It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very weird theory that I found on the Internet

page: 78
<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: BerenstEiner

The most likely explanation is that those who remember it wrong mixed it in their brains with Albert Einstein.
Also in german it's "...EIN" in most cases

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: BerenstEiner

originally posted by: raymundoko

If evidence shows I misremembered I willingly accept that

There probably won't be any evidence.

Just a memory you can't explain.

Weird huh?

I replied to a poster in this thread who claimed to have 1st edition books showing the 'ein' spelling, but I am yet to get any response in regards to posting a pic or two. They haven't responded to 2 PM's either.

You're right, I doubt we will see any real evidence.

ETA:: Here's the post, from page 17.

originally posted by: Nola213
I'm from the "Stein" universe, the OT (original timeline). I have 2 old 1st edition books from '68 where it's spelled "Berenstein Bears".

The "Stainer's" in this thread are either selling disinformation, as the "change" was anti-semetic; or more likely you need to go back to your own universe or timeline.

Stein 4 ever!

This rabbit hole is way deeper than you think. It has to do with person(s) not connected to the original works trying to get the name changed so they can collect money off book sales, and other royalties. LOL "Stain" *rolls eyes*

Also Mandela has been reported dead no less than 3 times.

edit on 1/21/2015 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Memories we can't explain are often false memories. Most likely I'm combining several events into one. That's how the Mandela Effect started.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna
Sorry to come to the party late, this is my first time seeing this thread. This is a hoax. I still have a massive shelf of books from when I was a kid. I have a ton of Berenstain Bears books, and others. The oldest I found at a glance was from 1973, before they used the cursive script. It says Berenstain.

I remember spelling it wrong, stein, because that is an actual Norse suffix (stone), but they had a weird spelling. The reason everyone remembers it wrong is because they recall something more logical - the more common suffix. Same thing happened with a friend of mine, I remembered her last name wrong because it was an atypical Slavic suffix

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ridhya
a reply to: pirhanna
The reason everyone remembers it wrong is because they recall something more logical - the more common suffix.

Just want to throw out there, that when you're 5 or 6 years old, neither spelling is logical/common to you. If all the "stEins" remembered it spelled "stEEn" I'd jump right on board with ya (because kids just learning to spell would certainly find that spelling logical... seem, deep, greet, etc.)

But so many (admittedly myself included) specifically remember its 'weird' spelling as "stEin" even though it was pronounced "stEEn."

We saw it that way in our homes and our classrooms every day. Well before anything else we were exposed to bore the suffix "stAin" OR "stEin." We absorbed it as 'truth' --It's ingrained in us. There are many of us, and it's freaky-weird I tell ya!!! And I ain't proud of it. It just is what it is.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: PapagiorgioCZ

The most likely explanation is that those who remember it wrong mixed it in their brains with Albert Einstein.
Also in german it's "...EIN" in most cases

Great thought, and I'd jump on that train with ya if the pronunciation were the same between the two words. (Einstein = ein like the vowel sound in 'time' ...stAin/stEin = vowel sound like 'teen.')

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: new_here
I dunno, I remember doing a project on it when I was a child, and spelling it wrong repeatedly. I still have a lot of my youngest schoolworks, maybe I could dig it up. Stein is always pronounced as in Einstein, but German Jews started pronouncing it "steen" to distinguish themselves. Stain would be what, Dutch maybe..?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   
No one has been able to prove to me that what we remembered can be independently tested and verified

"well you remembered it wrong"

Who the bleep are you to tell someone else what they remember and what they don't?

Seriously.

How can you sit there and make wild accusations about sanity, about cover ups and other implied things whilst having no way of proving otherwise?

The way an argument works is someone presents a topic. They can claim whatever they want.
IT IS UP TO THE OTHER PERSON TO DISPROVE IT

Try going to a debate with a judge and rules and see how fast you can make an argument without resorting to logical fallacies when it comes to this subject.

You can't.

