It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very weird theory that I found on the Internet

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boswell
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

there is no difficult decision between choosing between something i know is wrong and what is right. as some people have stated, there is no right or wrong since it comes down to those who are Team Stain and Team Stein- but who could disagree with millions of people who remember it as "Berenstein"? i do.

what made me lose interest in the people and thread is the lack of logical/reasonable discussion. yes, i know, we need to keep an open mind to the possibility that there are things that can happen in this universe that logic/reason are unable to solve, we should just believe that something as wildly fantastical as a slight variation in the spelling of a name can happen. but before we pull out the jump-to-conclusion mat, let's ask questions and search for a plausible answer. what's happening with this thread is that everyone is sharing what could be 20 year old memories, memories from when they were children, and when the memories are of Stein those who support Stein slap each other's backs and scoff at those who remember Stain. the team mentality is another reason why i lost interest. those on team Stein are superior while those who remember Stain are inferior. why is there a division? if this truly did happen, shouldn't both sides work together to find an answer? or does the side with more people win?

this was a fascinating topic. when people simply tally Steins and Stains and consider those with the most points a conclusion, it's no longer fascinating and it's no longer a discussion. there are those who want to find answers and those who want to confirm beliefs.

what would make for a fascinating discussion are questions. these are questions we could ask about this situation:

- what are the odds, considering parallel universes/multiverses/infinite timelines, that we should exchange an E for an A - with another reality?
    - if someone has manipulated time, why something as trivial as an E for an A? what does that do in the long run?
    - if we're in a simulation, why that particular error?
    - if someone is manipulating memories, what purpose does changing letters serve?
    - if time was manipulated, would not every memory change? meaning we would all firmly believe that it has always been Stein (making this conversation impossible to happen). if you say it could happen if we're in a simulation, then we have to believe that the machine we're in doesn't have enough power to efficiently change every memory, leaving those who remember it one way and the other. again, we have to ask the previous questions and we have to start searching for errors all over the world because if the machine can't handle what should be a simple task (the machine has to be quite advanced) then our memories/reality is always in flux and letters are being swapped all over the place.
    - what if there is a mass amount of misspellings in the books? one area of the world may have received A while another E.

but the more important questions are the following:

- what specific memory do i have of the name? for example: i didn't know how to properly pronounce the name, everyone said Stein when it was spelled Stain.
    - am i allowing my current knowledge of how Stein is spelled influence my memories?
    - am i allowing the pronunciation to influence my memories?
    - how accurate are my memories of the book?
    - am i allowing the memories and conviction of others to influence my memories?
    - can i think of other times i have misremembered something?
    - are emotions overriding my reason?
    - am i allowing myself to be fooled for the wrong reasons?

we also have to entertain the possibility that millions of people are misremembering, which is not meant to offend anyone. i could be misremembering. no one is stupid in this discussion, all we can work with are memories.

there is something wrong with this scenario, the matter of A or E, but it's more mundane than most are willing to admit.

These questions are really good. I think a huge part of this issue involves our emotional attachments to some ideas. It's not a question of who's right and who isn't. This doesn't have to be an "either/or" situation. It's more a question of "why are there discrepancies?"

That's where the fun is.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko
a reply to: jacygirl

I doubt you have found a PICTURE of the spelling STEIN on the books. I still have my books, they have a copyright from 1963 and they say STAIN

jacygirl

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Boswell

This is the funny part. I am fairly certain I pronounced it BERNSTEEN. But I grew up in the South so that was my childhood accent...He (My brother) remembers me pronouncing it that way as well. I still know it was spelled BerenSTAIN though because I remember telling my mom it didn't look right.

That's when I found out people can spell their names however they want...even if it doesn't make any sense.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

And you are most likely correct in your thoughts.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Can you source that picture? I am not at home and haven't looked at the sides of my books. The cover says BerenSTAIN though.

The reason I am asking for a source is because the top two look photo-shopped, you can clearly see the outline around the letters...

