It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very weird theory that I found on the Internet

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Euphem

Hi Euphem,
I'm sorry...but some of us don't believe that just because it's the most logical answer...that it has to be the correct one.

I hate to assume anything. I watch people assume something...they get an idea in their head...assume it is right...and then run with it! This is now their belief, and it is true! And I am wrong! Oh so very wrong!

I don't believe in right or wrong with this subject matter. I believe in discussing theories...expanding our mind up and away from logical answers and "I'm right you're wrong" thinking.

Then again, that is my belief...and I'm entitled to it.

jacy

edit on 24-6-2014 by jacygirl because: Punctuation...cuz I have a good eye for details.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

I think you misunderstood me, and must have missed my posts on this thread. I don't agree with the logical answer on this topic.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Euphem

Oh geez, super sorry!

I'm actually getting kind of stressed, just finding out about Andrew Zimmerman. (And also having someone just say they always remember Zimmern).
I didn't mean to be rude...I'm confused and yet insistent that I know what I remember.

Sending myself for a time-out away from the computer.
jacy

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

It's okay...stuff happens.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

this is no slight against you, but doesn't your recent Zimmerman/Zimmern realization make you question your memory? it's the exact same scenario as Stein/Stain. you are absolutely convinced that it was Zimmerman, as you are of Stein, yet unlike the Stein/Stain memory the Zimmern is more recent.

at what point will you consider the brain/mind being at fault and not something fantastical?

again, it is no slight against you. i'm asking out of interest.
edit on 24-6-2014 by Boswell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Be gone, foul demon! The power of Stein compels you!!

I think most everyone is willing to accept that it is a quirk of memory of one sort or another. I think everyone is curious why so many of us have the same issue. It's hard to reconcile the stAin spelling with years of pronouncing it stein or steen. Why would so many of us read stAin as stein and be so convinced we were right. We seem to be in a majority which makes it more interesting and slightly mysterious. That's it.
If people want to talk about it and extra dimensions or universes, so what? Why is it an issue? There are people here channeling messages from the Galactic Light Council or some such in threads I've browsed. I think it's silly (like I do mostly for the alternate reality scenarios-- though I admit it's a trip). I just close those threads and find one I don't think seems silly. I don't feel compelled to tell Galactic Light Brethren (I just made that up... I think) that I find their conversation inane.
The reaction of you few StAiners is almost as interesting as the crazy new world we StEiners find ourselves in.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Were not crazy. The link shows berenstain and berenstein on the books. It seems that there was a book club called The Berenstein Bears Cub Club and maybe that's why we remember it as berestein.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ckhk3

Consider this www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

Why would so many of us read stAin as stein and be so convinced we were right.

Why do people selling Berenstain Bears books on eBay spell it stein? They show the books spelled stain. There you go.

Ad writers spell it stein and show product spelled stain.

Apparently bookstore employees will tell you over the phone it's spelled stein. How might they react if shown the books in their store are spelled stain?

People make mistakes.

Before this thread if someone gave me a map showing Australia and asked me to show where New Zealand should be located I would have gone NEish. Apparently that's not correct. I was wrong but I'm not questioning my sanity over it.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

yes, but for kicks, we'd like to ponder why all those people are making the same mistake. If the vast majority of people were spelling and pronouncing Narnia as Narnio, I'd be curious, too. Even if I was in the minority and spelled it correctly. It's a childrens book. It shouldn't be surprising really that someone/anyone doesn't remember the correct spelling. It's more surprising that majority seems to both misspell and mispronounce the name and be so sure of it.
I promise to try to leave the BerenstAin universe as nice or nicer than when I found it. I'm not going to start defacing children's books to right this wrong. That'd be conceited... or is it concAited and I've been spelling it and pronouncing it wrong all these years..?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

keep in mind that i'm not trying to be a "foul demon" in this comment, i'm discussing.

there's been a few good explanations as to why so many people would read Stain as Stein in this thread. you're right, it's interesting that it happened.

my reactions to this thread have been frustration and astonishment, which is obvious through my comments. this is why i was frustrated and astonished: people, for the most part, had jumped to some fanciful conclusions, posted photoshopped images to support their claims, and avoided plausible explanations with "you're right, i'm right" answers. maybe you're right and everyone is willing to accept Stein/Stain as a faulty memory yet it doesn't seem that way.

are you being serious or sarcastic when you state, "The reaction of you few StAiners is almost as interesting as the crazy new world we StEiners find ourselves in"? not sure what your opinion is on what happened with this Stein/Stain scenario. you've said one thing and then another (everyone is willing to accept a quirk of memory and that people can discuss extra dimensions to a new world you've found yourself in).

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I polled 42 people locally today, asking them in this fashion:

Do you remember an old series of children's books where there was a mama bear that always wore a blue dress with white polka dots? There was also a papa bear, and two kids.

"You mean the three bears?"

No, this was a book series, made into videos. They were the Berenstain bears.

"Oh yeah, I remember them."

Can you spell Berenstain?

"Berenstein."

With an "e", not an "a"?

"Yes, with an "e"."

Here's the results:

34 people recall it being spelled with an "e".

