It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does this topic never comes up when comes to guns?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Onslaught2996
Should people who want nothing to do with guns be paying out of their own pockets to cover these bills for others?

You can make pretty much the same argument for anything; alcohol, automobiles, various foods, etc.

Yes, that is why there are laws and regulations around all those other things.

So if you admit those cause similar problems as guns do...why not support regulations on guns?

Your making my head hurt!

Regulations on guns? Are you serious? Damn! Google it dang it.

This isn't about regulating guns but the industry behind it. As I have stated before , and I work in that "industry", regulations don't do sh#.

Legislate insanity away. I dare you; it's impossible,

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

"Why does this topic never comes up when comes to guns?"

Q) Why?

A) Because nobody ever brought the topic up before.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Should people who want nothing to do with guns be paying out of their own pockets to cover these bills for others?

You can make pretty much the same argument for anything; alcohol, automobiles, various foods, etc.

Personally, I'd go with political misadventure. What's that been costing lately, a trillion and change a year in deficits caused by irresponsible politicians?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Personally, I'd go with political misadventure. What's that been costing lately, a trillion and change a year in deficits caused by irresponsible politicians?

Cheers - Dave

Dave's right gosh darnit. Ban Politicians...not guns. That will balance out the budget right quick.

That OK with you OP? We ban the real problem, not the made up one in your head...

Des

edit on 19-6-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   

And all this time I thought it was doctors and pharmacist mistakes that cost all that money. They kill far more people every year than guns do. Come to think of it, thats never been brought up either.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Cheers - Dave

Dave's right gosh darnit. Ban Politicians...not guns. That will balance out the budget right quick.

That OK with you OP? We ban the real problem, not the made up one in your head...

Des

And while your at it you might want to ban doctors and big-pharma as well since they kill more people through malpractice, bad drugs and mis-prescriptions than guns ever did.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
My Lazy Gun

My Gun

Today I swung my front door wide open and placed my Remington

30.06 right in the doorway. I left 6 shells beside it, then left it alone and went about my business.

While I was gone, the mailman delivered my mail, the neighbor boy across the street mowed the yard, a girl walked her dog down the street, and quite a few cars stopped at the stop sign near the front of our house.

After about an hour, I checked on the gun. It was still sitting there, right where I had left it. It hadn't moved itself outside. It certainly hadn't killed anyone, even with the numerous opportunities it had been presented to do so.

In fact, it hadn't even loaded itself.

Well you can imagine my surprise, with all the media hype about how dangerous guns are and how they kill people.

Either the media is wrong

or I'm in possession of

the laziest gun in the world.

Well, I'm off to check on my spoons. I hear they're making people fat.

The United States is 3rd in Murders throughout the World.

But if you take out Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC and New Orleans, the United States is 4th from the bottom for Murders.

These 4 Cities also have the toughest Gun Control Laws in the United States.

ALL 4 are controlled by Democrats.

It would be absurd to draw any conclusions from this data – right?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

That was excellent ANNED...simply excellent. I wish I had that on a poster, or a meme to post on Facebook.

Just wanted to let you know...one of the best things I've ever read regarding guns...

Thank You.

Des

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Why should people who want nothing to do with guns be paying out of their own pockets to cover these bills for others?

Why should I be paying school taxes amounting to many hundreds of dollars a year when I have no children?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix
Yes, that is why there are laws and regulations around all those other things.

So if you admit those cause similar problems as guns do...why not support regulations on guns?

Firearms are already heavily regulated and legal possession of a firearm, unlike a drivers license, consumption of alcohol or fatty foods, is a Constitutional right, not a privilege.

Additionally, the regulations on the ownership or possession of the other items I mentioned are not nearly as regulated or enforced.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Mornin',

No offence intended sir. Your heart is clearly in the right place...but if you want my gun?
I have a sneaky suspicion you're gonna have a whole heap of more medical bills for the public to pay...

-Peace-

edit on 20-6-2014 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Simple solution to all "cost of" conundrums and arguments:

Stop paying the cost of things.

Idiots and their behavior cease to be an expense when you stop paying for idiots and their behavior.

You cant complain that they cost then just keep on paying the cost. It's as if you just kept giving your crack-addict son money for more crack and complain about how much money your crack-addict son is costing you.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

The Public Health Cost of Gun Violence

The high figure underlines the need to treat gun violence in the U.S. as a public health issue as well as a law enforcement challenge, according to physicians and advocacy groups contacted by The Crime Report.