Edit: Another reason I think it was shopped: Why the different name spellings? It's like someone on a board discussing this very topic wanted to prove they weren't wrong so they photo-shopped just PART of a book. So I showed that image to my brother (graphic artist for a gaming company) and he actually thinks all 3 of the top books are photo-shopped although I can't see what he sees in the 3rd one. He said I'd need a better quality image to be positive.
edit on 24-6-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I was surely not a child when I read those books to my students, and I remember them as Berenstein.

And you know what ? I don't think that you are wrong, and I don't think that I am wrong either.

I don't mind sharing thoughts and ideas,and sometimes people just have to agree to disagree, and be grownups about it.
I do not agree with your opinion, but nevertheless I respect it.

I wish you could do the same.

I wish you a nice day.

edit on 24/6/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

edit on 24/6/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: added a thought

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

You are correct that you are entitled to your opinion.

a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

The key here is your opinion does not appear to be based in fact, but rather, in faulty memory.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

And since we are discussing various theories on this thread from time travel to parallel universes, I could say the same about you.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Unless someone is faking this happy ending to this giant circle j of a thread, "Team Stein" can relax knowing once again all is right with the universe.

Is Stein Kampf over?

Any official image or cover saying "Berenstein" is photoshopped. Not one single cover has transferred with us from Universe E. There's no point in looking. Go ahead and look, but you will find the same thing as everyone else.

See who wrote that and much more. ^^^

* It's the blogger from the OP. The guy whose blog post is the topic of this thread.

Posts in this thread from Boswell and Soylent Green Is People are linked in the blog post above.
edit on 24-6-2014 by DenyObfuscation because: *

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I was correct, it was photo shopped. Here is the original image:

Source: www.reddit.com...
i.imgur.com...

Someone ripped it from reddit and photo-shopped it. My brother is a pro.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

Oh, well, that is all then? You have solved the world's problems, thank heavens! You linked to another person's work, and you single handedly ended the circle jerk. Whew, what a relief. Stein Kampf can be ended guys. Pack it up, let's call it a day.

I love how all of you with your perfect memories can so easily tell us other thousand people with faulty memories what is exactly wrong with us. You guys so obviously look down your noses at us for having ALL of our lives spelt something incorrectly.

I'm not throwing in my towel so soon, just so you know. I would like to further investigate how a mass of people can so clearly remember something as trivial as a book name wrong. I mean there clearly is something going on in our brains to process it thusly. And man am I kicking my own butt for not being able to make immature stain jokes when I was younger. I really feel left out of that party.

Anyhow, I honestly hope that your perfect memory never experiences a hiccup that leaves you scratching your head, with thousand of others to back you up. I also hope that if you do, nobody calls you stupid.

Good day.

edit on 24-6-2014 by Doodle19815 because: I apologize that this is somewhat of a snotty post. My frustration of being handed the same answer of, "see, it has always been spelled that way" is getting the best of me. In no way has my question been answered though. Why do thousands of people "remember" it with an E! What causes us to do that?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Doodle19815

I agree with you Doodle 100%.

Even though I enjoyed reading that blog, the person who wrote that blog is not all-knowing, and neither are we.

That person also shies away from anything conspiracy, paranormal, or just plain "out there" related.
He does not come up with a solution either.

I say we stick to our tin foil hats, and keep on digging.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Ha! By all means let the struggle continue. I wish you well in your search for your next score to feed your confirmation bias. The addiction of the irrational CT.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Right. So were there ever any actual books with the -stein spelling? None so far that I've seen.

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation
* It's the blogger from the OP. The guy whose blog post is the topic of this thread.
How do you like his "About me" comment:

"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
Seems like more than a little nonsense in his blog, like maybe a medium amount since he just can't accept his mis-remembering, but at least he's not totally bonkers.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I already explained how so many people could not remember it correctly. It's a confabulation that has to do with how we KNOW the name is supposed to be spelled and how it is ACTUALLY spelled. Our memory plays spell checker for us.

www.npr.org...

The biggest one though is this:

www.spring.org.uk...