3 people recall it being spelled with an "a",

and 5 people couldn't spell. They would start by B E A R, and I'd immediately put them in the non-speller category, and thank them for their time.

Statistically wise, 80.9% spell with the "e", and 7.1% spell with the "a", while 11.9% can't even spell.

I would dare anyone to go back through this thread and calculate the number of steins vs stains. I'll bet the percentages would match up, regardless of how this reality spells the name.

I asked a friend, after we tallied the results, so say this was an Obama popularity poll, with the higher percentage dictating disapproval, wouldn't that sway popular opinion? If only 7 % approved, wouldn't that tell you something. He switched things back on me, and said, make the poll about who believes in god, and even if you had 80% believing in god, would that make god a reality?

It's still stein, in my memory. I'll be a hard one to break when the reptilian overlords descend upon this planet.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

yes, but for kicks, we'd like to ponder why all those people are making the same mistake.
By all means, have at it. I've seen zero opposition to "pondering why".

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation

Why do people selling Berenstain Bears books on eBay spell it stein? They show the books spelled stain. There you go.

Ad writers spell it stein and show product spelled stain.

Apparently bookstore employees will tell you over the phone it's spelled stein. How might they react if shown the books in their store are spelled stain?

People make mistakes.

I searched, and the anomaly is people on Ebay, Amazon, Barnes and Noble and wherever else I look, they list their items stein, and the pic is clearly stain. Do all these sites not proofread a bit before they post their listing? I would think they would, but there is a consistency in the spelling of the listing title, which is stein. I would think, meh, maybe one or two, but it's consistently spelled stein in the listing, while the product clearly states stain. Is everyone listing these books/videos for sale not proofing-reading before they post?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Chew on this a bit, people...

If this Trademark, Copyright, Licensing Lawyer is so SMART as his page says, then surely HE knows how to spell "Berenstein Bears" right??? (Emphasis in BOLD Below is mine...)
Source: www.kenyon.com...

Jonathan Reichman has 30 years’ experience in litigation, licensing and counseling matters in copyright, trademark, unfair competition and right of publicity law, particularly for clients in the entertainment industry. He is co-author and contributing editor of the book Right of Publicity 2013, which addresses critical issues in publicity rights around the world. World Trademark Review 1000 recognizes him as a leader in trademark matters and quotes one of Mr. Reichman’s clients as saying he is, “an incredibly smart and understated trademark lawyer” (2013). For several years, Mr. Reichman has been recognized as a leading intellectual property lawyer by New York Super Lawyers (2013). He is also recognized in the area of copyright law by The Legal 500 United States (2013) and U.S. News – Best Lawyers (2013).

A major aspect of Mr. Reichman’s practice involves the protection, defense, enforcement, licensing and exploitation of rights vested in fictional characters. He has handled complex issues concerning such characters and properties as Spider-Man, X-Men, Superman, Batman, Barbie, Babar the Elephant, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Berenstein Bears, Inspector Gadget, Franklin The Turtle, Raggedy Ann and Andy, Abbott & Costello, Mr. Bill, The Woodstock Festivals and Rube Goldberg.

Complex issue, Mr. Reichman? Yeah, no kidding dude! So did he win the case? For Berenstein Bears? Or is this yet another... aww, the person who typed the info was mistaken. They thought it was spelled with an E. Really? On a Lawyer's Page about his Credits in dealing with this named product?

And this... again it's spelled Berenstein-- in a book concerning Publishing Law:Perle & Williams on Publishing Law

So... did this book about Publishing Law just have a lil ole typo... the same typo as the Copyright Lawyer above who represented the authors? Well, NO I tell you. These are big ole Elephants in the Room! Something is seriously weird about this situation!

I want answers. That make sense. "They thought it was spelled that way" is growing thin for me.

edit on 6/24/2014 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: MagicWand67

Those are good. When in the proper frame of mind, I'd much rather find out if I was mistaken and why to learn from it.

Going on thinking I was correct about something factually when I'm not does me no good.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boswell
posted photoshopped images to support their claims

There was an image from the thread I re-posted, and it turned out to be false. I don't think anyone posted it knowing it was false.

everyone is willing to accept Stein/Stain as a faulty memory yet it doesn't seem that way.

Maybe they all aren't. So what? Why is it so personally frustrating? Must they see it the way you do? Roll your eyes and move along like I do, it's better for your blood pressure.

are you being serious or sarcastic when you state, "The reaction of you few StAiners is almost as interesting as the crazy new world we StEiners find ourselves in"?

If you can't tell which of my statements in the thread have been tongue-in-cheek, foulest of demons, then I think we've identified at least part of the problem.

edit on 24-6-2014 by _Del_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Druid42

Is everyone listing these books/videos for sale not proofing-reading before they post?
By all appearances I'd say they must not be. To catch it in proofreading they'd first have to be aware
of how it appears on the product. People don't pay attention.

And my spell check flags Berenstain.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

this may be a website dedicated to conspiracies/paranormal/outlandish discussions, but not everything is a conspiracy and we don't have to come up with fantastical ideas for scenarios we can't immediately explain.

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join