It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very weird theory that I found on the Internet

page: 38
<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

i've mentioned what Box of Rain has posted before, and i was met with "I didn't know those names as a kid." the argument isn't "kids are exposed to thousands of Steins," it's that kids grow up and become adults, leaving behind Berenstain and becoming familiar with the more common Stein.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Boswell

Alright, I can buy that. Memory replacement then. Thanks for clarifying your stance.

edit on 25-6-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Druid42

it was an example of one of the many sites that misspell the word in the listing while the book spells the word Berenstain.

i have no trouble agreeing that many people think it was Stein, i've mentioned why they think it's Stein and a few members have shared opinions as to why so many may think it's Stein.

the problem with arguing that a transition of some sort is incomplete/botched is that you will need to find evidence of a transition - when did it begin? how many people has it affected? what other aspects of reality have been influenced?etc. etc. you can tell me, "these are things we may never know" but i would refuse to accept that answer because this very scenario, for you, is evidence of a transition and so there will be many, many more transition scenarios for you to find.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
That Stain is plastered all over the internet and from bookstores is freaking me out. I'm telling you, it is not our memories failing us. Those of us that know it was Stein, KNOW. There is no doubts.

And what is this thing with Zimmerman not being Zimmerman???? It is still in youtube vids and news reports.

edit on 25-6-2014 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

the reconstructuring of memory is interesting in itself. it's documented and it seems to be something humans do.

my mom reconstructed a memory about me that she likes to share with friends and family. it involves me being a firebug when i was a teen. in my mom's memory, i had a small fire going in the middle of our driveway; in my memory, i burned a receipt and wanted to see how long i could hold onto the paper before dropping it. when she saw the paper on the ground it was smoking, no fire, but she's adamant it was a rather large fire that could have burned our house down.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

jacygirl mentioned, a few pages ago, that she thought the name of a television host was Zimmerman and it's Zimmern. guessing this is who she meant: andrewzimmern.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Oh. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Maybe I should write a thread on how John Mellencamp changed his name to John Cougar, then went by John "Cougar" Mellencamp, then changed to John Mellencamp, and see who remembers what.

This thread has been a very entertaining and informative experience. I think it can safely be said we left no stone, stain, or stein unturned.

edit on 25-6-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

it's been emotional.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: thisguy27

It's always been Berenstain. I read those books as a child, and I am not exactly young. This guy, and surely others, simply remember it incorrectly, probably because it isn't the more common spelling.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
a reply to: WhiteAlice

I spelled at a college graduate level by the time I was 8.
Just sayin.

Also, Occam's razor is the worst kind of razor. You can't even shave with it, much less win a fair debate. And this isn't even a debate - at this point people are chiming in with data (their memories). So, you really haven't disproved anything. We aren't even to where we could posit a valid hypothesis to disprove yet!

Sure we are. My own children have read some of those books, that I had as a child. Some of those have dates in from the 60's. This guy remembered wrong. it was never "-stein"; it was always "-stain". Always.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

It's almost useless to keep trying to explain it to people. There have been many times in my 37 years where I said "Oh! I didn't know that!", or "I didn't notice that always being there!" etc. I have never had an issue just walking past something and realizing that I had missed something about it for 20 years. The memory is changed, I think I wonder why I never noticed it for about a minute and a half and I move on.

This is a whole other issue all together for me. It's different because I KNOW what it was. We have distinct memories where the name stood out, so it is harder to accept. Those that never knew "Stein" have no way of understanding that this isn't something that we just were unaware of and should get over it.

I am a very rational person. I accept that my memory is faulty at times. I have mistaken things that have always been there etc. I don't have an issue admitting it. But I can not admit it here. Therein lies the difference. I don't know WTH is going on anymore than anyone else in this thread, but I DO KNOW that it was "Stein" as do obviously thousands of other people.

It's not mass hysteria and it's not a lot of folks who just can't admit they're wrong.

I don't know how to make it any more clear than that to those that keep trying to explain it away. If it were that easy we wouldn't be here days later still trying to figure out WTH is going on.
edit on 6/25/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Druid42
IF it was always stain, there'd be no question or reason for this thread. People would just accept it. Yep, that's the way it's always been spelled. That's not what we are finding, and that is the premise I'm following.
Yes and no. As far as I can tell, it was always stain on the books, but it wasn't always stain elsewhere because people have been misreading what's on the books for a long time.

