It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City Shuts Down Kid's Free Library Lending Box...Pathetic.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Watching that presentation highlights a sad state of affairs with the grossly inadequate and corrupt centralization of control. The way it plays out is that since America's army is too powerful to take head on, a Trojan horse play will smash the nation from within.

Having the next generation happy to work in sweat shops on minimum wage or go off to war with out question may appeal to some, but I expect most people have higher expectations.

Any nation having a national education curriculum in not necessarily a bad thing, but how it is built, defined and works is of a national discourse. With a small, wealthy and private self interests at play once again it has bad news written all over it.

Getting back on topic with this thread, as long as the free library could stand up to the elements (wind, rain, ect) I do not see any health and safety issues with it. How many complaints has the council got over its removal compared to its establishment? If the council gets a stronger community voice for these free libraries rather than against them then it will have something to consider and help change this decision.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Ugh. Yeah, Leawood is one of the "swank" suburbs here. Doesn't surprise me a bit that some snob jerk complained to the city. We have a guy like that on our street, too...the neighbor wanted to raise chickens, and put up a 4-foot hogwire fence and the old fart complained.

(And in THIS neighborhood, an old, established suburb in a different county, you can do just about anything as long as 'the neighbors don't complain'. It's FAR more 'resident-friendly', down to earth, and old-fashioned Midwestern kindness. I actually KNOW my neighbors. I bet this kid doesn't know any of the families except maybe the other kids' families who he goes to school with.)

Some people just don't like kids, and will make trouble whenever they can.

Coding violation? Give me a break. I salute the kid for attaching it by a rope. Clever. If it was my kid, I'd build a permanent little library-box for him on the front stoop, on a post in concrete. "There. Now it's 'attached'."

*eyeroll*

That's one of the reasons I will NEVER, EVER live in Johnson County again. Too many pretentious people living in beige lego houses that all basically look the same. Ugh. Especially if there's a Home Owners Association.

"We empathize, but we have to follow the code," said the city official. What utter crap.
Thanks for posting this. Prairie Village, just north of Leawood is another, older suburb, it's clean, nice, safe, not as stuck-up...did you notice the little boxes are all over the place there, and "The City doesn't reinforce it."

This is just some pathetic a$$w!*e being cranky - unfortunately there are lots of them in some parts of this city. Like the opposite of ghetto.

edit on 6/20/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
"We empathize with him, but we still have to follow the rules."

No, you don't.
The only "rules" against a little boy giving away books are completely made up by people who just felt like making up imaginary rules. Kindof like an HOA deciding one day that neighbor Jim absolutely has to repaint his mailbox an approved color, or else all hell will break loose and society will devolve into anarchy and chaos.
Maybe these people could use some common *ing sense and say "Hey, there's actually nothing wrong with a little boy giving away books. Let's just let him do it."

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Bureaucracy. Steadily destroying common sense since 1776.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join