It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very weird theory that I found on the Internet

page: 102
<< 99  100  101    103  104  105 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: LoneCloudHopper2
A lot of people remember "definitely" being spelled "definately," myself included. I'm wondering how many people remember the latter spelling/pronunciation. As a writer this intrigued me when I first noticed it a few years ago. In the current reality, this is considered the most misspelled word in the English language (go figure..!)

Another one is "dilemna." I clearly remember being taught this in school because of the odd spelling: "-mna." The "N" just confuses you as a kid. Obviously, it's silent. However, now the correct way of spelling it is: "dilemma!" It's as if someone has 'dumbed down' the word. Many people remember it quite vividly.

Okay...this just got really weird for me.

I have been reading a bit of this thread every now and then, and I have found it fascinating. But, today when I read this post about the spelling of "dilemma/dilemma", I got even more interested. I am a spelling Nazi! I am the one some in my circle go to to proofread things because I can usually find the slightest spelling error.

This poster is 100% correct, imo, about this word. I remember thinking the word "dilemma" was misspelled when I first noticed it. Discovering that the "n" had been changed to an "m" baffled me because I knew without a doubt that it had always been spelled with a silent "n". 100% sure of this!

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: LoneCloudHopper2

Why do non-English speakers not have the same issue? Why is it Predominately English speakers who remember it wrong?

Did you completely ignore my previous request for you to answer the following?

What does Finite mean? What does Finate mean? Hint: Finite is a word, Finate is not. Definite is a word, Definate is not.

Tell, me, do you remember Infinite or Infinate? Same root as Definite...

Dilemna Is a pox on the education system. At some points books mistakenly printed the wrong spelling of the word.

The errant spelling dilemna is often seen in common usage. It appears to have been taught in many areas of the United States and all over the world, including (but not limited to) France, England, Jamaica and Australia.[1][2][3] There is no prima facie reason for this substitution error and there is no erroneous parallel to be found with the word lemma, from which dilemma derives.

So you are probably correct there in that you were incorrectly taught the wrong spelling of the word.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

See my post above. No Mandela effect there, that was a real thing. Textbooks have been found with the incorrect spelling of the word in many countries.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

So a gut feeling that your memory is correct. Got it.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

See my post above. No Mandela effect there, that was a real thing. Textbooks have been found with the incorrect spelling of the word in many countries.

Thanks for clarifying that. I feel better...lol! I no longer spell it with an "n", but it had bothered me for some time to think I may have misspelled it for many years.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Dang! There is a whole discussion about this dilemna...oops, I mean dilemma...on this webpage:
dilemna.info...

They THINK it may have been taught wrong, but they aren't totally sure. Weird.
edit on 7-10-2015 by queenofswords because: spelling correction...lol

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
One if the wiki sources gave dozens of quotes from text books with the wrong spelling.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

Why do non-English speakers not have the same issue? Why is it Predominately English speakers who remember it wrong?

That is an interesting question. How do we know if they do or don't have the same issue though? I only understand English so it would be interesting if someone looked into whether or not they are having similar issues.

Star for you on that one.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Another question:

Why don't any Africans (from any nation) think Mandela died in the past? Why is it only Western Nations (again it seems to be specifically the US and Canada)

Find me a Nigerian or South African who think Mandela died before he really did...I can't find one.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

A lot of people remember "definitely" being spelled "definately," myself included. I'm wondering how many people remember the latter spelling/pronunciation. As a writer this intrigued me when I first noticed it a few years ago. In the current reality, this is considered the most misspelled word in the English language (go figure..!)

Another one is "dilemna." I clearly remember being taught this in school because of the odd spelling: "-mna." The "N" just confuses you as a kid. Obviously, it's silent. However, now the correct way of spelling it is: "dilemma!" It's as if someone has 'dumbed down' the word. Many people remember it quite vividly.

I have been reading a bit of this thread every now and then, and I have found it fascinating. But, today when I read this post about the spelling of "dilemma/dilemma", I got even more interested. I am a spelling Nazi! I am the one some in my circle go to to proofread things because I can usually find the slightest spelling error.