Even someone in the lawyer's office representing the Berenstains mis-spelled it, but they're only human too.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

This thread, it grabs you deeply. why is that?

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation

Like, what if the people who remember the -stein way are different than those who remember it as -stain

They are different. The ones who remember it as Berenstein are wrong. Berenstain is correct. I always thought that was a weird spelling but that's the way it was.

Did you read the old sourcing documents posted?
There are like 6 of them posted towards the bottom of page 1, old newspapers, and they refer to the books as Berenstein.

How about a better source, like, say, the books themselves? Do a simple Amazon or eBay search, and see the actual covers. They ALL say BerenstAIN. All of them. New, old, all. I have OWNED many, many of these books, some from the 60's, and it's always been "-stain".

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I will swear on a stack of bibles it was -stein when I was a kid. Just reading it spelled -stain is a complete dissonance for me.

I am a pretty solid believer in time as a pile of spaghetti and not at all a linear phenomenon, and that there are parallel universes. Maybe not a parallel universe for every minute probability (probably just because my brain can't fathom infinity) but at least a parallel universe for all significant probabilities. And again, who decides which probabilities are significant? Meh I can go around and around all day and continue to make no sense.

So yeah, I can buy into a group shift into a parallel universe. This is really fascinating. So glad you shared this OP.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

here here I agree fully.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boswell

it was an example of one of the many sites that misspell the word in the listing while the book spells the word Berenstain.

i have no trouble agreeing that many people think it was Stein, i've mentioned why they think it's Stein and a few members have shared opinions as to why so many may think it's Stein.

the problem with arguing that a transition of some sort is incomplete/botched is that you will need to find evidence of a transition - when did it begin? how many people has it affected? what other aspects of reality have been influenced?etc. etc. you can tell me, "these are things we may never know" but i would refuse to accept that answer because this very scenario, for you, is evidence of a transition and so there will be many, many more transition scenarios for you to find.

It boils down to a mass memory redux, a transition with an unknown origin point, or the beginning of a whole slew of anomalies.

A redux would indicate some sort of mkultra program in play, tampering with memories.

A transition would indicate some sort of transplantation by a majority of the population from a parallel universe, whatever, and isn't entirely palatable.

It's entirely feasible to suggest this is the beginning of a wave of anomalies yet to occur, a rift in the space-time field brought about by whatever means, and in that case, in the near future such anomalies will be easily detectable, and comparable, by rational people everywhere. If that is the case, such anomalies would become widespread and then the rift could be more accurately predicted, unless, of course, the very fabric of space time is being unwoven, by perhaps, mankind's consistent exploration of reality is made of.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation

Like, what if the people who remember the -stein way are different than those who remember it as -stain

They are different. The ones who remember it as Berenstein are wrong. Berenstain is correct. I always thought that was a weird spelling but that's the way it was.

Did you read the old sourcing documents posted?
There are like 6 of them posted towards the bottom of page 1, old newspapers, and they refer to the books as Berenstein.

How about a better source, like, say, the books themselves? Do a simple Amazon or eBay search, and see the actual covers. They ALL say BerenstAIN. All of them. New, old, all. I have OWNED many, many of these books, some from the 60's, and it's always been "-stain".

Perhaps you have not read through the entire thread??? That is a good thing to do before posting

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Druid42

...a rift in the space-time field brought about by whatever means, and in that case, in the near future such anomalies will be easily detectable, and comparable, by rational people everywhere. If that is the case, such anomalies would become widespread and then the rift could be more accurately predicted, unless, of course, the very fabric of space time is being unwoven, by perhaps, mankind's consistent exploration of reality is made of.

Sorry I can't resist

“I have detected disturbances in the wash.'

'The wash?'

'The space-time wash.'

'Are we talking about some sort of Vogon laundromat, or what are we talking about?'

'Eddies in the space-time continuum.'

'Ah...is he. Is he.'

'What?'

'Er, who is Eddy, then, exactly?”
― Douglas Adams, Life, the Universe and Everything

new topics

top topics

<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join