It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

My constant companion..... Insomnia

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 07:11 AM

originally posted by: Doodle19815
Here it is, the middle of the afternoon for me, and I am drained. I keep walking around this house thinking of all the things I should be accomplishing. Instead this record is on repeat saying, I am so tired, I just can't do it right now.

Insomnia has been my constant companion for years now. Sometimes it hits by not being able to go to sleep, other times I wake in the middle of the night WIDE awake. Wide awake as in I feel like I could jump out of bed and run a marathon. I hate those nights.....

It comes in waves. For months I'll sleep like a baby, then it hits. My first night I just doze never going deep under, then comes weeks of hell.

My recent bout has me waking at 3am with marathon running energy. (If I wouldn't wake the whole house I would put it to good use.) Problem is, I can't sleep during the day to make up for what I lost. I have children that need attended to. I have meals to cook, laundry to do, and errands that need ran.

I remember reading on ATS a couple years ago about the body needing some sort of nutrients if you wake up at specific times of the night. I did a search on ATS, and most of the results were about paranormal 3am experiences. (I won't go into my paranormal world right now. I don't think this is the cause at this time.)

Anybody remember where the chart of needed nutrients went? I am willing to try anything at this point! I have tried all sorts of remedies recommended by dr.s, friends, and family. Nothing helps....

Thanks in advance for any info.

Your answers lay within nutrition and exercise.
Start running and training with your bodyweight.
Drink 3L of water a day, and sip it... not down it.
Food - wholesome food from the land. Stop touching anything that has ingredients in that are more relatable to industry standard cleaning products that the natural world.

Zinc, Magnesium, and Melatonin.

If you are not doing these 3 things then sorry chap but you're an idiot.
They are freely available, simple to do and well lets be honest; our bodies evolved using this blueprint, get back to basics.

If we can't do the fundamentals then what do you expect ???

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:51 PM
I know the feeling. Although I have suffered from Insomnia all my (relatively short, no kids yet) life, it's intermintent. Sometimes I can't sleep at all for a few weeks apart in a year, other times once a week all year, other times entire months go with baby-like slumber, and then BAM- insufferable insomnia for days.

My last "episode" was just a few weeks ago. It just triggered out of the blue, with a new fun twist; tachycardia or rapid heartbeat. Every goddamn time I was about to fall asleep, boom went my heart. Like a war drum calling out the troops. Almost painful. And indescribably frustrating.

Some sort og anxiety attack apparently. Oh well.

Anyway, I'm trying a couple of new things, which seem to work at the moment:

Eat a kiwi fruit every night, about 1-2 hours before laying down, it's being studied for it's seratonin inducing properties.

Have a couple of cookies, and/or cereal, at the same time I'm having my kiwi fruit.

Maybe a croissant or a sandwich. The point is to have some carbs before going to bed, digesting them makes me drowsy. "Mal del puerco" or Pig Disease, we call it here in good ol' Mexico. Not too much of course, gotta keep the figure

And lastly, apart from discarding all sodas and caffeine from my daily routine (which has been one of the most difficult tasks I've ever tried to accomplish) I have an infusion we call here "Te de tila", I'm not sure what it's called in the colonies. Tila tea? Anyway, it calms the nerves quite nicely.

For personal preference, I walk my husky about half an hour before bed, and have a relaxing smoke. Tobacco, not cannabis. Cannabis I've found is all over the place, sometimes it helps, sometimes it just increases my anxiety about not being able to sleep.

I try to do a couple of hours of gym everyday, but realistically only manage to go three days a week, plus a day where I do yoga, and another for swiming. But I agree with most people here, excercise is paramount.

Best cure though, make love. Have sex. Do the horizontal salsa. Seriously!

Best of luck with your insomnia, Odin knows it's a bloody nightmare.

Pun intended. Cheers!

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 06:04 AM
Here, here!!

Top answer!!!! Hahahaa a reply to: JoeTheJoe

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 12:43 AM
a reply to: Doodle19815

My solution for insomnia:

1. Purchase magnesium chloride flakes (really cheap)

2. Make a 25% solution with water. May use up to 50%. It stings at higher concentration. If you have sensitive skin, start with 15 or 20%.

3. Put this in a spray bottle.

4. Spray it on 30 minutes before going to bed.

5. I personally put a little bit of glycerin with it. It is a humectant, attracts water, and makes sure you're skin doesn't get too much dried salt on you.

Hope this helps,

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:55 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Luckily for me right now, I am at a good point.

I have completely eliminated any and all caffeine at the moment.

I am exercising at the exact same time every day. (This really seems to help.)

I will follow up if I have another round with my insomnia. I am only trying a few things each time, that helps me keep track of what is useful.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:03 AM

Glad you are finding things that work!