"well I have this original 1968 book where it's spelled with Stain"

Until you can tell me why this memory exists in some people and not others with verifiable evidence, I don't care about your book.

We're not discussing about whether it's spelled correctly.

We're discussing about why we even have the memory in the first place.

Friggin people sometimes.

I was born in the night, but it wasn't last night.

Pseudo skepticism does not work with me.

edit on 23-1-2015 by thisguy27 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ridhya
I dunno, I remember doing a project on it when I was a child, and spelling it wrong repeatedly. I still have a lot of my youngest schoolworks, maybe I could dig it up. Stein is always pronounced as in Einstein, but German Jews started pronouncing it "steen" to distinguish themselves. Stain would be what, Dutch maybe..?

I always pronounced it 'steen' and remember it spelled 'stein' with no reference (early on) to any other word spelled 'stein.' If I feel like if I'd seen 'stain' I'd have pronounced it 'stain' as that is a word in itself. I tell ya, it's a puzzle to me, this whole thing!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Hi,
It was Berenstein, once upon a time.
Now it's not.
I cannot explain it.

I have completely freaked out librarians, book store owners, parents and my own family. They ALL say it was Berenstein.

Every time I see Berenstain...it screams "WRONG" at me.
It looks just as wrong as if I logged in here one morning, and saw that my name was jacygurl.

This world...there's more to it than we are currently aware of.

jacygirl

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I've been quizzing random people as much as I can. I just need to keep hearing people say what I expect to hear-the E spelling. I don't know why this is happening but it's so intriguing!!

Yesterday I called 2 libraries and asked (without loading) if they know about a kids book about bears. They both replied with the E pronunciation AND spelling. Yes, lol...I asked them to spell it.

Where do we go from here? What else can we do? I'm not satisfied, not sure I'll ever be.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Hattish1

I'm not satisfied either, but I am willing to accept that I may not understand HOW something like this could happen.
Shifting timelines?
Bleed-through from parallel dimensions?
Time travel?
*shrugs* I dunno.

I don't even care who tells me it's my memory. I mean, it's MY memory....I know it better than anyone.

jacygirl

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I know that everyone pronounced it "Beh-ren-steen" even though it was spelled Berenstain, its possible in Dutch (or whatever language that is) ai is pronounced ee, I dont know...

Im sure that it is simply a case of the disconnect between the pronunciation and the abnormal spelling, as much as I'd like it to be an alternate universe due to a children's book

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Ridhya

Heres the thing that you and others dont get.

WE REMEMBER IT SPELLED THAT WAY. IT WAS ALWAYS SPELLED THAT WAY.

I would say a good 80% of us remember it that way. I myself called book stores and THEY REMEMBER it spelled that way. Librarians REMEMBER it that way.

SOMTHING IS WRONG AND ITS NOT OUR MEMORIES.
edit on 23-1-2015 by BerenstEiner because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Again, how do you explain people who are looking at the book and spell it wrong? It was an over 70% failure rate...

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Quite honestly I don't really understand it. I don't know the book either. Can someone explain please? I could investigate it, but why if this is an ongoing discussion about the subject where people can tell me more specific what the problem is. . . . .

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Undergroundman04
Quite honestly I don't really understand it. I don't know the book either. Can someone explain please? I could investigate it, but why if this is an ongoing discussion about the subject where people can tell me more specific what the problem is. . . . .

Start at the begining of the thread.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hattish1
I've been quizzing random people as much as I can. I just need to keep hearing people say what I expect to hear-the E spelling. I don't know why this is happening but it's so intriguing!!

Yesterday I called 2 libraries and asked (without loading) if they know about a kids book about bears. They both replied with the E pronunciation AND spelling. Yes, lol...I asked them to spell it.

Where do we go from here? What else can we do? I'm not satisfied, not sure I'll ever be.

Type this into google for more weirdness: Berenstein Bears -Berenstain

(The "minus Berenstain" filters out hits with that spelling.)