4. Recalling memories alters them

Although it’s a fundamental of memory, the idea that recall alters memories seems intuitively wrong. How can recalling a memory change it?

Well, just by recalling a memory, it becomes stronger in comparison to other memories. Let’s run this through an example. Say you think back to one particular birthday from childhood and you recall getting a Lego spaceship. Each time you recall that fact, the other things you got for your birthday that day become weaker in comparison.

The process of recall, then, is actually actively constructing the past, or at least the parts of your past that you can remember.

This is only the beginning though. False memories can potentially be created by this process of falsely recalling the past. Indeed, psychologists have experimentally implanted false memories.

This raises the fascinating idea that effectively we create ourselves by choosing which memories to recall.

5. Memory is unstable

The fact that the simple act of recall changes memory means that it is relatively unstable. But people tend to think that memory is relatively stable: we forget that we forgot and so we think we won’t forget in the future what we now know.

What this means is that students, in particular, vastly underestimate how much effort will be required to commit material to memory. And they’re not the only ones. This leads to…

As well as commentary from a family memeber:

I normally don't comment on blogs about our family name but yours was so unusual and imaginative that I thought it only appropriate to add my thoughts. "Berenstain" according to our family lore was an attempt by an unknown imigration officer sometime in the late 1800s to reproduce phonetically a highly accented version of the tradtional Jewish name "Bernstein" as pronounced by my Father's grandparents when they came to America from the Ukraine. In that linguistic region, the name tended to come out sounding something like, "Ber'nsheytn". Since that's how the name was originally documented, it has always been spelled that way by our family and it has always been misread and mispronounced by nearly everyone. It has always been "The BerenstAin Bears". Your parallel reality theory is very resourceful but, unfortunately, by applying Occam's razor, we arrive at the explanation that most people have just misread the name.Mike Berenstain (Son of Stan and Jan)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

The author of the blog you are basing your opinion on has already said it was a joke:

I don't really believe we switched universes.

You really should stop digging once you have seen the original books, which all clearly say BerenSTAIN. Physical proof should immediately stop this silly conversation, which was started as a silly joke by a smart guy who remembered wrong.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

That person also shies away from anything conspiracy, paranormal, or just plain "out there" related.

Who is "That person"? Are you referring to the blogger? The one who started this or someone else?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I have a theory. My wife and I both remember Stein. My brother remembers it this way. Today at Walmart, I asked two random women what the name was. They both said Stein. I showed them a DVD of the BerenStain Bears.The younger woman replied, "isn't it spelled in a German way?" And the older woman with two children said. " Nope, that's wrong."

Now my theory.

On December 21, 2012, some of us, most of us ascended into the next demention, realm, age, etc.

This next level that we are at now, is very much the same. Sure it does not look like a utopia, new age, mystical place. But it is in fact, different. It seems like some of us have retained some memories of our former universe. Most of us, for some reason have retained this Berenstien way of spelling.

Now the flip side to the coin.

There are some people that remember it spelled Stain. The reason for this is, in this current universe we are all in now, also had a 12/21/12 and these people DID NOT ascend into their next level.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

If this makes you so upset, then why do you keep coming back to this thread?

And I would appreciate it if you would not tell me what to do.
I'll stop digging when I'm good and ready.
Thank you very much.

IMO it still doesn't explain all the other people who remember it as being written with an -e.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Thank you for running this down.

That picture was my last hope of sanity; I was clinging to the idea that we had all encountered misprints. Yet, I think it's important that we know it was not real.

It seems clear to me that the only options left are that we are all chemically imbalanced and probably a danger to ourselves and others, or there has been some alteration in the time line of the universe we find ourselves in due to our near death experiences, or the Matrix has been reprogrammed and you are one of those tasked with reprogramming us. Clearly, no rational person could simply misremember such an vital and important detail and wonder aloud why so many others have similar memories.

I will meditate on this all tonight. Perhaps after much prayer and fasting I will come to Truth. Thank you for your concern over my "irrational" "addiction" and false memories. What I would have done without your condescending assistance, I will never know.

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join