Gun Violence Costs Americans $5.6 Billion In Medical Bills Every Year

According to a Centers for Disease Control (CDC) study, nonfatal gun injuries and gun-related deaths cost the United States $5.6 billion in medical spending every year, and an additional $64.6 billion when accounting for the lost productivity that stems from gun-related violence:

How Guns And Violence Cost Every American $564 In 2010

the numbers are too burdensome on the mind, and on the wallet, to ignore and deserve a place in the on-going debate over what, if any, regulations should come.

Are people really OK with these numbers? Should gun manufacturers be held liable for these injuries? How about gun owners?

Why should people who want nothing to do with guns be paying out of their own pockets to cover these bills for others?

Why should law abiding people and companies be held responsible for the misuse of something by criminals? The people at fault and those entirely in the blame are those who misuse something, not those who manufacture it or those who use the item in question in a safe and law abiding manner. Do you blame Jack Daniels and/or Ford for drunk driving?

As for the last bit. I don't smoke, so why should I pay for someone with emphysema?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

"Why does this topic never comes up when comes to guns?"

Q) Why?

A) Because nobody ever brought the topic up before.

Actually, I've heard this a lot form left wing politicians and from progressives in the CDC and AMA.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

No, we should hold the shooters responsible.

What ever happened to being responsible for one's own actions? Why must we (since the 90s?) blame anyone and everyone else for our shortcomings?

There is something rotten at the core that causes the gun violence these days. Guns attract the attention, but what about that guy attacking people with a knife? What about that woman who ran her car into a group of people intentionally? What about that gang that beat the crap out of the old guy?

Unless we address the root causes violence of any kind will not go away, it will rear it's head using whatever weapon is convenient at the moment.

When I was in high school it was no big deal to see pickups in the parking lot with rifles mounted in the back windows. And yet, for some strange reason, we had no fear of being shot up in school...nary a worry, nary a thought of it. This was back in the late 60s, early 70s.

What has changed? I have my opinions that involve parenting, that involve parents and teachers putting students on drugs to "calm" them. That involves a culture that has a pill to fix everything. I think parents these days are more self centered and spend less quality time with their kids in general. I think often parents fail to teach their kids the simple lesson of: There are consequences of your actions.

What is the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist?

Psychiatrists get cramps writing so many prescriptions for their patients. Better living through chemistry!

Psychologists do not write prescriptions but will deal directly with the root causes of whatever problem you are seeing them about.

The answer, IMO, is not gun control. It's violence control...let's get to the root cause of violence and then we can feel safer.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Medical bills need to be paid by the person receiving the care. Very simple.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
My Lazy Gun

My Gun

Today I swung my front door wide open and placed my Remington

30.06 right in the doorway. I left 6 shells beside it, then left it alone and went about my business.

While I was gone, the mailman delivered my mail, the neighbor boy across the street mowed the yard, a girl walked her dog down the street, and quite a few cars stopped at the stop sign near the front of our house.

After about an hour, I checked on the gun. It was still sitting there, right where I had left it. It hadn't moved itself outside. It certainly hadn't killed anyone, even with the numerous opportunities it had been presented to do so.

In fact, it hadn't even loaded itself.

Well you can imagine my surprise, with all the media hype about how dangerous guns are and how they kill people.

Either the media is wrong

or I'm in possession of

the laziest gun in the world.

Well, I'm off to check on my spoons. I hear they're making people fat.

The United States is 3rd in Murders throughout the World.

But if you take out Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC and New Orleans, the United States is 4th from the bottom for Murders.

These 4 Cities also have the toughest Gun Control Laws in the United States.

ALL 4 are controlled by Democrats.

It would be absurd to draw any conclusions from this data – right?

Fantastic post! Typical govt reaction to a problem is to band-aid the symptoms. Ignore the root cause.

What is the root cause of violence in America these days? Should we not be examining and addressing root causes as opposed to screwing around with Rights?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I think that vehicle manufacturers and sales should foot the bill for vehicle accidents.

I think that restaurants and utensil manufacturers should foot the bill for obesity.

Stupid argument. If your finger gets infected and hurts, should you address the infection or the pain as a solution? Seems our fed can only think of addressing symptoms of issues and never the root causes.

Address the root causes not the symptoms.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Please do a cost study comparison to review how much money is saved when law breakers are killed by guns thus saving the prison and legal system copious amounts of cash.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Firearms are already heavily regulated

You have got to be kidding me.

It's easier to get a gun than it is to get a drivers license.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join