I went through several years of insomnia. In the end, the only thing I found that helped was hard labor.
Wearing yourself out beyond what you think should be enough.

I still have issues with waking up late at night, although not nearly as often anymore. I also started to take melatonin at night for when I seem to be waking up a lot. It does seem to help somewhat, but not enough and heavy sleeping pills are a no no for me as I am very sensitive to them and will sleep for 3 days on half a dose.

So all I can do when insomnia strikes is some very hard physical labor,
and that cures it almost every time. Only then I wake up with leg cramps from working so hard.

edit on 10-8-2014 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:24 AM
Good stuff!!

I usually, have a few beers every odd night a week, but i plan to cut out altogether - heres why

I will keep a few beers in the fridge for emergency, that im using will power to use to avoid, i had friday off work last week, and i havnt had a beer since - also on 3 sleepless nights in a row, but im willing to go a forth. I figure, my sleep problems only started when i was an adult, also when i started work and beer. If i selpt just fine every night before, for 20 years i can do it again.

I think its hard this last week as we have had some major wind and rain rattling the windows, like last night.

Been thinking of getting some of these, i didnt know they did "sleeping safe ones". I never bought ear plugs before because i roll around when im getting to sleep, i thought normal ones might get pushed into my ear.

edit on b32321003 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:05 PM
im in the same boat. for the past 2 years i have been on a rotation of about 5 hours of sleep and then no sleep for almost 3 days. im tired all the time. nothing really helps. i was in an accident about 18 months ago and lost a finger and its been worse since then but i have always had problems
i think some people just have insomnia with no real reason. im no doctor so i could be wrong but its my opinion.
ive heard it all and had it all suggested to me
no more of this or that food
no more coffee
x amount of excercise
total darkness
yoga etc etc
strict schedule of when to lay down

none of it works.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:55 PM

My recent bout has me waking at 3am with marathon running energy.

Below is a rather interesting article - especially about waking up at same time.

When specific times are involved this has to do with the acupuncture meridian system and its relationship to certain organs at those times. ...Between 1am and 3am is liver. This is the most common time a person wakes up and is due to many reasons.
the Power of Sleep

He goes on to say 3 to 5 is lungs - which was my problem - allergies, sinus. Now it's changed. I keep the bedroom as dark as possible. I have moved my clock away from my bed and covered it so I don't see the light from it.

Things I have tried: Tryptophan - that worked really well for awhile - not any more. Melatonin - made me feel weird but going to try cutting pill in half and smaller dose as another poster said - smaller amounts! Am currently trying 5-Htp which has worked the best. I take one before bed and when really bad on in the morning too. Also - Tart Cherry Juice as it contains natural melatonin. That one worked really well for quite awhile but it's out of season, hard to find and expensive now!

Am also pushing to get to bed earlier - 11:00 pm at the latest. Currently I wake up at 5 or 6. If I get to bed by 11 then get 6 or 7 hrs depending. I really need a minimum of 7!! Closer to 8 is better. A lot of mine right now is STRESS!!

It is a whole lot harder to figure out though as in your case when it keeps changing!

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 10:06 PM
Once I fall asleep, I sleep like a rock and don't wake up for ANYTHING. However, my problem is *getting* to sleep. I cannot and will not get into bed until I am drop dead deliriously tired. Going to bed at 3 am is early for me. Most times it's 5-6 am when I finally crawl into bed. I sleep like the dead until 10:30 or 11. I feel just as tired upon waking as I do before falling asleep. Then I have a full day of busting ass and getting nothing done. Seriously. For instance yesterday, I decided to power clean my kitchen. I had worked an hour then I noticed the exhaust fan above the stove. Can anyone see where I'm going with this?
I tore that sucker apart, took off every piece, every nut and bolt, etc , soaked them, scrubbed, made them glisten, and I'm now on day 2, which was spent re-assembling and re-installing it. So, yep, my power cleaning was a complete failure. But there's always tomorrow................
Sorry, like my power cleaning, I got a little distracted.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:46 AM
Here it is 4:45 am, and I can't sleep. I did get in bed at 3:30 and just laid there until I couldn't stand it anymore.
So, here I am.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:45 AM
a reply to: virraszto

I am sorry to hear it! I absolutely hate those nights....

I did start trying to make up a "sleep log". One of the things that helped calm my mind when I woke during the night was to start noting things through the day I had done. I just kept my iPad by the bedside and would grab it when I woke. It calmed my mind and proved useful to have a log of sorts. For instance, I found that bananas (strangely) were giving me heartburn if eaten at night, (they are supposed to help with heartburn which is why I was eating them).

Just taking the time to think over my lulled me back to sleepiness...

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:45 AM
a reply to: CassandraX

Thank you, that is the sort of thing I was searching for in the Op.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>