

It seems you can put all the races in a box and they'll still part ways. And they'll employ in the same way.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Race should never be a factor in being hired or fired.
If it is ... then there is a serious problem.
And problems aren't things for humans to be proud of.
Hiring and firing should be color blind. Period.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I would be ashamed to have ever been hired because of my race or religion.
We fail as a society if we hire someone based on their race or religion instead of their qualifications. This is a sign that the empire is crumbling.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: werewolf99

Ashamed!!!

I am so sick of people getting hired because some company has to fill their minority quota and then that person has ZERO experience but hey the quota has been met so it doesn't matter.

I have lost jobs I've applied for because of this and I was more qualified but I didn't fit their quota for minorities. How do I know? Because I knew people in upper management who told me.

I would be ashamed to know I was hired for anything other than my ability to do the job. I would not feel I earned it.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
My husband was one of two finalists for a government job once. He didn't get it for two reasons: he wasn't a woman and he was white while she wasn't. Apparently everything else was equal. I wonder if it would have swayed anything had he played on his Native American heritage which he makes a practice of not doing because he doesn't want to have anything handed to him for racial reasons?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Regardless of color or sex an Owner of a business or manager will never hire anyone that is NOT qualified or can not fulfill the requirements or obligations. Even though it was common practice to do the contrary, which erected and gave the atmosphere to manifest the very LAWS you speak of. No one here is going to mention that, the reason this came to be is because of the opposite being a common practice. LETS NOT FORGET THAT PLEASE.
So everyone here that wants to say Affirmative Action this and that need to grow up.
Everything flips around. I wonder how many qualified people were turned away just because of someone else's ignorant mindset.
Most of the people here do not realize that today is a result and the sum of yesterday. Add that up, and never forget it. I hate that this beautiful site even has a corner for this.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS

I don't think anyone has forgotten it, but just because that happened doesn't mean that the inverse is now correct. At some point, we need to settle into the balance where we no longer preference anyone over another for an artificial or superficial reason like skin color, ethnicity, gender or religion. For the most part, those things do not impact how well someone can do his or her job, and they should only matter in those extremely rare cases where they matter.

Say ... using superficial things to make casting decisions or admitting that for jobs that require heavy or powerful physical bodies, women will have trouble meeting the standards or understanding the traditional dress of muslim women might not be the best fit on a factory floor with heavy machinery ... things like that.

edit on 20-6-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't want to go back and forth because I honestly believe we are 2 different people with 2 different stances that wish for the same honest, outcome. The outcome where all skilled people are recognize for their skills and skills alone.
I understand totally, I have had this 'unremovable' hairstyle, and man........You have no idea how judgmental people can be until you develop a 'self' and come out of that cocoon. The robots will be so easy to usher in because people have been the prototype robot for quite sometime lol.

You are speaking for yourself. Others here, based on their comments have a diluted understanding and they take certain things out of context.
I am not saying the inverse is correct, I brought it up because people must realize what got us here in the first place. I go onto ATS and people make racist comments while removing the historical context. That's all. This is a result and the sum of 'yesterday.

People here will purport that people are hiring people just because they have a quota and anyone here who knows anything about ownership should know that it is far more complex than that. You will never have any one on the team that can't do the job.
In our diverse country, I think it is suspect if you have 100 employees and they are all white.
Why?
Because you can NOT convince me that their aren't skilled people of every kind in every neck of the woods that need work. Period, point-blank, period.
In Los Angeles EVERY SINGLE construction site or freeway that is being fixed are all white.
Who ever says that their aren't any so called 'black' or latino qualified for the job in areas they are the majority is racist to me because that is so untrue. Every sheriff in my old town is a bald head white guy ( from 16 years of experience)in a town where it is uncommon to see many white people. Will we go out on a limb to say that there aren't any people in my whole town 'latino' or so called 'black' that would love to protect their community?? People will say this without saying this. "Well, whats stopping them from becoming sheriffs then?" Maybe because now we a psychological issue where the people don't identify with an organization that mistreats them or looks at them like they are 'aliens'.
At 15 years old a sheriff told me if you want us to stop stopping you for no reason other than how you look maybe you should change the way you dress!!!!! Isn't that absurd! Its a culture and the proof is look at america now LOL. The way I dressed is now not limited to where I grew up, its a common culture. Doesn't matter if your from there, your ethnic background, race, ties to the criminal underworld )or lack there of).
So back to my point, the sheriff at that time viewed every single male in that whole city a 'criminal' or a 'thug' based off of that alone?!.. Who would want to join an organization like that anyway. (which gave birth to gangs, panthers, and other political organizations but you will never read that in a book)

I believe this took place to remove some of the non-sense that would have kept us from seeing a balance forever.
People will honestly complain about anything.
Smh @ the spoiled brat of the human family.

A balance has to be found, but I honestly believe that a person will never hire anyone that is not suited for the position he or she is applying for.

but hey ATS, complaining and spewing ignorance about people has to be the most counter-productive, elementary approach ever.
edit on 20-6-2014 by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS because: addition

edit on 20-6-2014 by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS because: addition

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS

Saying that people aren't been hired because of a quota really strikes me as quite wrong: otherwise why would they exist? Also saying that quotas arent the only reason is itself incorrect you are either hire or you are not and if your colour pushed it over the edge then you have been hired because or race; to fulfill a racial quota.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join