It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's this guy Tommy Emmanuel? Watch him shred blues like you've never seen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Was browsing some blues and I came upon this guy just blow me away. Reading some of the comments and it seems he taught Stevie Ray Vaughan a thing or two. Looks like the old dog sure knows how to play...

Embedding did't work. Try this link
edit on 19-6-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
This should work,

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

G,day mate.
well picked. Tommy is an Aussie.well known and well liked.
works the crowds really well
when bose, the speaker, people first demo-ed their hifi/speaker systems in South Australia back in the late 80's they used tommy's music. i was there.
the bloke is also a bible believing christian.
edit on 19-6-2014 by pronto because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: pronto
a reply to: smurfy

G,day mate.
well picked. Tommy is an Aussie.well known and well liked.
works the crowds really well
when bose, the speaker, people first demo-ed their hifi/speaker systems in South Australia back in the 80's they used tommy's music. i was there.
the bloke is also a bible believing christian.

He most sure get through a lot of strings with all that doubling up on the plec. I notice too that they are pretty heavy gauge, you can see that when he tries a bit of string bending, you won't get much than a sharp.
Great sound from the Vox amp, I think it says Vox AC 30/2, I'm not familiar with that amp, but it sounds very much like the original AC30 with top cut, which was a piggy back too, whereas the AC30 was amp and speaker combined.
Whatever, his style of playing for that length of time requires a heap of physical stamina.

BTW, have you seen the WONGA ad, Ben Lapps and Mike Dawes slapping their guitars, (Mike Dawes is cartoon 'Earl' ) just a short piece.

This is Ben Lapps entirely on his own,

I would say the strings are more elevated than the norm, again a lovely sound.

edit on 19-6-2014 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

I think with music I sometimes enjoy watching older folks who are amazing more than anything else. Kind of inspiration to keep on trying to improve.

Anyone feel like a complete loser anytime one of those videos of amazing seven year olds pops up? Like ones who can shred guitar or who can play piano better than almost anyone.

I just think....

"Geez...I'm almost 30."

I always feel inspired to see stuff like this. Makes me want to go practice.

The video was awesome and I had never heard of this man before. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Anyone feel like a complete loser anytime one of those videos of amazing seven year olds pops up? Like ones who can shred guitar or who can play piano better than almost anyone.

Lol You know it. Makes me want to smash my guitar and cut off my fingers.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I know a lot of guitarists who can play this well and better. I'm from a musical family so this guy doesn't impress me much. no offense. I mean, he's a good player but nothing "incredible" about him. Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Everyone keeps saying how old he is, geeez Im depressed now, he was THE geeetah man in my day. I'm trying to remember the name of the kid he played with for a while...anyone?

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

There's always one of those people...

How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb? Five. One to do it and the other four to say they can do it better.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Cool thread- I go to a bluegrass festival which is held yearly, in KS- When I was growing up Tommy Emmanuel was there one year ,maybe more), sometime in the late 90s. HSaw him at the KiMo Theatre in ABQ, great show. I also like Pete Huttlinger, check him out on Youtube. a reply to: FlySolo

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   
"I know a lot of guitarists who can play this well and better. I'm from a musical family so this guy doesn't impress me much. no offense. I mean, he's a good player but nothing "incredible" about him. Just my opinion"
Sounds like kind of a schmo... no offense, just my opinion

Or, well, how bout naming a guitarist YOU admire or appreciate?

It's neat when talent & ambition meet a bit of luck & opportunity. Cool thread OP, thanks for reminding me about some musicians I havent listened to in awhile.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Nathan Cavaleri

Bringing back memories of them playing on Hey Hey it's Saturday now..

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I thought this sounded familiar. Here's SRV playing Rude Mood on a 12 string.

Props to Tommy though, it's very difficult to play an acoustic like that. Love his enthusiasm too.

edit on 6/20/2014 by CastleMadeOfSand because: Info.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: kkrattiger
"I know a lot of guitarists who can play this well and better. I'm from a musical family so this guy doesn't impress me much. no offense. I mean, he's a good player but nothing "incredible" about him. Just my opinion"
Sounds like kind of a schmo... no offense, just my opinion

Or, well, how bout naming a guitarist YOU admire or appreciate?

It's neat when talent & ambition meet a bit of luck & opportunity. Cool thread OP, thanks for reminding me about some musicians I havent listened to in awhile.

I didn't say anywhere in my post that the guy was a "schmo"! You altered my post. I've never used that word to describe anyone in my life. If you've ever been around the mountains, or Nashville, you will hear unknown guitarists who will shatter the ego of even the best guitarists out there. It's absolutely true. It's been that way for a long, long time. Watch the old episodes of Hee Haw.

As far as who I like or admire is irrelevant in this case. The guy is good but he is nothing special. He really isn't. I don't mean it as an insult, it's just the truth.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
That's it, I quit!

Absolutely genius.

new topics

top topics

join