This poster is 100% correct, imo, about this word. I remember thinking the word "dilemma" was misspelled when I first noticed it. Discovering that the "n" had been changed to an "m" baffled me because I knew without a doubt that it had always been spelled with a silent "n". 100% sure of this!

Thank you so much for sharing this, queenofswords. A lot of the people whom I've heard (or read) speak confidently about their memories are experts in the field in which a change occurred (be it English, geography, etc.) To most people they'd probably just assumed they remembered it wrong and shrug it off. But for some of us the memory is too vivid and certain to shake off. Being a writer, I remember this spelling clearly as well.
edit on 8-10-2015 by LoneCloudHopper2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

That is actually a legitimate question. It would be interesting to hear what people in South Africa remember. So far, it seems that people living in a certain area affected by the Mandela Effect (changed) do not remember it the old way. A lot of people, myself included, remember New Zealand being north of Australia and Australia being further out into the ocean, on its own. A lot of people from New Zealand itself do not remember their country positioned differently, like Australians do not seem to remember their country being positioned differently. However, I did encounter one person from Australia who remembers New Zealand being positioned as I remember it. Interesting for sure.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Seraii

Yes, it's forever bizarre! In a way it's like going back to playing an old game like Super Mario Bros. and, while playing, you realize that some of the colours are wrong, some locations have changed and Princess Daisy has a yellow dress. There are also various misspellings, etc. Well, you'd be a bit freaked (or spooked) but of course you'd know the game was just bugging out.

With the Mandela Effect it's actual reality, something we take so literally, seriously, as if it is stable and could not and should not change. Yet, for many of us it has (and in such minor ways, for the most part.) It is freaky because of how huge this is to grasp, and stranger still due to such minor things, like specific spellings or wordings, which grab us the most. All I can say is, thank God I'm not the only one! I could have gone insane!

edit on 8-10-2015 by LoneCloudHopper2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Has anyone asked them? That would be interesting to know for sure.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I have several Nigerian friends and family in SA. They think it's a dumb question. I admit that is anecdotal at best.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I recently discovered a new Mandela Effect about Haley's Comet. As I ended up including a lot of evidence I decided to post it as its own thread here.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I'm not going to waste my time in that thread because if you puthalf an ounce of effort in you would know that isn't a Mandela effect. Some people thought it was actually Haley and it got printed as such many times.

Edit: I personally said and spelled it wrong as I was taught wrong in school. I was corrected in college.

edit on 10-10-2015 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Oh, so you acknowledge the Mandela Effect as a phenomenon? I thought you were against it completely?

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I am against it, but the Madela effect means you remember one thing, along with other people, but can find NO secular source to back up your claim. Berenstain Bears would be an example. Halley's comet is an example of something that many secular sources simply got wrong because they were going off someone who had been long dead. Same with Dilemna, many sources just got it wrong, especially in the late 1800's and it carried over to as recently as the 1980's.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

You could be right. The only reason why I would question that is because there are variations in the spelling/pronunciation of different Mandela Effect cases, documented online, in the past. I thought it was probably the same here. But at this point is does look quite possible that "Haley's Comet" may not be an example of the Mandela Effect. It might have been verified, for me, if someone involved with science or astrology had a specific memory of it being "Haley's Comet," but I haven't found any examples of that yet.
edit on 11-10-2015 by LoneCloudHopper2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

I am not sure I understand the purpose or aim of this thread, and of this part of it in particular.
Yes, I definitely remember definitely being misspelt (or misspelled) "definately", too.
I also remember it being misspelled as "defiantly" (there are several instances of this spelling to be found on this very site). So?
Surely we all know by now that the internet revealed just how many people suffer from abysmal spelling skills.

As for dilemma.... There never was any dilemma about its spelling in the mind of anyone who knows how to spell - or to perform a simple search for the etymology of words, for that matter. "Dilemna" is a well-known, long-standing misspelling, by people who don't know, or choose to ignore, the origin of the term: di-lemma (δίλημμα), ancient Greek.

Are any of you suggesting that ancient Greek, a "dead" language, has somehow changed in the past decade or two?

edit on 11-10-2015 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 99  100  101    103  104  105 >>

join