Here are a few interesting ones:
Performance advertised by a Theatre Group
A Book Club for Children
Movie Theater listing
A college survey
Andddd, my personal favorite: Law Firm representing/protecting the copyright/franchise!!!

From that source, emphasis mine...

He has handled complex issues concerning such characters and properties as Spider-Man, X-Men, Superman, Batman, Barbie, Babar the Elephant, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Berenstein Bears, Inspector Gadget, Franklin The Turtle, Raggedy Ann and Andy, Abbott & Costello, Mr. Bill, The Woodstock Festivals and Rube Goldberg.

Sooo... the Law Firm representing them thinks it's stEin? I feel like I'm in pretty good company.

Don't know what's going on with this, but the 'memory issue' is running rampant (18,800 hits on search) and includes a wide cross-section of society. Not just a bunch of knuckle-dragging idiots or trolls.

edit on 1/23/2015 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Is it just me, but doesn't the actual title font of the books look different?

I remember it with an E, and so does my whole family. When I google the book covers though, the font looks off.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
At first, I was intrigued, as I always remembered it as Berenstein. So I looked at the Mandela effect website, and that's when my interest died.

All of these "other" memories listed that people remembered differently had perfectly sound explanations. For starters, people remembering maps looking different have several easy explanations. Map locations, sizes, and scales widely differ depending on the mapping method used. Politics also has a say in many maps, where some countries/landmasses are downsized in a subtle political statement of inferiority. If you like up several types of maps together from different mapping styles, you find that each of them varies, and the locations of places will also vary. Not to mention the majority of Americans are geographically illiterate anyway. All these claims of maps being different seem more like poor memory/map distortion problems than timeline problems. I personally have never remembered landmasses being anywhere than where they are, and I'm a geography buff. I have looked at many maps. Nothing strange there.

Then we have people who remember people dying before they died. Again, mistaken memories, confusing news reports and names are a much more likely explanation. I personally never remembered Mandela dying in prison. In fact, I remember it was a huge deal when he was finally released from prison. The only time I ever heard of Mandela dying was....well.....last year or so. Same thing with Patrick Swayze. I remember when he died. I never heard of him miraculously recovering from his pancreatic cancer. If he had recovered, uh...he'd be making movies and this wouldn't even be in question.

There were many other memories listed that people claim were true, that I had never even heard before, that really aren't very convincing or even interesting. I was disappointed too, because at first, I was hoping to find some mind blowing evidence that I would have had a hard time explaining.

What would convince me that the timeline changed? Here is an example. I remember Desert Storm very well. It began January 17th, 1991 (it was actually the 16th for me, because I lived on the West coast USA, but the official war started on that day). It was about 4 days after my 17th birthday. I was in between schools, and I had a temp home tutor, and the announcement came on CNN as he was leaving, and he stayed to watch it with my grandma, who was making pork loin for dinner. I remember that Saturday, Saturday Night live opened with Wayne's World, guest starred Sting, and of course had many references to the current war.

This is what I remember. Now let's say I were to decide to do research on the first Gulf War. So I start looking only to find that every source I find states that Desert Storm began on December 8th, 1990, and that the following Saturday Night Live episode opened with Hans and Franz, and the guest star was David Bowie, then I would in a serious WTF moment. Because then you would not only be changing a fixed date in world history, a day I remember clearly because it had great significance to me (It was that day I told my grandma of my long standing goal of becoming career military, since I had just turned 17 and would soon be eligible to enlist). I also made a tape of Saturday Night Live that episode, a tape I still have in my storage (the dark ages of VHS). If other people remembered the same thing I did despite what is stated everywhere else, and also had some sort of token to prove it, THEN I'd agree something seriously screwed up is going on.

But misremembering celebri9ty deaths or poorly drawn maps? Nope.

So in the end, I accepted that I, like many others, misremembered Berenstain as Berenstein, due to the suffix of stein in a last name being far more common.

new topics

top topics

<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join