It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama: Statement on Iraq - Live

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Ahh that was Ergodan , he's just protecting his investment
there’s a pipeline from Kurdistan to Turkey and that is what will protect Kurds in Iraq from the suni-shia sectarian conflict ( i think, though you never know with these peeps)

If you want a steady flow of Iraqi oil back in to Turkey, your best ploy is for the country’s most stable group to break away, aka the Kurds.... grab the oil assets they can.
I wish my local betting agency would allow bets on that, thanks for the link.
edit on 19-6-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Whats IN there......thats what I want to know

What do you suspect? Centralised base for Middle eastern Intel operations? Ancient Iraqui treasures? a secret oil pipeline from the north? Now that's a great discussion!

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

woah, did they build that new? Or did they take over existing buildings. I ask as it looks palace like.
I imagine if you are the key force in a 10 year war that you will build a pretty imposing home base. Yeah, they will protect that.

Yep, the link I posted above is from Business Insider, it has a lot of pictures and descriptions. Apparently it cost $751 million. It has it's own wells for water, irrigation, sewage, and power plant. There's a shopping center too for the employees and contractors to spend their "hazard pay".

That thing is massive. Yeah, we're not going to just hand that huge compound over to the Iraqi's or ISIL/ISIS.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
We are sending 'advisors'??? WHY?? We've been advising them for a decade. Our advice .... get tough and earn your freedom. Stop running away and instead do your job and face the terrorists. That's free advice to the Iraqis ... no need to send 300 of our best from the 'Teams'.

Advisors is a catch-all for Black-Ops, CIA etc. We have no more training to offer Iraqi forces. We just want to gather sufficient intelligence to drone a few ISIS leaders and keep a look out for any familiar faces we might be hunting for.

Iraq is screwed. They largely made their own bed and we can't support the government they have. We are just there to get a look at what's going on and call in the occasional drone strike, but Iraq's government is going to have to figure out a solution.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
US will send military advisors up to 300

That is what I find dumbfounding.

Who the hell is there to 'advise'.

The won't fight, they either quit or join them.

Talk about an exercise in futility.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Although, I agree we should not get involved in this Civil War.

I have never heard a man say more words that mean absolutely nothing.

It's exhausting trying to even make sense of it...

That 'civil' war has encompassed almost the entirety of the middle east.

Because it is Sunni versus Shia in the real life version of Game of thrones.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

" What is the difference between ISIS and ISIL? Obama keeps saying ISIL, so I'm even more confused"

It is very confusing. I've been following the story on Aljazeera and they prefer ISIL; they claim it stands for "Islamic State in Syrian and the Levant". US Media outlets prefer ISIS which they claim stands for "Islamic State in Syria and Iraq".

You'll find a discussion of the meaning of the term "Levant" at:
en.wikipedia.org...

Only Allah knows which is the right term and he hasn't talked to me in years.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The Iraqi's wanted air support not embassy guards,without air superiority you have to engage 3 on one to attack a position and its harder to get the concentration of firepower needed the iraqis have artillery but ISIS moves around to much for this to be brought to bear in many cases.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
These groups have been slaughtering each other for hundreds of years. What would make us think we can stop it? Their culture is one of violence and attempts to eliminate each other. Let them; they will either mature or wipe themselves out.

Saddam contained it through brutality and force and anyone not willing to use the same methods will not be able to control it I'm afraid. We need to butt out entirely and help our friends protect their borders.

Obama should not be even talking to Iraq in my opinion. Place those advisers and resources in places like Jordan and instead. That would make sense. Even boots on the ground in Jordan might be in order just to maintain the borders.

I think it's more important they keep it contained than trying to stop it.

I'm not at all impressed by Obama's words. Just more "I know, I'll get up in front of the camera and say some stuff, so I can say I said some stuff".

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

These groups have been slaughtering each other for hundreds of years. What would make us think we can stop it? Their culture is one of violence and attempts to eliminate each other. Let them; they will either mature or wipe themselves out.

I think that is our only real option.

We have been damned for doing.

We have been damned for not doing.

Better for US if they are busy fighting among themselves than us.

Than getting in the middle.

Then address the 'victor'.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio

the Jihadist group ISIS was focused on becoming imbedded in the land area of Syria+Iraq, by attracting maverick warriors who see AQ as mainly a puppet rebel group

the Jihadist Army ISIL has the purpose of creating a Caliphate(principally a Sunni following) with control over portions of the lands in Syria+Iraq+Iran+Turkey, Lebanon & possibly Jordan.... this Caliphate would align with the Arabia because they are the keepers of Mecca & Medina

Let's ask why ISIS became ISIL almost overnight

it was because a run-of-the-mill "AQ affiliate"... got the marching orders from a 'sponser State' such as Saudi Arabia & all of a sudden a leader of Sunni acclaim was said to have been 'chosen' to lead this Army..

Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi suddenly sprang into solid existence instead of being a phantom/mythic figure to lead the 'Black-Flag' armies to create the Chaos & necessary manpower for the reborn 'Caliphate' to become a reality in the M.E.

ISIL is a force-to-be-reckoned-with because the Saudi Monarchy gave them a mission to conduct...
even as the USA peace process (with a stable Iraq) was completely trampled by the Caliphate desiring/Mahdi delivering actions by the Regime that desires to crush the 'great satan'=USA... the former ally & co-conspirator of the Petro-Dollar
[U know who]

Did you hear any Question, from the Obama-in-the-WH-person of how/why...a (covert CIA) sponsored AQ affiliate & radical Jihadist "ISIS" group of fighters... suddenly pulled out of fighting-in-Syria and decided to break-apart or destroy the government of Iraq ??? in a city-by-city campaign of atrocities to Shia populations ???
NO--- that was not addressed

but the inference was that USA Intel of Iraq was insufficient, ergo the 300 men being shipped over to Iraq to augment security/intel

total run-around...
the Saudi's are the perps to destroy all the decade plus of American money & treasure sunk into that outhouse
edit on th30140321401219402014 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
The Iraqi's wanted air support not embassy guards,without air superiority you have to engage 3 on one to attack a position and its harder to get the concentration of firepower needed the iraqis have artillery but ISIS moves around to much for this to be brought to bear in many cases.

Hmmm Initially I purported the inevitable fall of Baghdad to the Sunni ISIL lead insurgence.....Until I saw that embassy, It would be a reasonable strategy for the US to state initially its intent to protect their embassy, that if it requires escalation via the return of more troops, that would THEN receive popular support as no American will allow it to fall .... no one wants Benghazi again.

Another thing, Going into an election soonish this will buy time to not commit America to another war. International politics is going to be an a squabble point between Dems and Repubs.
Interesting to imagine the political debates that will take place regardless of if they go in or not. At the end of the day these decisions are fuelled ultimately by voter numbers

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Yep, the link I posted above is from Business Insider, it has a lot of pictures and descriptions. Apparently it cost $751 million. It has it's own wells for water, irrigation, sewage, and power plant. There's a shopping center too for the employees and contractors to spend their "hazard pay".

That thing is massive. Yeah, we're not going to just hand that huge compound over to the Iraqi's or ISIL/ISIS.

The embassy is like its own city, America carved itself out a wee town in the middle east at last.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Perhaps explain how you think Turkey is different. I see an Islamic Caliphate that became a powerful democratic secular state with a majority muslim population.

Turkey are an insult to Islam... Westernised Muslims with a Western agenda.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarknStormy

Perhaps explain how you think Turkey is different. I see an Islamic Caliphate that became a powerful democratic secular state with a majority muslim population.

Turkey are an insult to Islam... Westernised Muslims with a Western agenda.

Maybe to hard liners, but say that to a Turkish Muslim and I'm not sure you'd come out without a bruised eye

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Maybe to hard liners, but say that to a Turkish Muslim and I'm not sure you'd come out without a bruised eye

5:51... Traitors.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Did you hear any Question, from the Obama-in-the-WH-person of how/why...a (covert CIA) sponsored AQ affiliate & radical Jihadist "ISIS" group of fighters... suddenly pulled out of fighting-in-Syria and decided to break-apart or destroy the government of Iraq ??? in a city-by-city campaign of atrocities to Shia populations ???
NO--- that was not addressed

Thats an interesting question you pose, why do you think this has happened? to create a Caliphate?

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

For other thread participants DS is referring to this quote from the Quran
Koran chapter 5 verse 51 says :-

" O YOU who have attained to faith! Do not take the Jews and the Christians for your allies: they are but allies of one another and whoever of you allies himself with them becomes, verily, one of them; behold, God does not guide people who are unjust. "

Ok Ill leave you to spout your hardline muslim beliefs on another thread k?, maybe make one of your own thats not about President Obamas statement on Iraq, (because thats the topic of this thread) and more about your belief that Turkey are traitors to Islam, feel free.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Far too much of our military blood has been shed in Iraq. It's time for them to take a stand.
edit on 19-6-2014 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Doesnt sound like a peaceful religion to me........

If Islam wants to convert people, what good does it do to only associate with other muslims......seems a bit counter productive doesnt it?

Does make sense that this is the mindset of those invading Iraq at the moment

Pretty hardline muslim stance........is there a vomit emote?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join