It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very weird theory that I found on the Internet

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: raedar

Why so crass?

I'm not. Sugar-free sometimes maybe. Why the off topic inquiry?

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

If I answer that, this will never end.

I like this topic and wish you a fine day!

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

No, you're missing the whole point...

The old books say "stain" because they have been changed.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: raedar

I like this topic and wish you a fine day!

I like it too. I'm blown away by the lengths some people will go to in an effort to avoid admitting they're wrong.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: thisguy27

This is freaking me out...I LOVED the Berenstein bears growing up, and 100% remember it being BerenstEin bears, not BerenstAin bears...am I going crazy?

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Signals

No, you're missing the whole point...

The old books say "stain" because they have been changed.

Then how do you explain the fact that I (as I mentioned in a post a few pages back) distinctly and specifically remember that the name ended in "stain" because my young cousin, together with whom I would read the books back in the 1980s, would make a joke about "bare" and "stain" (as I explained before, the joke had to do with dirty underwear -- which to my 8 to 10 year old boy cousin, was a very funny joke).

I distinctly remember that play-on-words with the name of the books, so I distinctly remember it was always "BerensTAIN".

Plus, there is also the fact that the son of the Authors -- Mike Berenstain -- also says his name and his parents name has always been "Berenstain". You would think (of all people) he would have noticed if it wasn't.

No -- it is simply a misspelling, and an understandable one, considering how names ending in "stein" are very common, while names ending in "stain" are not. If it wasn't for my little cousin and his juvenile joke back in the 1980s, I probably would have mistakenly remembered it as "stein" also.

edit on 6/21/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Nope, me and my friends at the time were as juvenile as they come...and we would have made the same "stain" connection too, but we didn't.

It was still stein then on my timeline.

Your timeline convergence happened earlier.

Dae

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
All through school I was interested in silent letters, like in tsunami, pterodactyl, and such. One such word was Dilemna, the n being silent, I always remember spelling it that way. Years later, I'm reading a book and I see the spelling "Dilemma" I think huh? That's an easy word, why did they get that wrong. I look in the different dictionaries that I have access to, online included, and not one shows the spelling I grew up with.

You have floored me here! Dilemna! lol the squiggly red lines are funny. I am a poor speller but I have gotten better over the years. I am familiar with hearing the sounds in my head DI-LEM-NA to help spell the word. So I do a google.

www.dilemna.info...

It's a real DILEMNA!
How should I spell it?

Are you one of possibly millions* worldwide that have always spelled the word with an 'n' as DilemNa and have been shocked to find that you are absolutely and categorically 'wrong' because the word has apparently always been spelled with a double 'm' as 'Dilemma'....?

This dilemna is in complete opposite to the whole spelling laziness theory, which is a good one for Berenstain/stein, but fails for dilemma - looks weird! Go look at the article (everyone!) and read the comments *head blown*

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I have no problem admitting that I am wrong, and will admit that in this case it is entirely possible. However, after reading hundreds of peoples personal experiences as to why they are so sure it is BerenstEin, and asking about 20 friends(who all distinctly remembered it with an E) I have to say it is still possible something else is going on.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Euphem

I have to say it is still possible something else is going on.

What do you think that something is?

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I am beside myself..... I feel like my childhood is ruined. I dug out my old copy of one of the books and was blown away it said stAin I read those books hundreds of times as stein!

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
>>
Are you one of possibly millions* worldwide that have always spelled the word with an 'n' as DilemNa
>>

No. Certainly not.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People
The fact is that it was BerenstAIN (I call it a fact because I have said earlier why I have a specific reason I know it is "--stain")...

I respect that is your truth as you lived it. Allow me a moment to explain my own.

I was reading well before Age 5, and was also an avid and frequent answer seeking child; to wit I one day asked my Mother "How do you pronounce Berenstein?"

Now my Mother grew up on a farm and was very isolated in that the nearest community was indeed quite tiny; she also left school at an early age. Her answer was that it was pronounced "stain". (She had no knowledge of Jewish surnames, nor their pronunciation.) A precocious child, I proclaimed that could not possibly be correct, as it wasn't SPELLED that way, it was spelled "stein".

Just as surely as your memory has stayed with you, my version - albeit different - has also stayed with me. We were very poor when I was a child so the owning of books was a luxury and the amount owned was preciously small. As a toddler I had 5 core books, read over and again, the supplement being library books. You can imagine that I knew those books inside and out - including the spelling of the authors' surname. So it is due to that knowledge and memory that I stand by my recollection.

Assuredly, we cannot both be right, and just as assuredly (given the context of our memories) we cannot both be wrong.

Which means there must be an alternate explanation. While I don't know what that is, nor have I any bias as to what it might be - I am willing to believe that the possibility exists, outside of the scope of a "rational" explanation.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
You know what? I have waffled about posting this for long enough, so I might as well already...the "nagging feeling" to post the following will simply not let me be...

Perhaps this is one way we can find our "tribe". In this instance, I am meaning tribe as "people whom we resonate with". And all I can say is that I mean that we may resonate on other issues, perhaps for a reason(?), with the Berenstein/stain issue being a guidepost of sorts.

To what end, I haven't a clue. But I AM being nudged to post this for whatever reason. Sorry kids, that's as clear as I can make the "feeling".
edit on 21-6-2014 by MoonBlossom because: Comprehension

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Pretty sure I always thought of it and remembered it as Berenstein too.

EastAsia has ALWAYS been at war with Eurasia. Sound familiar?

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Lol, dude I called my mom about it too. She remembered it as stein too.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: MoonBlossom

The real kicker is the curiously common phenomenon of false memories. But if we really want to get whacky, perhaps false memories are connected to the hypotheses in the OP link. Reality is strange isn't it?

As noted earlier, I too distinctly remember stein.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I'm 34 years old, and I DISTINCTLY and specifically remember the books and title as Berenstein. If something has been tampering with our memories, or fabric of reality, or whatever you want to call it, did we all just expose it?

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I have no idea.

I suppose a matrix like reality, or maybe even alternate dimensions/universes partially coming together due to some unknown force/element manipulating the fabric of space and time.

Of course I know that sounds crazy, but so are most things in this universe.

Occam's Razor is the most logical answer, it always is, which is just that millions of kids mistook the A as an E.

However, in this scenario I am still not able to accept that answer. I know memory is far from perfect, but why is it every single one of my friends and family I have asked(without loading the question) said they were 100% positive it was an E? Why not at least like 50% of them?

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Euphem
Occam's Razor is the most logical answer, it always is, which is just that millions of kids mistook the A as an E.

To me, this is where Occam's Razor fails. You can just pick any old explanation that is somewhat supported by the evidence, but because it makes sense to a particular individual, it's called an explanation. Occam's sometimes leaves people grasping at mundane straws; I wish they were aware of how silly this looks.

To me, mistaking letters like 'a' and 'e' (how many of us admitted to being spelling nerds in primary school already?) is just silly. Come on, we were at that age where we actually paid attention to letters and words and pronunciations.

None of us read Winnia The Poob, right? If it's just that easy to mistake one letter for another...

That's just as silly an explanation as anything else.

I'm not saying there's a glitch in the matrix, or that some of us time warped into your -stain universe, but I'm also finding these explanations equally silly, such as "you mistook one letter for another because you were an inattentive child...and it happened on a mass scale with numerous other inattentive children...and now you're all struggling to maintain this illusion...because you're idiots." That explanation requires a lot of supposition!

I'm willing to rest on the fact that reality and perception is a very flexible and dynamic thing, and that none of us really understands the full scope of what our universe is all about. Some sure like to pretend they're experts though.

edit on 21-6-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join